Caribbean today

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
After grueling 35 minute flight from St. Thomas to La Romana, Dominican Republic we're forced to spend the night at an all inclusive beach resort. This conract pilot work is torture.

I hate the Bahamas. Everyone has their hand out and never feel obligated to provide any service. I've been scammed more in the Bahamas than anywhere else.

$120 van to hotel (hotel quoted at $150 per room per night turned into $400) and van driver PICKED UP A PASSENGER on the way!!!

The place owes it's existence on US tourists and has no problem gouging those same folks. Once I had an overnight and the van dropped us off at the boat taxi to take us to the hotel. While I pay the taxi I turn around and a guy is in my face saying, "I'm the porter". So I throw him $5.00. Turns out he was just a guy hanging out at the dock and never touched our bags. I was scammed yet again.

I hate the Bahamas. Maybe if you have a boat and can get away from the locals. But my experience is ALL the locals are there trying to scam you. I would NEVER EVER go to the Bahamas on my own dime.

I hate the Bahamas. Everyone has their hand out and never feel obligated to provide any service. I've been scammed more in the Bahamas than anywhere else.

$120 van to hotel (hotel quoted at $150 per room per night turned into $400) and van driver PICKED UP A PASSENGER on the way!!!

The place owes it's existence on US tourists and has no problem gouging those same folks. Once I had an overnight and the van dropped us off at the boat taxi to take us to the hotel. While I pay the taxi I turn around and a guy is in my face saying, "I'm the porter". So I throw him $5.00. Turns out he was just a guy hanging out at the dock and never touched our bags. I was scammed yet again.

I hate the Bahamas. Maybe if you have a boat and can get away from the locals. But my experience is ALL the locals are there trying to scam you. I would NEVER EVER go to the Bahamas on my own dime.
Wow. I've been there three times now (2005, 2009, 2011), and NEVER had that experience! Do you work for the Jamaican Board of Tourism or something? :D I've got a friend going down to Cat Island this weekend, who's been there more than I. He's never reported anything like that.

I'm planning a cross country this summer to Florida in a 182. I'd like to head over to the Bahamas for a few days. Any suggestions on places to go?
I'm thinking a couple of nights at a bigger resort and a couple of days somewhere off the beaten path might be just about right.

In the Bahamas my favorite places are probably:
1) Eagle's Nest on Cat Island. Nice place to just relax.
2) Treasure Cay is a nice place to chill. Rent a boat for a day!
3) Staniel Cay. Go swim with the pigs and dive for conch!

They're all off the beaten path!

You just need to know the ways mon...:rofl:

I have 2 trips to St. Kitts this month. I don't know why for us the good caribbean trips can't be in the December to March timeframe.

Lance there is a reason that you go all inclusive in the DR. Enjoy the opportunity.

I attended a lecture at Sun 'n Fun this year by the fellow that runs the below site. He has incredible cred on the subject. Suggest anyone thinking about flying to the islands spend the money he wants for his advice. No connection on my part and all that. Just very impressed.

http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/

I attended a lecture at Sun 'n Fun this year by the fellow that runs the below site. He has incredible cred on the subject. Suggest anyone thinking about flying to the islands spend the money he wants for his advice. No connection on my part and all that. Just very impressed.

http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/

I've been on a trip to the Cayman's with them, very well organized and very professionally run. Excellent operation IMO and wouldn't hesitate to go again. If you are going on your own and would like some assistance with or a check on your paperwork, he's good on that as well.

Lance there is a reason that you go all inclusive in the DR. Enjoy the opportunity.

I don't get involved in getting the hotels. I really don't know what else is available in the La Romana area.

Been to Grand Bahama several times via commercial. Never met anyone that wasn't awesome, helpful, friendly, etc. But we went to the east end (or halfway there) immediately. My parents stayed in Freeport a few times and never had a bad experience.

Been to Grand Bahama several times via commercial. Never met anyone that wasn't awesome, helpful, friendly, etc. But we went to the east end (or halfway there) immediately. My parents stayed in Freeport a few times and never had a bad experience.

Port Lucaya is the best spot on GB.

Port Lucaya is the best spot on GB.

We stayed in an American dude's house in Pelican Point. I don't think he still rents it or I'd go every year. Awesome house with truck and two nice jet ski's included. Right across the street from a church, the preacher, Freddy, took care of the house when the other was away. His son, William, took us fishing a couple times, even taught me how to catch lobster with a spear.... Nobody on the beach for MILES....beautiful....

edit: looks like it's back up for rent! http://www.vrbo.com/91579#rates

Last edited:

I was down on Elbow cay in February, flew into March Harbor and did not see anything like what you described.

I think it's your uncanny ability to find jerks everywhere.

Back