Hot Air Balloon training

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
My friends are thinking about learning how to fly a hot air balloon. Evidentally it's suppose to only take like 10 hours (since they already have a PPL) Was wondering if anyone else attempted "Hot Air Balloon" training. There has got to be someone who just wanted bragging rights and have that spot filled out on their license. Speak up! I hear the basket is pretty heavy to schlep around. I personally am not going to attempt it at this point. I have enough going on and I'm what they call a "slow learner" :(

Basket weight depends on size and amount of fuel left on board. I enjoyed my training, probably 5-6yrs ago. I wouldn't consider myself a fast learner either, I would have been about 49 at that time.

If you decide to, come out to ABQ in June. Great weather and the wind isn't too bad.

I've been wanting to do that, but it would only be a checked box. Doubt if I'd be doing it every weekend.

Gotta be a morning person. Nothing against balloons but the process starts way to early in the AM for my taste.

Gotta be a morning person. Nothing against balloons but the process starts way to early in the AM for my taste.

That's why my wife told me I needed to find something I could do by myself. So I bought a single seat Experimental plane. Now I have a 4 place.

My friends are thinking about learning how to fly a hot air balloon. Evidentally it's suppose to only take like 10 hours (since they already have a PPL) Was wondering if anyone else attempted "Hot Air Balloon" training. There has got to be someone who just wanted bragging rights and have that spot filled out on their license. Speak up! I hear the basket is pretty heavy to schlep around. I personally am not going to attempt it at this point. I have enough going on and I'm what they call a "slow learner" :(
I was part of a balloon chase crew during the year I lived in Boise. It was a lot of fun but you need to be a morning (pre-dawn) person. It's also a group activity since you can't launch and retrieve balloon without a number of people. I went for a couple rides and they were encouraging me to get my balloon rating but I moved away before I could do that.

i chased a balloon once after i saw it float over the highway, was a lot of fun. Leah and I really enjoyed our balloon ride in Sedona

I'd love to do it, but nobody seems to know how to do an additional class rating for the free balloon. Not surprising, since there are only probably a handful of people who could even get the rating that way.

C'mon up to KTDZ and Eric Barnum will do it (supposedly) you may want to call first! (KTDZ is Toledo, Ohio)

I'd love to do it, but getting enough time off to do it is a challenge with my job. I fly with guys who have the free balloon rating, they just don't have a balloon.

Back