Personal milestone...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Saturday I met a goal that I'd been looking forward to for some time. My first tailwheel student solo. I've given plenty of tailwheel endorsements, but none from scratch. Normally, while I'd prefer to start all students in the Cub, I tell them that they'll save money in the long run just starting out in the trainer they'll take for the checkride and then get the endorsement later. I hope that will change someday when I can afford to buy a tailwheel plane of my own that has a radio and an electronic navigation system. Until then, I'll be waiting. This student wants a Sport Pilot License, and specifically wanted to work with the Cub, which honestly made me very, very happy since I think he'll be a better pilot in the long run, and his solo this weekend also made me happy. It took a little bit longer (15 or so hours, I'm not sure since I don't have his logbook in front of me) but considering we taught him 2 types of landings, ground reference maneuvers, and all of the airwork to near checkride standards, I don't consider him too far off of schedule. Now we're off to cross-country flying, which is almost a joke since we're only required to go >25NM for the SP XC. That said, it will take a bit to get anywhere :D... It's a Cub!

Here's the video.

Ryan

He did a good job! I notice somebody taught him to keep those feet moving... must have a good instructor. :D

I have to agree that he will have a stronger foundation than most- it's true that you can teach all the same stick'n'rudder skills with a nosewheel plane, but I think too many new pilots get away with weakness in that area, because the airplanes allow it, up to a point. Something like a Cub demands more attention, and not just because of the tailwheel.

Too bad it's not practical for most pilots nowadays to start with tailwheels... actually, it's too bad they don't all start with gliders.:wink2:

Too bad it's not practical for most pilots nowadays to start with tailwheels... actually, it's too bad they don't all start with gliders.:wink2:
Honestly, student pilots SHOULD have practice with some energy management procedures prior to solo anyway, since 61.87 requires that you do emergency procedures. I usually have students to several engine out practices all the way down to the runway prior to solo, so glider would be much the same except for a better glide ratio.

Ryan

Nicely done. I bet he was thrilled and I know you are

Ryan -- do you have a turf strip to practice on?
We do, but I can't use it when it's too soggy. Also, it's somewhat frowned upon. Sometimes we go to a nearby private strip where I've gotten permission to go, but most of our landing practice is on the pavement.

Ryan

Normally, while I'd prefer to start all students in the Cub, I tell them that they'll save money in the long run just starting out in the trainer they'll take for the checkride and then get the endorsement later.
?? How so? Why do you think they will save money? Because it may take a few more hours to solo? Maybe, but he will be stronger later.
If you start a student in a t/w and solo him in a t/w, then transition to tricycle for x/c and checkride prep, I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that he will get the shortfield/softfield landings and all the maneuvers that require coordination in much shorter time. And, in time, you will find that solo'ing in a t/w does not take longer. We used to do it all the time in less than 10 hours.

It takes a pilot trained in tricycle longer to solo a t/w because he has already developed bad habits with rudder control- the new student has not been damaged with bad training.

?? How so? Why do you think they will save money? Because it may take a few more hours to solo? Maybe, but he will be stronger later.
If you start a student in a t/w and solo him in a t/w, then transition to tricycle for x/c and checkride prep, I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that he will get the shortfield/softfield landings and all the maneuvers that require coordination in much shorter time. And, in time, you will find that solo'ing in a t/w does not take longer. We used to do it all the time in less than 10 hours.
A couple of reasons. First off, I follow the FAA rules as closely as I can w/regard to pre-solo training. That means we do all of 61.87 as appropriate the airplane prior to solo. If I want the student to be proficient in the Class C airspace nearby, and perhaps the Class B in Houston, I want them to be trained for the airspace and a solo at the towered airport as well. I've had a student on solo X/C to DWH in Houston before and was completely confident in his ability to complete the mission. If I do the solo in the Cub, it'll probably be an extra 3-4 hours to solo, plus I'll want to go over some items in the Cessna or Piper to allow them to solo that aircraft prior to checkride since they can't take the PPL checkride in the Cub. If they are my student and trained in the Cessna or Piper to my standards, I figure I can probably get them straight in the Cub pretty fast.

Now if / when I can afford a tailwheel trainer that has a VOR or panel-mounted GPS system and a radio, there will be no reason to not start out in the tailwheel. I just don't like doubling work unnecessarily for the student. If I'm the CFI, I figure it's more efficient to start 'em off in the plane they'll take on the checkride.
It takes a pilot trained in tricycle longer to solo a t/w because he has already developed bad habits with rudder control- the new student has not been damaged with bad training.
So you assume that I'm going to teach them bad habits in the Cessna? Ouch. I am familiar enough with tailwheel training that I beat up my nosewheel guys about it all the time. You should have heard how many times I told my two students to use the rudder today.

Ryan

If I want the student to be proficient in the Class C airspace nearby, and perhaps the Class B in Houston, I want them to be trained for the airspace and a solo at the towered airport as well.
OK. That right there explains it to me. Thnx.

Ryan,

Nice video. This is the student you told me about today. Very nice job.

Also, I enjoyed flying the Cub with you today. The last time I flew one (last winter) it was on skis and I have a feeling the next time I fly one (a month or two) it will be on skis also.

Ryan,

Nice video. This is the student you told me about today. Very nice job.

Also, I enjoyed flying the Cub with you today. The last time I flew one (last winter) it was on skis and I have a feeling the next time I fly one (a month or two) it will be on skis also.
Thanks Buzz. You did a right decent job!

Ryan

Great job Ryan and same for your student.

I started in a Champ 20 years ago, but had to go to the 150 then didn't quite finish.

I started all over again last Spring and solo'd the 150 in 5 hours. I then bought my 140 and it took a LONG time to solo in it.

Way back 20 years ago, the instructor didn't have insurance for me to solo the Champ and that's why we moved on. Now that I just passed my checkride in the 140, I think I would have been better served never setting foot in a nose wheel plane until after the checkride. Back and forth is no good for a student IMHO.

Thanks for posting the video and for being a great instructor for such an accomplishment. I hope your student realizes his accomplishment.

Doc

Last edited:
Cool video, well done to him and you. I love the cubs! I'm a student pilot training in a 172, but once I get my license I want to get my rating for a tw. My dad just ordered a carbon cub, and it is one of the funnest planes I've ever been in.

Cool video, well done to him and you. I love the cubs! I'm a student pilot training in a 172, but once I get my license I want to get my rating for a tw. My dad just ordered a carbon cub, and it is one of the funnest planes I've ever been in.
First off, it's just an endorsement - not a rating, so don't stress it much.
Second, if your dad is buying a Carbon Cub, take FULL advantage of it if you have the opportunity. I've flown the Carbon Cub and it is an awesome airplane. If I had the money, I would be seriously thinking about buying one to use for training and becoming a dealer.

Ryan

Back