Collection of handy aviation documents

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
Hello,

This is an unabashed attempt to increase my reputation points.

I'm attaching some useful documents, if you like them feel free to give me a thumbs up vote on reputation. If you don't like the documents feel free to move on to the next thread.

Edit...it turns out that the files I want to upload are either too big or the wrong file type...sorry...stay tuned for further info.

Edit 2...just a note .XLS file types are invalid for uploading....so...I zipped those files and the one word document that was too big and uploaded them as part of additional messages in this thread.

Thanks,

Len

P.S. Please vote early and often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Trolling for Reputation Points

I remember that list - I gave it to my wife and kids a few years ago as my Christmas wish list! Got a few DVDs from it! :)

Len Lanetti said:
Hello,

I'm attaching some useful documents, if you like them feel free to give me a thumbs up vote on reputation. If you don't like the documents feel free to move on to the next thread.

Thanks,

Len

Ummm... Len, this sort of sounds like the letter I just received asking me to send $1 to six people on a list and I would receive some "valuable" documentation. All I have to do is send out another 200 letters with my name at the bottom of the list and I will be rich in no time!!

I would assume that you do not care what type of reputation points I give you! :)

Gary

Well, Len. I was all prepared to use all my ten votes today on you but seeing as how there are no files I think I'll have to give them to someone else.

Oh, wait - you mean I can give negative reputation? Cool - cya got go press some buttons for Len...

Dan Deutsch said:
Well, Len. I was all prepared to use all my ten votes today on you but seeing as how there are no files I think I'll have to give them to someone else.

Oh, wait - you mean I can give negative reputation? Cool - cya got go press some buttons for Len...

WAIT, WAIT!!! You need to make 3 more posts, or they won't count. No sense wasting reputation :)

Len Lanetti said:
Hello,

Edit...it turns out that the files I want to upload are either too big or the wrong file type...sorry...stay tuned for further info.

Thanks,

Len

The movie list worked...

Gary said:
Ummm... Len, this sort of sounds like the letter I just received asking me to send $1 to six people on a list and I would receive some "valuable" documentation. All I have to do is send out another 200 letters with my name at the bottom of the list and I will be rich in no time!!

I would assume that you do not care what type of reputation points I give you! :)

Gary
Len didn't fall into the same trap I did on my last fishing expedition...he specifically asked for a "thumbs up" vote if you liked it... :goofy:

Len Lanetti said:
The list (Word.doc) worked for me right off the bat, Len. :dunno:

We gave at the office...

ZIP file of aviation sayings and rules of thumb.

Sure, why not! I respect someone not afraid to ask for what they want in life! Reputation just left. What's that? This is my 50th post? Really?? So you mean the reputation point I just left for Lenny doesn't count??? Sheesh! Sorry, man......:p

ZIP File containing a Excel spreadsheet for aircraft ownership costs.

Don't open it if you don't want to know.

Note that the formula that calculates engine expense takes into account the recomendation (for Part 91) to overhaul the engine at 12 calendar years.

Len

Lenny, you cleaning house or something?

Len Lanetti said:
Hello,

Thanks,

Len

I would.. but seeing as how I don't have the 50 posts yet.. It'd be a waste. I did rate that thread though.. does that count?? :D

ausrere said:
I would.. but seeing as how I don't have the 50 posts yet.. It'd be a waste. I did rate that thread though.. does that count?? :D

Simply make several posts to this thread before voting. Sans that, a good thread rating is satisfying as well.

Thanks,

Len

Len: You really need to get that plane back from the shop you have way to much time on your hands :blueplane:

Getting Plane Back & Tiger For Sale

AdamZ said:
Len: You really need to get that plane back from the shop you have way to much time on your hands

Adam,

With any luck I'll be flying behind the new engine on Monday.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Hello,

Edit 2...just a note .XLS file types are invalid for uploading....so...I zipped those files and the one word document that was too big and uploaded them as part of additional messages in this thread.

