Saltillo Mexico Approach

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
One of my classmates was asked about this approach on a recent interview. Quite an interesting procedure, especially the missed approach and I thought I would pass it along.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MMIO_ILS_1_jepp.jpg
    MMIO_ILS_1_jepp.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 245
those Mexican plates are "classic" at interviews...

Mexican approaches, and Aspen/Telluride seem to be massively popular, IME.
I know of an approach that has five NDBs. I can't post it right now from my iPhone but I will try to remember to post it later.

I know of an approach that has five NDBs. I can't post it right now from my iPhone but I will try to remember to post it later.

Please do!

I have been shown some of the approaches which have been (I believe still are) common in Russia, which are dual NDB approaches, flown in planes with two ADFs displaying on one indicator. One NDB off each end of the runway, on runway alignment. Keep the needles aligned with each other, you're aligned with the runway. Stupid simple - I like it.

Please do!

I have been shown some of the approaches which have been (I believe still are) common in Russia, which are dual NDB approaches, flown in planes with two ADFs displaying on one indicator. One NDB off each end of the runway, on runway alignment. Keep the needles aligned with each other, you're aligned with the runway. Stupid simple - I like it.
I wouldn't exactly call this one "simple", especially if you had one ADF receiver and you had to actually use it as opposed to using the FMS. Is is in Russia, though. Good guess.

20111205-nx8qbu79gps3a1tr331a1siw9t.png

I wouldn't exactly call this one "simple", especially if you had one ADF receiver and you had to actually use it as opposed to using the FMS. Is is in Russia, though. Good guess.

20111205-nx8qbu79gps3a1tr331a1siw9t.png

My definition of these as "simple" relate more to the ground portion, as something simple to build and to maintain.

They could be considered "simple" to fly, but that would be contingent upon having two ADFs with co-located pointers in one instrument; if you have only one ADF (like we all are used to - if we have NDB at all!), then "simple" goes out the window, although I think an ADF with frequency flip-flop would at least make it easier.

Re the Saltillo plate posted, from a practical point of view, just how does one use the "TDZ Elev: 159 MB" note shown below the full missed approach instructions?

Stan

Re the Saltillo plate posted, from a practical point of view, just how does one use the "TDZ Elev: 159 MB" note shown below the full missed approach instructions?

Stan
Jeppesen defines this as:
Barometric pressure equivalent for QFE altimeter settings. Its listed on airports with Mba or Hpa altimeter settings.

Barometric pressure equivalent in Mba of Hpa enable those who use QFE altimeter settings for landing to establish a QFE altimeter setting by subtracting the Hpa of Mba equivalent from the reported QNH altimeter setting.

Clear as mud?

so if I have an altimeter that uses millibars instead of inches of mercury, I take 150 Mb, subract it from 1013.25 and get 863.25 millibars, and set that in my altimeter window once level before the glide slope. Now my altimeter will read zero at the tdze?

What if you are at an airport with a very high elevation, and your altimeter doesnt accept such a low setting?

Stan

so if I have an altimeter that uses millibars instead of inches of mercury, I take 150 Mb, subract it from 1013.25 and get 863.25 millibars, and set that in my altimeter window once level before the glide slope. Now my altimeter will read zero at the tdze?

What if you are at an airport with a very high elevation, and your altimeter doesnt accept such a low setting?

Stan
Yes thats the theory. you are adjusting your QNH setting to the QNF (field) so that it reads zero unpon landing. Although I have been to saltillo before I have never seen anyone use QNF procedures. I hear that there are countrys that still use it. If your altimeter will not do it then you are most likely not doing QNF procedures. Maybe someone with experience with operating QNF can be more helpful.

Palmdale, CA (PMD) VOR/DME Rwy 25 approach has the same type of approach. Out one radial, right turn, inbound on a different radial. Missed approach is outbound a different radial to an altitude and right turn back to VOR for holding.

If you're looking for a cartoon version... I'd be interested to see what the Russian version of the ILS or 2 NDB Rwy 34R chart looks like.
Try this...

Attachments

• ad2-rus-uhpp-097.pdf
    404.6 KB · Views: 20
Mari, was that the place you stopped on your way to Tokyo? Quite the approach, for sure!

Mari, was that the place you stopped on your way to Tokyo? Quite the approach, for sure!
Actually we stopped twice, once in each direction. One of the interesting things to me is that even though we were doing the approach on our own, they knew exactly where we were and kept us informed. "Approaching papa romeo" then "approaching hotel yankee". The arrival from both the northeast and southwest has you starting out at PR. We did this entirely on the FMS and were happy that we didn't need to use the NDBs. :redface:

Actually we stopped twice, once in each direction. One of the interesting things to me is that even though we were doing the approach on our own, they knew exactly where we were and kept us informed. "Approaching papa romeo" then "approaching hotel yankee". The arrival from both the northeast and southwest has you starting out at PR. We did this entirely on the FMS and were happy that we didn't need to use the NDBs. :redface:

Mari, I sure wish fate would allow me to watch you working some time. I have this funny feeling I might learn something.

Mari, I sure wish fate would allow me to watch you working some time. I have this funny feeling I might learn something.
I think you would learn that I'm just like everyone else, only in a slightly bigger airplane.... :redface:

That approach would be a real handful if you needed to use NDBs for it.

Interestingly, there's only one plane I've seen in person that has dual ADFs installed - an Aerostar based here in Williamsport. Even with two ADFs, that'd be a handful of an approach.

A lot of the foreign airports seem to have some interesting approaches. In a CFIT video I was watching yesterday, it showed that North America has the lowest rate of CFIT accidents by far. Go to Asia, South America, Africa, and Europe, and it's exponentially higher. I think South America was something close to 100 times higher.

Back