Linux User Base

RothLife

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Just curious how many forum users use Linux? (I use Ubuntu)

Which flavor do you prefer and what flavors have you tried?

Answering my own question:

• RedHat
  • Mandrake
  • GenToo (Then I decided I wanted a life outside compiling source code)
  • Ubuntu

I've been using Ubuntu for several years now and love it.

And if anyone is interested in trying a FREE operating system that out performs Micro$haft, give Linux a try... I'm sure anyone answering this thread has a flavor they would recommend for you. And since I'm posting the comment, I recommend Ubuntu for those new to Linux who don't want many of the admin hassles: http://www.ubuntu.com/

As stand-alone (like a PC) or built into something? A lot of my purification systems have Linux as the OS, but you only know during instrument start-up and if you manage to go directly into the files (user's don't do so directly).

I use whatever they're paying me to use.

I do not play with computers for fun.

I do not have a favorite programming language.

I do not sit home writing code for a new game/app/whatever.

I passed that point many years ago.

Linux pays my bills.

I use whatever they're paying me to use.

I do not play with computers for fun.

I do not have a favorite programming language.

I do not sit home writing code for a new game/app/whatever.

I passed that point many years ago.

That's too bad. It's the people that do the above that I'm always looking for. It's hard to innovate if you don't love it anymore.

Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, Custom rolled ones for thin clients), FreeBSD, iOS, AIX, SCO (yes), Windows XP, Vista 7, OS X.

For home I use Windows 7, for work I use JDeveloper on a Ubuntu box.

I like Linux I've been using it Since 1997 (Red Hat 4, I think), I'm more comfortable on a Unix clone/variant when hacking around but for checking my email and playing flight sims, Linux doesn't cut it. And the fact that I have popular, modern but not cutting edge hardware and I spent approx 9 hours getting my screen resolution to an acceptable level shows me Linux isn't serious about home users. They also need to decide on a package managment system and use it. being at the mercy of apt-get or having to compile from source and spending 2 days sorting out library dependencies isn't what folks are looking for. For a LAMP stack, it's wonderful.

That's too bad. It's the people that do the above that I'm always looking for. It's hard to innovate if you don't love it anymore.

Jesse --- if I spent my time playing with the computer I'd have no time to fly, to sail, to travel, to be with friends, etc.

Ok, but since the question got asked...(and please, don't take this the wrong way. Nate knows me and understands my warped sense of humor)

I do not play with computers. I use other people's computers to solve problems. Space & terrestrial weather forecasting. Spacecraft orbits not around Earth. Geophysical research (same algorithms as weather, just a completely different timescale). Aircraft avionics and other systems.

The type of computers I usually work with are not available at Best Buy or Radio Shack or [fill in the blank], and often require a financial statement along with the purchase order. The type of projects I work on have lots of zeros. Lots of different types/brands/kinds of computers & software all trying to play nicely with each other.

All *nix flavors (past, present & probably future), embedded & real-time systems, programming languages and operating systems that disappeared before you were born, programming languages & operating systems that should have disappeared before you were born, and so on.

I've yet to meet a programming language (turing, functional or otherwise) I couldn't master in a week.

Database systems? Which flavor - relational, hierarchical or network? I'll be working on NoSQL as soon as I get around to installing Hadoop.

The advantage of a classical computer science education (and is constantly continuing) and far too many years (decades?) of industry experience.

Right now I'm more interested in why, with 4 brand new cylinders and an overhauled engine, the new #3 cylinder is running hot in climb and not in cruise.

I started with Slakware 0.9 running a packet system back in... I don't even remember when, but it was on a 386SX with 4MB, if I recall correctly. When I started an ISP in 1994 -- the second one in this area, and the first to do so without a lot of university and government money -- we used BSDI, which was the commercial version of BSD. We added some Red Hat machines afterward, back when their logo was the walking guy. I was a RedHat user for a long time. Now I'm running CentOS on a couple of servers (meh...) Fedora on one, and Mint on my desktop. For work I use a Windows XP corporate image laptop (with dock and extra monitor) to work on Linux, Slowaris and HPUX (ick) as well as Windows Server 2K3 and 2K8 systems. Oh, and I have an Ubuntu system running my CNC machine. I'm less than impressed with Ubuntu. I still like Fedora as a server OS, but their move to that insane, horrible iPhone style GUI is what drove me to Mint.

Just curious how many forum users use Linux? (I use Ubuntu)

Which flavor do you prefer and what flavors have you tried?

It pays my bills. Or should I say, Asterisk and Tomcat do. And a little Perl for glue. And OpenFire, LAMP, postfix, sendmail, and tons of other stuff that doesn't really care what distro you run it on. ;)

Prefer: Debian. Raw Debian. The reality is though that RedHat is the Corporate world's standard, even though it is significantly inferior in many ways. Main example: In-place upgrades not working between major releases is a Release Critical bug in Debian and derivatives. RedHat says "suck it -- back up your data and reinstall," which is a complete joke for an "Enterprise Class" product in 2012.

