POA Caribbean Adventure Caravan

Where are you staying in Eleuthera? If around Governor's'Harbor I can recommend you a great bar / restaurant (and another one that I'd avoid next time).

Where are you staying in Eleuthera? If around Governor's'Harbor I can recommend you a great bar / restaurant (and another one that I'd avoid next time).

We are at the Sky Beach Club in Governor's Harbor. I'd appreciate the advice.

Tippy's is very cool. You need a ride to get there tho.

Cocodimama - great location, but overpriced for the service. How can you bring COLD racks of lamb to a customer?!

Tippy's is very cool. You need a ride to get there tho.

Cocodimama - great location, but overpriced for the service. How can you bring COLD racks of lamb to a customer?!

Thank's. Tippy's is on the list. We have a WELL used rental car.

Thank's. Tippy's is on the list. We have a WELL used rental car.

Not a tan Nissan perchance :) ?

You can do the afternoon at the Club Med beach and then dine at Tippy's.

Beware of mosquitoes - stock up on DEET (though at some point I was craving a canister of Agent Orange).

Not a tan Nissan perchance :) ?

You can do the afternoon at the Club Med beach and then dine at Tippy's.

Beware of mosquitoes - stock up on DEET (though at some point I was craving a canister of Agent Orange).

I haven't found the mosquitoes that bad. In central America I thought they might carry me off into the jungle they were so large. So I guess it's all relative.:wink2:

Thanks again for the advice.

I haven't found the mosquitoes that bad. In central America I thought they might carry me off into the jungle they were so large. So I guess it's all relative.:wink2:

Give it time... let's talk again once you'll walk through the brushes between the Club Med beach and the road :D

Oh and don't miss fish fry on the beach in GHB. Great ambience.

(actually our ride was a decrepit tan Chevy Malibu now that i think about it).

It's pretty hard to go wrong, it all depends on the atmosphere you want. The Bahamas has so many nice spots. I've always liked Valentines at Harbor Island.

I'm forced to change our planned travel dates, due to work conflicts during the originally planned dates. I know some who attend want to piggyback off Sun 'n Fun, so I'm moving the dates two weeks earlier, so people can END with Sun 'n Fun if they like.

New group departure date is Sunday 3/31/2013. We plan to get back Saturday 4/13 or Sunday 4/14 (which is the final two days of Sun 'n Fun, which runs 4/9-4/14).

I've revised the first post (which will be kept updated with links to current dates and itinerary for quick reference), and post 31, which had the sample itinerary (which I revised to just hop-skip through the Dominican Republic (overfly, or fuel stop if needed) since they're on CDC's Malaria list previously discussed and that might cause issues for those that donate blood regularly. Individual itineraries are WELCOMED, so feel free to adjust dates and stays to meet YOUR desires. This is "loose group travel", so you're on your own for determining where you stay and where you go... I'm not planning any specific group activities or lodging. Individuals in the group should plan their own outings as desired per their interests!

Last edited:
New group departure date is Sunday 3/31/2013. We plan to get back Saturday 4/13 or Sunday 4/14 (which is the final two days of Sun 'n Fun, which runs 4/9-4/14).

Hmmm... I'll likely be in Florida for part of that time frame... Maybe we can do the first leg to the Bahamas or something, too! :)

Our participation is looking less likely. We just needed to replace our air conditioner and heater. Kind of taps our discretionary fund.

Well, if I manage to keep this rotation, I may be able to make it, if so, you're welcome to ride with me.

Tempting! The second issue, then, is how much time I get off in a year. Not much. Oh yeah, and my boyfriend might be not super cool with that. Then again, who knows.

My apologies for not looking at the dates. That is more time off than I get in an entire year, I am only expected to take one week off at the most I'm sure, and I would still have to pay for airfare (to you), hotel, and food. Sorry it is just too much of a stretch. Perhaps I will buy a lottery ticket, since I was just kidding about the lottery - I never buy tickets. Have fun everyone.

Interested...will keep watching this space! We'd fly down commercial from PA and rent an airplane in Florida, I think.

My apologies for not looking at the dates. That is more time off than I get in an entire year, I am only expected to take one week off at the most I'm sure, and I would still have to pay for airfare (to you), hotel, and food. Sorry it is just too much of a stretch. Perhaps I will buy a lottery ticket, since I was just kidding about the lottery - I never buy tickets. Have fun everyone.

A week a year? FMD, I work time on for time off typically, worst is 270 days a year.

you need a new place of employment

A week a year? FMD, I work time on for time off typically, worst is 270 days a year.

No. If you click on Troy's link in the first post you get:

New group departure date is Sunday 3/31/2013. We plan to get back Saturday 4/13 or Sunday 4/14

I would of course have to get over there from SFO and then back again which would add a day or two on top of that.

