Mooney M20J

tonyholland00

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tony Holland
Hello I am looking to buy a M20J Mooney. I have looked at all of the online classifieds and want to put this out in case someone knows of a hanger queen in there respective area that might be for sale.

Looking at spending around 115k tops. Would like lower 3000 or less TT and under 1000 SMOH.

Let me know if you know of any around your area.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony yes I know of one. There is a POAer actually two who have a magnificent M20J they are looking to sell. I'll ping them and tell them to sign in and give you the info. It is a beautiful plane. Expect to be contacted by either Bill or Brent.

Has Kent's uncle's airplane sold? Not an M20J but darn nice too. Bumper crop of Mooneys out there right now. Ping Flyingcheezhead here also.

Why do you care about TT on a Mooney airframe? My research indicated that is a poor sort criteria.

Why do you care about TT on a Mooney airframe? My research indicated that is a poor sort criteria.

One good reason would be because other people do. Especially if the plane isn't one you plan to own up until the day of your funeral and you plan on putting 3,000 or so hours on it fast.

I personally don't think it is a huge deal, just seems that many of the lower hour airframes have less wear and tear on the interior ect.... Not to say all are that way. I would be happy to have a higher TT airframe with an owner that really babied his plane.

Our Flying club is searching and they have put this down as a sort criteria. I am not letting it stop me from looking at all options though.

Has Kent's uncle's airplane sold?

Nope...

Not an M20J but darn nice too.

It's also quite a bit above the OP's stated budget, which is why I didn't mention it before.

Tony, if you are interested, my late uncle's 1996 M20R (Ovation) is for sale. He absolutely babied it. It's not quite as efficient as an M20J/201 by default, but you can have the option of pulling it back OR going faster and get better climb rates as well. Let me know if you want more info...

Our Flying club is searching and they have put this down as a sort criteria. I am not letting it stop me from looking at all options though.

Wait... Are you buying the Mooney for your flying club, or yourself? If you're buying it for a club, have you checked into insurance? It's next to impossible to insure a Mooney for more than 5 people. :(

Wait... Are you buying the Mooney for your flying club, or yourself? If you're buying it for a club, have you checked into insurance? It's next to impossible to insure a Mooney for more than 5 people. :(

Nah, it'll just be $10k a year per $100k

Tony, Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a spec sheet and some pics of the Mooney I have for sale. Thanks!

This is for a flying club we are having to switch insurance vendors.

Ended up saving us money selling a Cherokee 180 and adding a Mooney. Guess this goes to show that you should shop insurance vendors every few years. :yikes:

Tony, Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a spec sheet and some pics of the Mooney I have for sale. Thanks!

This is a nice, nice plane! :yes:

Ended up saving us money selling a Cherokee 180 and adding a Mooney. Guess this goes to show that you should shop insurance vendors every few years. :yikes:

I was in a flying club for several years. They had been using the same insurance company for over 20 years and kept saying what a good deal they were getting. I thought it was very high priced but every time I mentioned it at renewal time the other members didn't want to even look at any other company because the insurance agent had been such a great guy. When I became president the renewal quote came in a $27000 for the 2 182s and the Mooney 201. I shopped around and got a better policy from Avemco for $11500. So yes it pays to shop for insurance. Don

Huh... Cool. Well I'm glad you found one that'll do a Mooney! I think Troy was in a flying club that had two Mooneys and had to sell them because they couldn't insure them after many accident-free years.

However, it also occurs to me that the Des Moines Flying Club has a pair of Mooneys too. Might want to contact them if you have any questions on operating Mooneys in a club.

They're great planes - So many OWT's out there floating around about Mooneys, but I've found most of them to be untrue. Good luck with your search and enjoy the plane!

BTW, I second what others are saying about Bill and Brent's 201. Beautiful, well-equipped plane.

Back