Looking for Bahamas AIM

pstan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I might have a Bahamas trip coming up. Thought I'd do some reading in advance, just in case. I'm not looking for airport info, I'm looking for pilot procedures. Do the Bahamas have an AIM available on the net?

I'd like to check out any different procedures from the US. Circuit heights, for example, or whether there are any required circuit joining procedures, or required radio calls.

Are ifr procedures any different from the US?

I know there's a Caribbean Pilots Guide out there, however I just won't have access to one for quite a few weeks.

Thanks, Stan

I just got back from my first trip so here is my .02:

No AIM that I could find in my research.

It depends on where you are going. Nassau and Freeport have approaches everywhere else doesn't.

VFR ops are the same standard left traffic, 1000' pattern, etc. However, most of the birds I saw coming and going were straight in, straight out, one call. Keep that in mind.

IFR is also the same.

I have the Garmin Full U.S. Database and that included all of the Bahamas.

Foreflight had charts that went out to Eleuthera (as far as I went).

Picking up IFR clearance in the air is easy.

I have the Caribbean Pilots guide. It's OK. Lot's of ads with a couple of pages describing airports. Personally I keep the $50 and just use the your computer for research.

If I planned to stop anywhere other than Nassau and Freeport and you might need fuel, call first to be sure.

Here are some things I found out:

Many of the smaller airports had an AWOS, ASOS frequency printed. I wouldn't expect those to work.

There is often a low cloud layer ~1000-1500 AGL in the afternoon. Find a way under that visually and just fly in low.

Sometimes you can see a windsock, sometimes not. If you can't ask someone on freq. what the winds are doing, then watch the trees, water, etc. Bush pilot stuff.

Depending on where you are going I would bring good tie downs. We had a night or two of really strong winds and rain.

The only stressful part was making sure every little thing on my customs, eApis stuff was right. That made coming inbound a breeze.

fly ICAO base-leg type instrument approach procedures....

Now that bring up an interesting point. If ICAO base turn procedures are what the Bahamas use, then I should expect a slew of other non US procedures to also apply.

Anyone with a list of Bahamian procedures NOT in accordance with US procedures? That would be so useful.

Alex, good info thanks.

Re: fly ICAO base-leg type instrument approach procedures....

Now that bring up an interesting point. If ICAO base turn procedures are what the Bahamas use, then I should expect a slew of other non US procedures to also apply.

Anyone with a list of Bahamian procedures NOT in accordance with US procedures? That would be so useful.

Alex, good info thanks.

So far as I know, none of them use U.S. TERPs.

I might have a Bahamas trip coming up. Thought I'd do some reading in advance, just in case. I'm not looking for airport info, I'm looking for pilot procedures. Do the Bahamas have an AIM available on the net?

I'd like to check out any different procedures from the US. Circuit heights, for example, or whether there are any required circuit joining procedures, or required radio calls.

Are ifr procedures any different from the US?

I know there's a Caribbean Pilots Guide out there, however I just won't have access to one for quite a few weeks.

Thanks, Stan

There is indeed a Bahamian AIP. To get hold of it you have to get in touch with the Bahamian aviation services unit (long, tedious, slow).

I have managed after weeks of to and fro to eventually get a CD rom copy.

PM for more.

Back