CentOS: At work, it's all about servers. They have zero need for "commercial support" so it's CentOS.

Since reproducibility and consistency are huge in a server "farm", I've slowly been killing off anything that's not CentOS 5.8 or 6.2. I'd prefer not to have two, but there's always an interim period where not everything is regression tested for Production on the newer version of an OS.

There is one... RedHat 8 box still in Production. It's a bear to move it. It has been up an impressive 3.25 years without a reboot. It's going to have to be "forklifted" out later this summer.

The list of Distros I've used enough to say I know or knew them well-enough to fix 'em:

(Any resemblance to the order of popularity of the top 100 Distros at DistroWatch.com is purely because otherwise I'd never remember them all.) :)

Mint - loaded to see what hubbub was about. They install non-free CODECs and have a decent graphical way to do basic sysadmin. Not surprising it's popular with folks who want to use Linux on the desktop. Not my cup o' tea.

Ubuntu - Shuttleworth stole some of the most talented Linux individuals around from Debian when he started this project. Go figure. People like to get paid. Solid system. Good for newbies who do NOT want to learn Unix. ;) GNOME 3 is god-awful.

Fedora - Dog's breakfast. All the openness of truly building from source, but done with slapped together package management, and almost as little planning. Great to see what's coming next in RHEL and works better on non- server hardware. Again GNOME 3 is god-awful. We use some EPEL packages in Production when necessary.

"Old" RedHat - Started around RedHat 5.1 with this one. Used all of 'em.

RHEL/CentOS - what usually makes my money. Whoever decided to put NetworkManager on a server distro by default, should be tortured and killed slowly and painfully. RedHat proper has gone fully to the "let's make tons of money" model after discussions with them about pricing a conversion of our CentOS environment last year. Good about releasing most of what they do as Open Source and supporting the "Community" though. Most kernel.org work is done by people paid on their staff and other major hardware manufacturers. If you want a warm fuzzy that someone will answer Linux questions when your staff calls an 800 number, break out the checkbook and bend over. CentOS suffers from "distro lag" since they just rebuild RHEL, and it's almost press overly bad how much they have to contact the upstream "pros" to fix their release Spec files that don't actually build. I think RH enjoys messing with them. :)

Debian - The root of Ubuntu and requires getting just down and dirty enough that you'll learn something. Upgrades cleanly. Very developer-centric which can lead to really retarded stuff in the design but screaming good documentation as to why, if you can handle the S/N ratio of their mailing lists and wikis. I get along well with this distro. Most folks don't. I started at the "potato" release.

Slackware - All the goodness of Linux, mixed with all the insanity of a BSD. Small and lightweight, but generally run by one guy.

SuSE: Linux by crazy Germans. Nothing else needs be said. I hear it's one of Torvalds favorites.

Mandriva - Long ago they had a nifty graphical installer before anyone else. I loaded it and played with it and everyone copied their idea. Nothing new or interesting since.

Knoppix - the granddaddy of all the "run from CD-ROM" Distros. Have used it and tons of other "flavors" as rescue CDs over the years. Also based off of Debian originally.

Clonezilla - Another pioneer. Everything they did could be done by hand, but has always made things easier if you wanted to give someone a disc and say "go image that machine".

Gentoo - Same sentiment as you. Got old rebuilding OpenOffice. :) New processor is a better way to get a 2% speed boost vs compiling for specific hardware.

YellowDog - Anyone who really does/did Mac and Linux before Mac moved to Intel hardware either did it with Debian or YellowDog. YellowDog's real gift to the world was "yum", which caught RedHat up to the quality of package management in Debian. Without yum, and stuck with raw "rpm", RedHat's package management tools were sub-standard at the time. Without yum, modern RH admins would be lost.

Linux From Scratch - If you really want to understand what Linux is about from the ground up, this is the way to find out. You need to make sure you have no life and nothing else to do for a few months. ;)

I don't know. There's more. And lots of Solaris on real server iron, and some AIX (and pains), and HP-UX.

Ultimately it comes down to knowing and using Unix at the command line. Linux on the desktop is a never-ending stream of changing half-baked GUI paradoxes.

I use OSX on the desktop. Integrated GUI for the day-to-day, command line Unix under the hood. I spend most of my day in a Terminal session, logged into various Linux boxes while still having the Corporate-required Microsoft Outlook a Command-Tab window switch away. And a Linux VM or two for development, testing, or tools that aren't cross-platform. A Windows VM for ONE stinking vendor's website that requires MSIE. Best or worst of all world's.

Oh. I forgot to list all the BSD flavors. OpenBSD is still by far the most paranoid Unix ever built. But then again, Theo is so paranoid he can't even keep a business deal with most sponsors, so... well. Whatever.