Thanks,

Len

It would be easier for me to give points if you sent the movies instead of the list.

Re: Getting Plane Back & Tiger For Sale

Len Lanetti said:
Adam,

With any luck I'll be flying behind the new engine on Monday.

Len

Head over Royersford and wave if you go flying in the morning. If I see ya, I'll take a picture :)

The list included Mustang and I have two 1965 coupe and a 1973 convertible. 20 points from me, 10 each.

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
Hello,

If anyone wants to increase their reputation points, mine are for sale.

Simply forward $10 to my FBO and tell them to put it on my fuel account and I will give you one (1) point.

A bonus system of 1 exta point for every 100$ received from any one userID is in place as well.

Funny, I never put the airplane list and car list together like that. With the exception of just a couple, most of those cars are junkers!

Cessna Citation - Chevy Citation

Who would have ever put that together??

Web page on Spins...with still pictures of the NASA spin test Grumman Yankee

http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/Concept2Reality/spin_technology.html

Attached is a copy of the NASA Yankee spin test movie (zipped due to upload file size limits).

Rumor has it that there is a factory spin test film of the Yankee but I've only heard of its existance and have never seen it.

Len

The movie list lacks two of the best:

Island in the Sky, a very good presentation of one of Gann's better books (1940s, John Wayne and a bunch of then-unknowns who became prominent later, such as James Arness/Gunsmoke).

The Bridges at Toko-Ri, one of the better (anti-)war films ever made, late 1950s, William Holden, Fredric March, Mickey Rooney, Grace Kelly, Earl Holliman. From a James Michener novelette (great names all around). Good story about good people wasted, good acting, a largely unknown and under-rated film, good flying scenes (F6F Panthers in Korea), and one of the best-portrayed crash landings in the pre-computer era.

Hunter

Last edited:
Doc H,

I added Island in the Sky to the list.

The Bridges of Toko-Ri is listed under B as in "Bridges of Toko-Ri, The".

I had never seen that movie until one night when David would not go to sleep. He was probably around two years old. He and I stayed up 'till about 1am watching that movie. Funny that last night Matthew would not go to sleep and we stayed up watching "Rear Window" (Hitchcock's original). He thought it a good move "almost as good as "Star Wars". :<)

Len

P.S. Almost forgot...a little triva test...there is an airplane connection in "Rear Window"...anyone know it.

Last edited:
Er, wrong comment, nm :)

Hitchcock also did "North by Northwest"?

Or ordinary folks getting stuck in crazy events?

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
P.S. Almost forgot...a little triva test...there is an airplane connection in "Rear Window"...anyone know it.

The cop was Jimmie Stewart's friend and his pilot during "the war" which is of course WWII. Stewart was the photographer on the photo-reconnaisance missions and was the cop/pilot's crewmate. They are both pictured standing in front of a P-38 in flight gear is Stewart's apartment. Don't tell me how I know all this as I just stared at Grace Kelly the entire movie.

Handsfield said:
The movie list lacks two of the best:

Island in the Sky, a very good presentation of one of Gann's better books (1940s, John Wayne and a bunch of then-unknowns who became prominent later, such as James Arness/Gunsmoke).

The Bridges at Toko-Ri, one of the better (anti-)war films ever made, late 1950s, William Holden, Fredric March, Mickey Rooney, Grace Kelly, Earl Holliman. From a James Michener novelette (great names all around). Good story about good people wasted, good acting, a largely unknown and under-rated film, good flying scenes (F6F Panthers in Korea), and one of the best-portrayed crash landings in the pre-computer era.

I agree on both accounts Doc. "Bridges" is one of my favorites and you're correct, it is an anti-war movie, but Frederic March does make a pretty good case for the need for fighting the war in Korea and not "at the Mississippi. It sums up today's dilemma as well. Casting was great and wonderful flying scenes. "Launch Jets!"

