Tell me about Roanoke/Blacksburg

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Another one of these threads...maybe in a few years, we will have the entire US covered.

Same premise....what's there to do here, how are people, schools, weather, etc.

Blacksburg is very much a college town (Virginia Tech) there's some industry in the area (satellite, etc..). Roanoke is an old Railroad hub (Norfolk and Western). There's some cute parts to the town and it's not as blighted as some places are when the glory days of rail ended.

As far as airports, ROA has a class C and I've been in there and I spend a lot of time talking to their approach control (it covers my general route of flight), but the place is "big airport wannabe" and locked down tighter than a drum (coupled with Landmark as an FBO). Blacksburg is more laid back.

My aunt and uncle raised all four of my cousins in Wytheville, VA, which is about an hour away from Roanoke on I-81S (at the intersection if 81 and 77). We went down there pretty frequently to visit.

Roanoke has more going on, but it's not much of a happening city. Seems like a good place to raise a family. Lots of nothing out there, beautiful scenery. Lots of parks/forests to explore and other outdoorsy things. The hills in the area do make for some interesting flying, but fun flying. Weather isn't bad. It's high enough MSL that you can get away without having air conditioning (my aunt and uncle don't even have any window units in their house). Winters can get snow/ice, but as I recall you used to live in New England, which had it much worse.

Schools, probably depends on your area. Wytheville didn't have the best school, but they did have a magnet school of some sort for the smarter kids. I'd expect Roanoke to be similar. Where you are now I think has better schools, and I'd take NC over VA.

Given your choices listed thus far, either staying put or else OKC sound better to me.

Blacksburg is beautiful and where VaTech is located. My law partner has family in Roanoke and said it was a very nice small city. Lots of natural resources parks mountains nearby.

So Nick why the search? Wasn't so long ago that you moved to Winston Salem area for work. Seems like your not happy with the local? NC has a lot to offer so does Virginia for that matter. Just curious.

If you move to Roanoke, you'll be dealing with people like this:
pregnant.jpg

I used to date a girl that lived in Roanoke. The airport is nice, been there a few times with students, the city is nice. I guess I just have a bad taste of Roanoke because she lives there lol

I lived in Blacksburg for several years (undergrad degree from Va Tech). Very nice college town - the University really dominates what goes on there. Beautiful area. There is some industry in town, though much of it is affiliated or spun-off from Tech. Corning used to have a plant there, not sure whether it's still in operation. Radford's nearby - aside from Radford College there's a large Army munitions facility there.

Tech has a good engineering and computer science program if you're so inclined. There are many town folk that are faculty or (former) students that graduated and never left. Football Saturdays find the town doubling in size....

Roanoke is your classic small city. Some industry, but fewer opportunities than a larger place like the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Highpoint) or Raleigh. Nice place, beautiful views. Anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour to Blacksburg depending on traffic and where you are. Minor league baseball in Salem.

Blacksburg is beautiful and where VaTech is located. My law partner has family in Roanoke and said it was a very nice small city. Lots of natural resources parks mountains nearby.

So Nick why the search? Wasn't so long ago that you moved to Winston Salem area for work. Seems like your not happy with the local? NC has a lot to offer so does Virginia for that matter. Just curious.

Its a long story that I'll explain via PM tonight after work.

You didn't ask for this but i'm throwing it out there anyway...

consider raleigh...

• Industry / Job opportunities
  • Lots to do.. great restaurants , pro hockey (tickets are actually affordable)
  • Good non-profit flying club nearby
  • Good schools (wake co)
  • Big but not too big.. i live downtown and in less than 30 minutes I can be duck hunting on falls lake
  • Beach or mountains are nearby - 2 hours to wrightsville beach by car and 3 hours to boone
  • Keeps getting highly rated as great place to live by various magazines when considering cost of living, job opportunities, climate, schools, attractions etc..

Raleigh Ranked #1 place to live by Businessweek

You didn't ask for this but i'm throwing it out there anyway...

consider raleigh...

• Industry / Job opportunities
  • Lots to do.. great restaurants , pro hockey (tickets are actually affordable)
  • Good non-profit flying club nearby
  • Good schools (wake co)
  • Big but not too big.. i live downtown and in less than 30 minutes I can be duck hunting on falls lake
  • Beach or mountains are nearby - 2 hours to wrightsville beach by car and 3 hours to boone
  • Keeps getting highly rated as great place to live by various magazines when considering cost of living, job opportunities, climate, schools, attractions etc..
Raleigh Ranked #1 place to live by Businessweek
Listen to the man......I'd take NC over Roanoke any day.

Raleigh is still option #1. I have every intention of going that way, once I find an opportunity. But, if it never appears, I'm looking elsewhere as well, just in case I find that "gem" out there.

At the end of the day, my wife and I love North Carolina and would love to stay here.

Raleigh is still option #1. I have every intention of going that way, once I find an opportunity. But, if it never appears, I'm looking elsewhere as well, just in case I find that "gem" out there.

At the end of the day, my wife and I love North Carolina and would love to stay here.

If you're looking for a job in the raleigh area shoot me a PM and I can ask around

Other than Tech, Blacksburg is in the middle of nowhere. If you are OK with that it is fine. Nice area though, and I would certainly be OK with it, but that's just me because I like the outdoors.

West Virginia isn't far away, so don't get lost without bringing a guy with a Bow, that knows how to use it. If you know what I mean. :D

Other than Tech, Blacksburg is in the middle of nowhere. If you are OK with that it is fine. Nice area though, and I would certainly be OK with it, but that's just me because I like the outdoors.