And someone else said SCO. Yeah. Me too on that one. Real SCO from when they were the Santa Cruz Organization, not the icky Corporate patent troll edition of the company. :)

Real SCO from when they were the Santa Cruz Organization, not the icky Corporate patent troll edition of the company.
I had several boxed copies of SCO Unix at one time... but they didn't have a TCP/IP stack, making them singularly useless.

My employer has standardized on RHEL mostly running in VMWare ESX farms. Thousands upon thousands of VMs, on several thousand ESX machines. Then there are the ZLinux hordes. And Windows servers, of course. Along with all of the other stuff. But as a general rule if it's commercial and has ever been sold, we have it running somewhere. That's what pays the bills and feeds the family.

Good to see another Asterisk user here. I have a small system, but I've been learning more as I focus on making it fault tolerant. I've got one local and one remote (a hosted VM) talking via IAX2, and have got inbound and outbound FAX/email working quite well. Right now I'm about to move my home land line to a TDM400 analog card so I can use the blacklist to start squishing telemarketers.

For fun I write PIC firmware in C. That's what pays for my flying habit. :)

I've been using Linux as my primary desktop since about 1997. I've tried/used most of them over the years, but Redhat/Fedora/CentOS are primary (writing this on Ubuntu, however).

CentOS at work, BSD at home.

I have one box at home running Mint 11.
It's not my primary OS yet, but I'm heading in
that direction.

I've been using Ubuntu/Debian for a while. Beats M$ windows. I'm not 100% happy with the direction canonical is taking Ubuntu, though.

I've been using Linux on and off since around 2001. After playing around with a few distros I started using Gentoo for a while, but as Nate said recompiling everything overnight on upgrade got old pretty quick. My personal server still runs it because I haven't had a need to wipe it and start over, but for any new installs I'll generally go with ubuntu-server if the hardware is newer, or debian if it's older. I dislike RedHat and all it's clones, but I can get by if I need to.

My main work machine runs Windows 7, though, and my personal laptop is a MacBook.

Soon I think I'm going to start working on a home media server that will translate between the Tivo in the family room and the Apple TV in the bedroom.

I work in/with pretty much whatever the distro was thrown down that supports the databases. RHEL, SuSE, Oracle Un(cough)breakable ...

My desktop is XP because I hate Windows 7 (ok, I hate every windoze upgrade that leaves me hunting for "where the #*$@( did they hide the ___ (desired function) on THIS upgrade?" and my laptop is Windows 7 because that's what they handed me. Home machines are Solaris (old), Mac O/S, SuSE, and one (@#$@#$?& windoze 7.

Comcast brain-deaded my TiVos when they went all-digital and I didn't want to buy new HD digital TiVos, nor did I want I/R blasters and DTV boxes all over, so I stood up a Windows 7 Home box with MediaCenter ... what a royal pain in the butt that has been.

My wife declared it "broken and unusable" within the first 2 hours and refuses to even acknowledge it any more. I left Windoze automatic updates enabled, and the first update cycle broke the Video display and lost the TV as 2nd monitor. Finally found out this setup apparently has to have dotNet 3.5 and Visual Studio C++ library something dot older_than_current.

Replaced those, disabled auto-updates and it's been working ok since then.

So, last night (to get back to *nix), I need to VPN into a customer site for updates and they're running Cisco VPN. My laptop is 64bit Windoze, and Cisco VPN client is 32bit only. no go ... VPN into my desktop (32bit WinXP) and as soon as I launch the Cisco VPN, I get disconnected from my desktop. Hmmm, ok, found a Cisco VPN for Mac O/S, downloaded, configured and connected directly to the client.

Last edited:
You know, I have been wanting to set up a DVR for quite some time. I've looked at MythTV and like it. The biggest problem I see is, no digital cable without a CableCard, and even with that we'd lose the program guide, on-demand, etc. So at least for the time being we're stuck with just the cable box, and if we miss an episode of something there's always Bittorrent. I had hopes for an HDMI capture solution after HDCP was broken, but haven't seen it yet.

I work in/with pretty much whatever the distro was thrown down that supports the databases. RHEL, SuSE, Oracle Un(cough)breakable ...

My desktop is XP because I hate Windows 7 (ok, I hate every windoze upgrade that leaves me hunting for "where the #*$@( did they hide the ___ (desired function) on THIS upgrade?" and my laptop is Windows 7 because that's what they handed me. Home machines are Solaris (old), Mac O/S, SuSE, and one (@#$@#$?& windoze 7.

Comcast brain-deaded my TiVos when they went all-digital and I didn't want to buy new HD digital TiVos, nor did I want I/R blasters and DTV boxes all over, so I stood up a Windows 7 Home box with MediaCenter ... what a royal pain in the butt that has been.