Ooh Len! I don't see "Dr. Strangelove". Who can forget Slim Pickens and James Earl Jones flying that B-52. "Shoot, a guy could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff". Yeah, I know I always post the survival kit from that movie, and actually admit to carrying some of that stuff in the Tiger.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Yeah, I know I always post the survival kit from that movie, and actually admit to carrying some of that stuff in the Tiger.

You carry rubles and ah, other things in the Tiger?

Len

Len Lanetti said:
You carry rubles and ah, other things in the Tiger?

Len

Ha. You just never know when there's going to be another Cold War Len. If fact, I kind of miss it. We at least knew who the enemy was.

Here's my survival kit:

one .45-caliber automatic, two boxes ammunition, four days' concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizing pills, one miniature Russian phrase book and Bible, one hundred dollars in rubles, one hundred dollars in gold, five packs of chewing gum, one issue prophylactics, three tubes lipstick, three pair of nylon stockings ... Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

:rofl:

Another good aviation movie is "Birds of Prey" (1973)

Its almost 2 hrs of helicoper chase scenes. The plot is boring but the flying is great.

Synopsis: Harry Walker (David Janssen) is a helicopter traffic reporter in Salt Lake City who's never quite gotten over the time he spent flying during World War II -- a former combat pilot, he sees the world passing him by amid complacency and his own life reduced to boredom and bittersweet nostalgia for the best of times, when he was working for a cause that mattered (and there were causes that mattered). He chances on a brutal armored car robbery and helps the police give chase, and suddenly finds himself in the thick of the action when the robbers -- who have taken a woman hostage -- switch from a getaway car to a chopper. And when the getaway chopper tries to ram him, that's all it takes to get Walker into a cross-country aerial pursuit into the Utah desert in a duel to the death. ~ Bruce Eder, All Movie Guide

This thread is nearly one year old---The Thread That Would Not Die.

Anyway, another good aviation movie (not necessarily a good movie) was "The Final Countdown". It was shot aboard the USS Nimitz, before Top Gun and before all the Wings episodes on Discovery Channel. It was a revelation in 1980 when it came out, and the flying and carrier operations are still topnotch. If you don't try to be too analytical about the plot, it's really very good.

I'm glad to see Island in the Sky, Bridges at Toko-ri, and Dr. Strangelove have been added to the airplane movie list. All must-sees for the enthusiast, and worthwhile for even the non-flier.

Okay, I feel stupid for asking this...

I don't see any files. What am I doing wrong? Have they been removed?

Okay, I feel stupid for asking this...

I don't see any files. What am I doing wrong? Have they been removed?

Uh oh... Chuck removed all attachments older than a certain date a while back to save space. Apparently, this was an unintended consequence of that.

Oops... I guess we'll have to start uploading them again!

I don't know if this has been posted here before but, if not, it is a riot.

Better yet, it's genuine...circa 1940.

And, I find it quite interesting how many of "the rules" haven't changed.

Last edited:
Uh oh... Chuck removed all attachments older than a certain date a while back to save space. Apparently, this was an unintended consequence of that.

Oops... I guess we'll have to start uploading them again!
What! I go away for a few years and my files get deleted. Shoot. I guess I'll have to find what old computer they are stored on an reload them.

Len

What! I go away for a few years and my files get deleted. Shoot. I guess I'll have to find what old computer they are stored on an reload them.

Len

Whoa... Len's back! Welcome back, Len!

As you may have inferred from my taking two weeks to notice you were back, I've been a lot slower on PoA myself these days - Last 9 months or so I've been too busy to keep up as much as I used to!

Hope you stick around. Still have the Mooney?

A sticky of handy aviation documents with ZERO documents at all? Cool...

I am searching for a dear friend. He was a naval cadet stationed at NAS Pensacola. In training in 1960 -1961. He was from Pa. If you were there during that time please contact me. Thank you so very much. Barbara ..... Email bdaxthd@bellsouth.net ps we met in Mobile, Al.

Back