TSA Probing

callmesven

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Sven
On a recent airline adventure I pondered if anyone has ever tried presenting their TSA-issued AOA photo badge to the TSA? I was not brave enough to risk a TSA probing and didn't want to make the news by being arrested for something as outrageous as presenting to the TSA a TSA issued photo ID. those blue gloves scare on several levels. I'm just wondering if it's been done?

On a recent airline adventure I pondered if anyone has ever tried presenting their TSA-issued AOA photo badge to the TSA? I was not brave enough to risk a TSA probing and didn't want to make the news by being arrested for something as outrageous as presenting to the TSA a TSA issued photo ID. those blue gloves scare on several levels. I'm just wondering if it's been done?

It is my understanding that badges are specific to particular airports. So my badge for KBED is pretty much useless for access to any other airport.

Of course, my badge for KBED is pretty useless anyway in that there isn't any securitiy provided by this badging procedure.

last week thru DIA on a late and quiet night - since my State Driver's License and FAA Pilot Certificate are both displayed when I open my wallet - when I presented my ID and boarding pass to a somewhat friendly-seeming TSA agent, I asked him if the FAA ID was better or worse for an ID, or just confused the issue, he said "Since we're used to looking at Driver's Licenses, it would probably just confuse the issue." ... good enough for me.

Recently on a flight from DAL to SAT, I was (for the first time since flying with the TSA presence) to say my name out loud to the agent reviewing my boarding pass and Texas Drivers License.

Only after passing through the checkpoint, I realized I should have replied,
"My name is Inigo Montoya..."

last week thru DIA on a late and quiet night - since my State Driver's License and FAA Pilot Certificate are both displayed when I open my wallet - when I presented my ID and boarding pass to a somewhat friendly-seeming TSA agent, I asked him if the FAA ID was better or worse for an ID, or just confused the issue, he said "Since we're used to looking at Driver's Licenses, it would probably just confuse the issue." ... good enough for me.

No picture on your pilot certificate and I believe they want picture ID. Something to do with an inability to read?

Disregarding the fact that TSA requires a photo ID, how would a pilot certificate be better than a driver's license?

Disregarding the fact that TSA requires a photo ID, how would a pilot certificate be better than a driver's license?

It would prove you had knowledge of how to destroy the aircraft quicker.

:popcorn:

The TSA doesn't issue AOS badges. They are issued by the individual airports. That said, the TSA website says that "An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)" is acceptable ID.

Subtle hint that "I'm one of the good guys?" ... on the other hand, do anything to draw attention to oneself just sets one up for "special treatment"

Subtle hint that "I'm one of the good guys?" ... on the other hand, do anything to draw attention to oneself just sets one up for "special treatment"

That is probably the WORST thing you could do. When I flew commercial back to PA from DENVER to fly the Tiger back, I had to go through security with my flight bag. "You a pilot". Yep. "Come with me". :rolleyes:

Almost missed my flight. Then the guy came running after me to sign something.

My LTC is a government issued photo ID. Maybe I'll try that next time.
I did that several years ago just to see how well it would go over....it definitely did not speed up the process.

No picture on your pilot certificate and I believe they want picture ID. Something to do with an inability to read?

My pilot certificate has a picture on it :)

My wife finds her government issued ID (Smithsonian) works reliably at Dulles and in some other airports, but others won't (she likes it because it hangs around her neck).

My pilot certificate has a picture on it :)

My wife finds her government issued ID (Smithsonian) works reliably at Dulles and in some other airports, but others won't (she likes it because it hangs around her neck).

Mine has two pictures on it -- Wilber and Orville.

I've used my Concealed Carry Permit several times (gov't issued with photo), usually gets no response. I think most don't even look at it closely enough to realize it's not a drivers license, they just want to see a picture. In Texas our CCW and DL look fairly similar. I had one guy smile and hand it back to me, saying "Good job." I've only been asked one time if I was actually carrying, never stripsearched yet.

> I pondered if anyone has ever tried presenting their TSA-issued AOA photo badge

I've tried using my DHS-issued photoID. Right across the top, it says,
"DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY".

More often than not, TSA declines to accept it. TSA also typically declines
to accept my NEXUS card (used to expedite USA:Canada border
crossings) ... which is another ID that TSA regs list as acceptable.

Twice, they've asked to see my pilot certificate. One of those times, they
looked at the pen/ink drawing, on the back, of Orville & Wilbur, and said,
"That isn't you!" Doh.

Here's the official TSA list:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

TSA ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints

Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

Acceptable IDs include:

• U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Border Crossing Card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • A Native American Tribal Photo ID
  • An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • A foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.

This standardization of the list of accepted documents better aligns TSA with other DHS components, including Customs and Border Protection, and REAL ID benchmarks.

My SENTRI ID is #3 on their list.

70% of the time, the first level ID checker will refuse it, and look at me incredulously when I tell them it is DHS issued and remind him/her that they were trained to accept it as acceptable ID.

Best comment was in DEN, where the blue shirted clerk refused to accept a SENTRI card as ID, asking "Where did you get this from ... France?"