My wife declared it "broken and unusable" within the first 2 hours and refuses to even acknowledge it any more. I left Windoze automatic updates enabled, and the first update cycle broke the Video display and lost the TV as 2nd monitor. Finally found out this setup apparently has to have dotNet 3.5 and Visual Studio C++ library something dot older_than_current.

Replaced those, disabled auto-updates and it's been working ok since then.

So, last night (to get back to *nix), I need to VPN into a customer site for updates and they're running Cisco VPN. My laptop is 64bit Windoze, and Cisco VPN client is 32bit only. no go ... VPN into my desktop (32bit WinXP) and as soon as I launch the Cisco VPN, I get disconnected from my desktop. Hmmm, ok, found a Cisco VPN for Mac O/S, downloaded, configured and connected directly to the client.

Where'd you find that Cisco VPN Client for Mac O/S? Was it AnyConnect? I need a copy for linux, they seem to have pulled the download for linux a few months back and I lost my copy.

Heh heh. That last one made me laugh. Wish we could have chatted more at dinner the other night at dinner Greg. The dreaded "this table is too long" syndrome, which you database guys know really well! (Different kind of table. Haha!)

CentOS for my Web servers.

Windows7 at home for Web Development. I use Adobe CS, I like it, and I don't feel like changing (nor buying a Mac). I also do most of my posting on this and other boards from Windows because it breaks up my "work" time (some would say I use the term loosely...).

Debian for most other stuff.

I also have a few Ubuntu machines scattered throughout the house, and I'm thinking about trying Mint.

-Rich

I'm also thinking about trying Mint again as a desktop after reading that they're on the warpath to kill GNOME 3 with MATE.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/04/16/1517236/mate-desktop-12-released

Dear GNOME 3 devs. I already HAVE a tablet, thanks. Using up my giant monitor to show me giant buttons larger than my head to launch applications, really doesn't do it for me. It's not a touch-screen. And please dont get me started on the underlying "database" underneath your GUI now. Have you heard of the problems caused by this thing called a "Registry" in other desktop OSs!?

Heh heh.

Go MATE! -- Let's see what contender number 10,000 brings to the Linux desktop "user experience".

Here's hoping they built a UI model first, then coded...

https://developer.apple.com/library...iples.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000353-TP6

Where'd you find that Cisco VPN Client for Mac O/S? Was it AnyConnect? I need a copy for linux, they seem to have pulled the download for linux a few months back and I lost my copy.

pm sent ... ah heck, never mind ... if it's on google it's already public, right? Google Cisco VPN Mac UC Davis

or go here:
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/remoteaccess/downloadclient.html
then scroll down to the Mac paragraph - there's a download link

Edit - here's a funny "can't see the forest for the trees" ... right there on that page is a 64bit Winders version ... I was told it was still beta.

Last edited:
Best Mac VPN software I've came across is VPN Tracker.

I'm also thinking about trying Mint again as a desktop after reading that they're on the warpath to kill GNOME 3 with MATE.
It's the sole reason I am running Mint. I upgraded to Fedora 16 and was shocked at how badly the Gnome 3 UI sucked. I gave it a couple of days while I tried to figure out how to make it work. Apparently the devs think I should just change my "work flow" to match the UI, then it will all be peachy again. Umm, no. And the "fallback mode" was irreparably brain damaged. As much as I hate scorched earth builds of my own desktop, it's what I ended up doing. Mint works fine, and doesn't make my 22" monitor look like an oversized iThingie.

Centos5 at work. Changing jobs Monday and will use Debian

I've been using Gnome 3's fallback mode (Ubuntu) and it has a feel similar to Gnome 2... I agree I can't stand Gnome 3. Although I've been told that it is mostly how the Ubuntu dev's set it up out of the box. Supposedly (although I've not verified) Fedora has Gnome 3 configured better out of the box...

Supposedly (although I've not verified) Fedora has Gnome 3 configured better out of the box...
Not in my experience. It drove me, a long time Red Hat & Fedora user and devotee, to Mint.

I run Fedora 16 at home. I run Ubuntu on my laptop at home.

I also run OpenSuse on a few severs and a few debian servers. I don't run Windows anywhere but work and only use OSX as the joke it is intended to be.

Fedora on the remote server that I'm about to "fire". Still working on a replacement plan - will have a choice of OS. FreeBSD on my main local server.

Isn't Android some form of UNIX? And while we are at it, Linksys routers were all UNIX based systems. DD:WRT uses linksys's original source then enhances it. OSX is UNIX too.

I use vpnc, works fine with Cisco VPN concentrators. Rumors are that re-keying is broken in it, but I never had a chance to look closely into it, and it works fine otherwise.

I use vpnc, works fine with Cisco VPN concentrators. Rumors are that re-keying is broken in it, but I never had a chance to look closely into it, and it works fine otherwise.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Back