Surgery - what fun!

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So, I went under the knife Friday last. Repair of an umbilical hernia, day surgery. I hate how helpless one feels in such circumstances, but it was pretty quick (as in, the doc said, "I'm going to give you a little something to get you ready for surgery," and next thing I knew, I was back in post-op with an ice bag on my belly).

Doc sent me home with a scrip for Hydrocodone, which my wife filled. The pain was never anything close to meriting use of a narcotic, and I don't expect to crack the bottle open.

So, what do I need to do as far as reporting when my 3rd Class is up? Anything? Will I need a statement from the surgeon?

Nuttin at all required. "manifest full recovery from hernia surgery" from the AME who can easily push on it and make the commentary. Good to hear it went well.

Glad you got patched up Spike. A friend's sister just had emergency surgery to remove large portions of small and large intestine due to dead tissue from unknown/untreated hernias. Awful.

She woke up in a hospital bed today with her brother (the person I know) and family there to tell her what had happened, and how they've been struggling to keep her blood pressure up for two days now post-Op, with drugs. Not a pleasant way to wake up. But at least she did!

Doc sent me home with a scrip for Hydrocodone, which my wife filled. The pain was never anything close to meriting use of a narcotic, and I don't expect to crack the bottle open.

1612 SE 12th ST #22
Ft Lauderdale FL 33316

Nuttin at all required. "manifest full recovery from hernia surgery" from the AME who can easily push on it and make the commentary. Good to hear it went well.

JUST what I wanted to hear, Doc - thanks! (for this, and for all you do)

Glad you got patched up Spike. A friend's sister just had emergency surgery to remove large portions of small and large intestine due to dead tissue from unknown/untreated hernias. Awful.

She woke up in a hospital bed today with her brother (the person I know) and family there to tell her what had happened, and how they've been struggling to keep her blood pressure up for two days now post-Op, with drugs. Not a pleasant way to wake up. But at least she did!

This was what I was afraid of happening if I did nothing - that, and I was afraid to do any aggressive exercise. Surgeon assures me that I will be able to do so after full recovery.

We all hope you are back to normal as quickly as possible..

So, I went under the knife Friday last. Repair of an umbilical hernia, day surgery. I hate how helpless one feels in such circumstances, but it was pretty quick (as in, the doc said, "I'm going to give you a little something to get you ready for surgery," and next thing I knew, I was back in post-op with an ice bag on my belly).

So, what do I need to do as far as reporting when my 3rd Class is up? Anything? Will I need a statement from the surgeon?

I guess Friday was surgery day. I had arthroscopic on my other knee right after lunch. Fortunately, my Dr knows better than to offer anything other than plain tylenol.

I still remember the hernia surgery 20 years ago when they patched it with window screen. The next day's activity was devoted to finding ways to get out of bed to whiz. None were successful.

I guess Friday was surgery day. I had arthroscopic on my other knee right after lunch. Fortunately, my Dr knows better than to offer anything other than plain tylenol.

Not me, I ask for the real stuff "Give me the Oxy...". If I'm gonna take something for pain, give me something real. As for Vicodin and those mixed opiate pills, do you realize it's the Tylenol component that is what is bad for your body. Physiologically Heroin is the least damaging of the street drugs (it's the rest of a junkies life that kills them usually).

I still remember the hernia surgery 20 years ago when they patched it with window screen. The next day's activity was devoted to finding ways to get out of bed to whiz. None were successful.

Not much different now, Wayne.

There goes your excuse. :)

Sorta counting on that! :D

Feel better soon spike! Just curious, how did you get an umbilical hernia?

Did you initially have an "umbilical defect"?

I got the window screen belly patch a number of years ago, too. Laproscopic surgery had me sporting a 2 .45 cal holes and a .38 caliber hole to the chest for a while, but a relatively easy recovery (yeah, the first couple "get up from bed" were interesting but mostly psychological, I'm sure)

Feel better soon spike! Just curious, how did you get an umbilical hernia?

Did you initially have an "umbilical defect"?

Don't know - I never noticed any sudden "occurrence," but rather, it just sorta popped out one day. I've had it for a while, just became time to tend to it.

I hope you're back in the air soon!

In the mean time... a favorite Weird Al video

Spike,

I hope you get well soon. My coworker just had a similar surgery, and she went to the gym about 3 times per week before the surgery. They told her no working out for several months after the surgery.

Glad it went well Spike. I didn't realize exactly what happened.

We have some opening at our Jui Jitsu class if you want to come <g>. Seems folks are always leaving for some reason. We need more vict.... uh new guys!

Best,

Dave

Not me, I ask for the real stuff "Give me the Oxy...". If I'm gonna take something for pain, give me something real. As for Vicodin and those mixed opiate pills, do you realize it's the Tylenol component that is what is bad for your body. Physiologically Heroin is the least damaging of the street drugs (it's the rest of a junkies life that kills them usually).
When used "as directed", neither the oxycodone or acetaminophen is particularly bad for most people.

As for heroin- it gets metabolized to morphine fairly quickly by losing a couple of acetate groups. One can argue that the addiction & dependance on morphine (or heroin) helps cause the "rest of the junkies [sic] life that kills them usually".

When used "as directed", neither the oxycodone or acetaminophen is particularly bad for most people.

As for heroin- it gets metabolized to morphine fairly quickly by losing a couple of acetate groups. One can argue that the addiction & dependance on morphine (or heroin) helps cause the "rest of the junkies [sic] life that kills them usually".

The cost factor of supporting the addiction more accuraely. I know several Oxy/Heroin junkies with enough money that they don't have any of those problems. Hell Rush Limbaugh is a junkie.

Gee Spike, sorry to hear you had to have surgery, but glad things went well. I'll toast one here for a quick and 100% recovery!

Thanks all... Markedly better today, but must pace self...

Ugh i had a bad experience w oxy and that family of drugs when i broke an arm and then had it rebroken and set by a doc one week after the injury.

Either the drugs were not strong enough and i couldn't sleep, or too strong and i was sick.

Glad you seem to be able to do without them spike!

Ugh i had a bad experience w oxy and that family of drugs when i broke an arm and then had it rebroken and set by a doc one week after the injury.

Either the drugs were not strong enough and i couldn't sleep, or too strong and i was sick.

Glad you seem to be able to do without them spike!
That's why I added the "most people" qualifier. There's always a small percentage of people that have adverse reactions to a drug.

Thanks all... Markedly better today, but must pace self...

I hope you get lots of rest, Spike!

I am pacing myself as well. Yesterday was the first day back at work since December 19th! I've never had a three week break from work, but now I fully understand what I've always heard. "Work is the curse of the leisure class". :rofl:

I had the same thing for my prostate surgery this year! 6" and no stitches. It healed great.

Glad things went well, Spike.

Thank you, sir!

I had the same surgery in August, not fun, but overall not too bad. ;) I was back at work the next day with one pain pill and worked a couple hours, I actually felt pretty good. I had my umbilical hernia for 4 or 5 years, and it didn't bother me, until it started obstructing my bowel,:yikes: then it was time for surgery. Two weeks and I was back at the gym. :D

Well, I am bouncing back OK now, but no way no how I am going back to the gym unless and until the sawbones clears me.

I've been reading Civil War history books lately... please don't say "sawbones"... (shudder).
Tell me about it. Shipboard surgery during the Napoleonic wars was worse. They should have had some understanding of sterilization by the 1850s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back