Excellent - so all the times they have accepted my CCW as photo ID, and allowed me to board, they blew their own rules? Why does that not surprise me? :dunno::mad2:

It is state-issued - but by Department of Public Safety, not DMV. Maybe they consider that "equivalent"?

Excellent - so all the times they have accepted my CCW as photo ID, and allowed me to board, they blew their own rules? Why does that not surprise me? :dunno::mad2:

It is state-issued - but by Department of Public Safety, not DMV. Maybe they consider that "equivalent"?

Root causes:

Recruiting method #1 - the Pizza box

TSApizzabox.JPG

Recruiting method #2 - DC area gas pumps

tsaphoto-gadling-bumper.jpg

Hiring standards: not much. Even a GED is no longer required. The TSA dropped that several years ago to improve recruiting numbers.

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/306140400

Surprised?

The list says "Acceptable IDs include:", but doesn't imply that IDs are limited to only those on the list.

Just keep repeating to yourself... "Getting real tired of paying for this BS... Getting real tired of paying for this BS..."

It's popular to bash the TSA, but last week I came to respect them when they stopped a passenger from bringing C-4 explosives on board.

The passenger was planning to board the American Eagle flight to DFW that left an hour before my flight. I am glad that TSA inconvenienced me a little by making me wait outside the terminal half an hour before they reopened for new passengers.

The guy with the explosives was arrested. Story here:
http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_77d0d2ca-3642-11e1-ac08-001871e3ce6c.html

It's popular to bash the TSA, but last week I came to respect them when they stopped a passenger from bringing C-4 explosives on board.

The passenger was planning to board the American Eagle flight to DFW that left an hour before my flight. I am glad that TSA inconvenienced me a little by making me wait outside the terminal half an hour before they reopened for new passengers.

The guy with the explosives was arrested. Story here:
http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_77d0d2ca-3642-11e1-ac08-001871e3ce6c.html

Did the TSA find anything else with the C-4? That stuff doesn't explode from a match or a burning fuse like a firecracker. It needs a detonator to go off. Did they find the detonators on this person, or any other passenger?

Maybe my point wasn't clear. I think it is unlikely that this particular passenger carrying C-4 actually intended to use it while aboard the plane.

However, eventually somebody carrying C-4 will do so with the intention of killing all on board.

So, the value of this experience, to me, is that it shows the system is capable of catching C-4, and to do a good job of shutting down the terminal for a minimal amount of time while dealing with a potentially disastrous problem. The local police were very efficient and well organized in responding, and that's something you won't read in that story but it was something that I saw while waiting to get into the terminal.

Last edited:
So, the value of this experience, to me, is that it shows the system is capable of catching C-4

Well, sort of. This was the return trip home for this person - he had already cleared security in North Carolina (with the C4) on the first part of his trip. They only caught it the second time as he was trying to board the return flight home. So you can't say that they are more than 50% capable. In my world, that grade is an F.

Well, sort of. This was the return trip home for this person - he had already cleared security in North Carolina (with the C4) on the first part of his trip. They only caught it the second time as he was trying to board the return flight home. So you can't say that they are more than 50% capable. In my world, that grade is an F.

Agreed. Assuming that this part of the guy's story is true, TSA in Fayetteville, N.C. performed abysmally when they "confiscated a military smoke grenade from his bag" and then allowed him to continue on his trip without finding the C4 that he was also carrying. However, I'm just not sure whether to believe every detail of the guy's side of the story. What I do know is that the TSA and local police did a good job in Midland Texas where I saw things from the perspective of another passenger.

Agreed. Assuming that this part of the guy's story is true, TSA in Fayetteville, N.C. performed abysmally when they "confiscated a military smoke grenade from his bag" and then allowed him to continue on his trip without finding the C4 that he was also carrying. However, I'm just not sure whether to believe every detail of the guy's side of the story. What I do know is that the TSA and local police did a good job in Midland Texas where I saw things from the perspective of another passenger.

Par for the course....

Given that he made no attempt to actually hide the stuff and just had it in his carry on that went through the X-ray machine still in brick shape and not flattened out on the bottom.

Given that he made no attempt to actually hide the stuff and just had it in his carry on that went through the X-ray machine still in brick shape and not flattened out on the bottom.

So far (according to media reports anyway, for what that's worth) the guys story checks out and looks like he just grabbed the wrong bag. That doesn't make him a terrorist - but it does make him very incompetent, and the military will still want to discuss that aspect of his behavior with him. I could be wrong about this (someone please correct me if I am) but I seriously doubt that active duty military EOD are allowed to carry live C4 home offbase in their gearbags as SOP, so there is still a criminal element to discuss.

It would seem to me that he would have known something was wrong with his bag when the TSA found that grenade and thatnhe would have at least looked in it to see what other odd items might be there and then ditched or otherwise changed the C4 location.

It would seem to me that he would have known something was wrong with his bag when the TSA found that grenade and thatnhe would have at least looked in it to see what other odd items might be there and then ditched or otherwise changed the C4 location.
Yep. That would have been an "Oh ****!" moment to me when they found the grenade.

Back