Not anymore. Really. Once upon a time I'd agree with you. But there's a lot of stuff there now, and close to Roanoke. And a very educated populace.

The middle of nowhere is someplace like Elkins, WV.

Roanoke & Blacksburg are a within a day's drive from Raleigh. Nick could hop in a car and take a look with his own eyes.

West Virginia isn't far away, so don't get lost without bringing a guy with a Bow, that knows how to use it. If you know what I mean. :D

Cues the song "Dueling Banjos".

Nick, IIRC, you're in the IT world. If so, and you're able to qualify for a security clearance, there's a ton of good-pay work in the greater DC suburbs.

Nick, IIRC, you're in the IT world. If so, and you're able to qualify for a security clearance, there's a ton of good-pay work in the greater DC suburbs.

Not a chance. I like being close to a big city, but not that close....my understanding is that anywhere livably close to DC is really close to or in a big city.

Not my thing. No disparaging comment...just not my thing.

Not a chance. I like being close to a big city, but not that close....my understanding is that anywhere livably close to DC is really close to or in a big city.

It's pretty expensive here, traffic is AWFUL, and if I were just starting out with a family and wanted a place to grow old I'd probably pick the Raleigh area.

It's not that it is all one big city but the traffic makes you think it is.

I gotta tell ya Nick, I am doing a lot of work in McLean, and the traffic SUCKS!
There really isn't much here except MONEY. I think DC is the last place that has real money. Bill is right, there is a lot of opportunity here, but again the lifestyle isn't for everyone. The beltway is TORTURE, and the people drive like crap.

Understood & not a bad thing at all.

For the record, though, there are areas ranging from Pax River to Annapolis to Frederick, MD to Winchester, VA that are technically DC area, but are far enough out to classify as smaller communities.

I own rural property near one of them.

Not suggesting that its for you, just noting that they do exist.

via Tapatalk

I gotta tell ya Nick, I am doing a lot of work in McLean, and the traffic SUCKS!
There really isn't much here except MONEY. I think DC is the last place that has real money. Bill is right, there is a lot of opportunity here, but again the lifestyle isn't for everyone. The beltway is TORTURE, and the people drive like crap.

And we should do lunch sometime when you're down here amd have time.

via Tapatalk

And we should do lunch sometime when you're down here amd have time.

via Tapatalk

Sure thing Bill. I'll PM you. Dinner would probably be easier though.

My son was in the ROTC at VT in Blacksburg. Good school and a charming town. We used to travel there once a month and never had any complains about the airport, good service. Our favorite restaurant downtown was El Rodeo. Good mexican food and ambiance. My son got bored with Blacksburg and switched to UCF in Orlando, FL. What a difference!!!

José

I live in Roanoke County (a little west of Salem) and work in Blacksburg. My plane is based at Blacksburg.

what's there to do here
The outdoors stuff seems to get promoted around here. Hiking, mountain biking. The Appalachian Trail goes through here. Smith Mountain Lake and Claytor Lake are not too far. This is also a pretty good area for motorcycling, plenty of nice winding back roads.

how are people
Generally pretty decent.

Roanoke County and Salem City schools are good. Roanoke City, not so much. Montgomery County schools are good as far as I know. Then there is Virginia Tech. I'm not a Hokie fan, so it is what it is.

Not bad. Summers are kinda hot and humid. Winter usually brings one or two good snows of 6" to 18", but we haven't got any yet this winter.

Roanoke is okay, nothing too exciting, but big enough to have most everything you'd need. Blacksburg/Christiansburg has grown enough that it also has most everything you'd need as well.

I took the youngest daughter to Blacksburg this last summer to tour engineering schools. Se wasn't as impressed as I was, I really liked the carry out ethiopian restaurant in town. She really like NC state college and doesn't want the cold northeast schools. The oldest looks like she will be in NC for grad. school. All three of my kids spent their prep school years in the northeast and wanted some place warmer for college. The Malibu makes for the perfect college tour transportation.

We have found the area to hot in the summer as our dream spot to move. It still looks like New York as the winner for us. I can't wait to leave if we have another killer summer here in Kansas.

Kevin

I took the youngest daughter to Blacksburg this last summer to tour engineering schools. Se wasn't as impressed as I was, I really liked the carry out ethiopian restaurant in town. She really like NC state college and doesn't want the cold northeast schools.

Kevin
Keep coming south and visit Georgia Tech. Darn fine engineering school (and seeing the trend above, also in the ACC) :)

Se wasn't as impressed as I was, I really liked the carry out ethiopian restaurant in town.

Kevin

Probably not the best reason to send your daughter to VTech

NCSU has a good engineering school.

I am over there frequently .. in fact headed that way in a few minutes! Their labs are doing some tests for my company.

Probably not the best reason to send your daughter to VTech

NCSU has a good engineering school.

NC State has a great engineering school. I lasted two years in Aerospace engineering before I switched to political science. For some reason I though pilots had to be engineers. :mad2: Luckly, my first discover flight cleared that up.

She has applications in at both places. She really wants NCSU and she has really warmed up to Georgia tech. I drug her out to tour Cal State poly San Louis, this last summer too. That's my pick for a place I would like to live or go to school. We will know and have to pay before long.

Kevin

She has applications in at both places. She really wants NCSU and she has really warmed up to Georgia tech. I drug her out to tour Cal State poly San Louis, this last summer too. That's my pick for a place I would like to live or go to school. We will know and have to pay before long.

Kevin

SLO County is a great place to live. The climate varies from marine to desert in the space of 50 miles or so. Take your pick.

Dave

Back