Do you remove the squatchee

Garthur

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
retman
A squatchee is the fabric covered button on the top of a baseball hat. When I first started flying, I would get bad head pain in the center top of my head. With a headset over a baseball hat, the little button on the top of the hat would slowly dig a hole into my skull and ruin a good flight.

All my baseball hats now have the squatchee removed. I take wire dikes and snip them off. No more head pain, and long flights are pain free.

A squatchee is the fabric covered button on the top of a baseball hat. When I first started flying, I would get bad head pain in the center top of my head. With a headset over a baseball hat, the little button on the top of the hat would slowly dig a hole into my skull and ruin a good flight.

All my baseball hats now have the squatchee removed. I take wire dikes and snip them off. No more head pain, and long flights are pain free.

My headsets don't seal up when I have a hat on. I take the hat off when flying.

Yup, I take wire cutters to all of them. I have to have some sort of hat when I fly, I need it to keep the sun out of my eyes. I'm just so sensitive.

I almost always wear a ballcap with my headset and have never had a problem with the button....never knew it had its own name either.

If the weight of the headset is seriously driving the button into your skull....sounds like you have a headset issue.

Ain't got no button.
21e5d427d49daef85f46e3e961ce612c.image.400x293.JPG

But I usually don't wear it with a headset.

I had a Tilly knockoff that I used to wear, headset and all. Just barely worked.

???

You got some funny shaped head there Ed?

No, it's just that I get a better seal with the headsets with no hat. Same with glasses. I wear my glasses over/on top of the earseals rather, as well.

I suppose you could just wear a visor and not have that problem - but then you might get a sunburned head if you're bald on top (like me)- and are flying something with a clear canopy. Hats or visors are generally unnecessary in high wingers (such as my 182) - but here are times when going head-on into the sun that the plane's visors don't quite cut it. I have used my baseball cap on such occasions - and encountered the problem.

Dave

Hat buttons can stay on non-flying hats. On flying hats, they're history. ;)

I have a hat with no button... but in reality, I always avoid the problem by forgetting it and leaving it in the truck.

I almost always wear a ballcap with my headset and have never had a problem with the button....never knew it had its own name either.

If the weight of the headset is seriously driving the button into your skull....sounds like you have a headset issue.

I did use David Clarks, but now I use Bose head sets. It could be my head, I've been told that I have a pinhead.:eek:

You haven't lived until you hit heavy turbulence and the cabin roof
pounds the headset band down onto that button, thereby driving
that button into the top of your head like a ball peen hammer.
Don't ask me how I know this. :cryin:

You haven't lived until you hit heavy turbulence and the cabin roof
pounds the headset band down onto that button, thereby driving
that button into the top of your head like a ball peen hammer.
Don't ask me how I know this. :cryin:

There used to be this really nice 150 in the hangar across from me. It was flying along one day when it passed under a jet sufficiently close to hit the wing tip vortex. The turbulence was sufficient to knock the passenger unconscious and total the airplane, though it was still flyable. What really stood out in this context was the squatchee-shaped dent poking out of the roof of the aircraft. The pilot had gone up through the headliner and into the metal of the roof.

Last edited:
Ball caps are pretty worthless as hats. I've got several dozen hats but my wife usually makes off with all my ball/golf caps. The tilley or a straw fedora for the summers and a proper felt cap for the winter.

I only wear ball caps when I fly. But they are invaluable in the airplane, and I always have a hat when I land.

I have two caps that I wear all the time and neither have the squatchee on them. I didn't remove them they just never had them. What is their purpose in life anyway? I never really figured that one out.

I did wear one hat on my last lesson that has it on there but didn't notice any problems with my headset. Maybe next time I will wear that one again just as an experiment.

I don't wear hats, except for extended outdoor activities (e.g. long hikes in the sun) and then it will be a fabric Indiana Jones style hat.

I have two caps that I wear all the time and neither have the squatchee on them. I didn't remove them they just never had them. What is their purpose in life anyway? I never really figured that one out.
Attachment point for the propeller, obviously.

Perhaps this might do it (with apologies to Terry Jones and Michael Palin):

Man: You sit here, dear.
Wife: All right.
Man: Morning!
Waitress: Morning!
Man: Well, what've you got?
Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and squatchee; egg bacon and squatchee; egg bacon sausage and squatchee; squatchee bacon sausage and squatchee; squatchee egg squatchee squatchee bacon and squatchee; squatchee sausage squatchee squatchee bacon squatchee tomato and squatchee;
Vikings: Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee...
Waitress: ...squatchee squatchee squatchee egg and squatchee; squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee baked beans squatchee squatchee squatchee...
Vikings: Squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee!
Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and squatchee.
Wife: Have you got anything without squatchee?
Waitress: Well, there's squatchee egg sausage and squatchee, that's not got much squatchee in it.
Wife: I don't want ANY squatchee!
Man: Why can't she have egg bacon squatchee and sausage?
Wife: THAT'S got squatchee in it!
Man: Hasn't got as much squatchee in it as squatchee egg sausage and squatchee, has it?
Vikings: Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee... (Crescendo through next few lines...)
Wife: Could you do the egg bacon squatchee and sausage without the squatchee then?
Waitress: Urgghh!
Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like squatchee!
Vikings: Lovely squatchee! Wonderful squatchee!
Waitress: Shut up!
Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon squatchee and sausage without the squatchee.
Wife: I don't like squatchee!
Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your squatchee. I love it. I'm having squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee beaked beans squatchee squatchee squatchee and squatchee!
Vikings: Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee. Lovely squatchee! Wonderful squatchee!
Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.
Man: Well could I have her squatchee instead of the baked beans then?
Waitress: You mean squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)
Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee. Lovely squatchee! Wonderful squatchee! Squatchee squa-a-a-a-a-tchee squatchee squa-a-a-a-a-tchee squatchee. Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee!

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and squatchee; egg bacon and squatchee; egg bacon sausage and squatchee; squatchee bacon sausage and squatchee; squatchee egg squatchee squatchee bacon and squatchee; squatchee sausage squatchee squatchee bacon squatchee tomato and squatchee;
Waitress: ...squatchee squatchee squatchee egg and squatchee; squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee baked beans squatchee squatchee squatchee...
Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and squatchee.
Waitress: Well, there's squatchee egg sausage and squatchee, that's not got much squatchee in it.
Man: Hasn't got as much squatchee in it as squatchee egg sausage and squatchee, has it?
Vikings: Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee... (Crescendo through next few lines...)
Wife: Could you do the egg bacon squatchee and sausage without the squatchee then?
Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon squatchee and sausage without the squatchee.
Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your squatchee. I love it. I'm having squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee beaked beans squatchee squatchee squatchee and squatchee!
Vikings: Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee. Lovely squatchee! Wonderful squatchee!
Waitress: You mean squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)
Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee. Lovely squatchee! Wonderful squatchee! Squatchee squa-a-a-a-a-tchee squatchee squa-a-a-a-a-tchee squatchee. Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Lovely squatchee! Squatchee squatchee squatchee squatchee!

Just for turning the SPAM skit into this should earn a high billing. Too bad there isn't comedy on TV like Pythons anymore.

We should get, like, a million hits now!

But how best to take advantage of it?

Should I post my picture in this thread so I can be discovered by some Hollywood producer and get a part in the "Real Geezers of Detroit" show or something?

Who lives in a pineappple under the sea?

Spongebob Squatchee?

Last edited:
If only I hadn't typo'd it. Hey, I was trying to get out the door for a flying lesson! :)

Back