14 or more days, to me, is two weeks off. I get one day earned vacation per month, so 12 days per year, plus very minimum holidays. That's about 2 and a half weeks off.

My employer does NOT allow rollover from year to year so in January I have "no days earned".

I'm back in! Atlas came through! Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

How many planes do they have 4 rent? I would like to go.....:rolleyes:
Can you PM me the number...been looking for a trip like this but wasn't sure where I coudvrent a plane...

No. If you click on Troy's link in the first post you get:

New group departure date is Sunday 3/31/2013. We plan to get back Saturday 4/13 or Sunday 4/14

I would of course have to get over there from SFO and then back again which would add a day or two on top of that.

14 or more days, to me, is two weeks off. I get one day earned vacation per month, so 12 days per year, plus very minimum holidays. That's about 2 and a half weeks off.

My employer does NOT allow rollover from year to year so in January I have "no days earned".

You need to do something about your employer situation because one day a month vacation is ****ed up.

Okay, I just planned the trip in the Bonanza, and come up with about 26 hours flying, so about $4300 for Leslie and me, not including hotels, meals, etc. is there camping at any of these airports? How much are MREs? LOL

We're very much in the "hope to" category as of now. If someone want to tube it to ORD and split costs :dunno:

Camping will be typically discouraged by not only the local human life, but insect life as well. They want your money, not your company.

Okay, I just planned the trip in the Bonanza, and come up with about 26 hours flying, so about $4300 for Leslie and me, not including hotels, meals, etc. is there camping at any of these airports? How much are MREs? LOL

We're very much in the "hope to" category as of now. If someone want to tube it to ORD and split costs :dunno:

What if we make this first year be just a Bahamas trip?

FWIW, I just booked the Bonanza from March 30 - April 14th. That doesn't mean we're going, but at least we should have a plane!

Excellent, Grant! Remember, folks, you don't have to do the full itinerary... You can just go to the Bahamas if you like. Keeping it flexible allows for the most participants. We'll start putting together a sign up list after the first of the year, so we can iron out logistics such as ensuring there are enough raft kits available for rent from our departure airport. I'll be watching for a deal on a portable EPIRB before then. Saw some I liked at OSH last year. Maybe a group discount would be possible.

Excellent, Grant! Remember, folks, you don't have to do the full itinerary... You can just go to the Bahamas if you like. Keeping it flexible allows for the most participants. We'll start putting together a sign up list after the first of the year, so we can iron out logistics such as ensuring there are enough raft kits available for rent from our departure airport. I'll be watching for a deal on a portable EPIRB before then. Saw some I liked at OSH last year. Maybe a group discount would be possible.

How much cheaper than $175 do you want one?

I already have 2 EPIRBs, albeit the older large ones. I also have two life vests. Might take a raft this time, though. We haven't in the past.

Im already super stoked about the trip - the question is, what (if anything) does myself or my airplane need for international travel?

Im already super stoked about the trip - the question is, what (if anything) does myself or my airplane need for international travel?

paperwork:
The airplane will need a customs sticker, which is only good for the calendar year in which it is purchased, so don't buy it yet.
You'll need a passport.
You're legally required to have an FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators License. No one actually checks it, but...
The plane will need to have a Radio License from the FCC, too.
You'll need an eAPIS account.

Pick up a copy of the Bahamas and Carribean Pilots Guide, and it'll tell you all the stuff you need.

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure we'll have a more detailed posting later with links and more details.

Last edited:

You need to get the sticker from Customs, $25IIRC. Outside of that a Visa or Master Card with some change on it, and a roll of cash if you got it. If you do good at Blackjack at Atlantis I got the number of this Venezuelan girl in Nassau who will blow you away.:yesnod:

You need to get the sticker from Customs, $25IIRC. Outside of that a Visa or Master Card with some change on it, and a roll of cash if you got it. If you do good at Blackjack at Atlantis I got the number of this Venezuelan girl in Nassau who will blow you away.:yesnod:

Now, see, you sometimes actually get advice you can really use! :D

Bouncing this to the top with a hot tip I just got from Jim Parker that might have us change the itinerary a bit. The originally planned route had us stopping at Providenciales in the T&C.

Turks and Caicos Airport Fees Out of Control!!

Fly your plane (less than MTOW 6,000 lbs) to Providenciales for a four night holiday with one pilot and three passengers and pay $485 in airport fees;

Arrive or depart after 4:30 or on weekends or holidays and pay an additional $45 in overtime fees;

Stop for fuel and pay $282 in airport fees;

Comparable fees in the:
Bahamas: $115
Dominican Republic $40
Puerto Rico $20.20
Fuel Stops $0

Back