In-Flight Entertainment

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Those of you who take your family on GA cross country trips, what do you do to keep them occupied?

DVD players, iPods, iPads etc. All small, light and portable!:D works with my teenagers and my wife!;) my youngest flies right seat and works the radios.:D

Put a little ambien in their cookies and fly above 10k'.

Those of you who take your family on GA cross country trips, what do you do to keep them occupied?

DVD players, iPods, iPads etc. All small, light and portable!:D works with my teenagers and my wife!;) my youngest flies right seat and works the radios.:D
Do you use some sort of adapter to pipe the audio in?

They don't get much use because most of them never work. They are outrageously expensive, horribly unreliable, and impossible to repair. They are usually about three generations behind the current technology stuff that is totally portable, works great, runs on AA batteries, has decent warranty and manufacturer support, weighs a few ounces, takes up no cabin space and costs less than the catering.

Ipad for the win.

Our big plane has an IFE system that we never use.

A bible and a rosary for the grandma. She prays out loud when in turbulence. I tell her not to worry about since we are closer to heavens.

José

My kids got bored with scenery pretty quick.

They take the usual time-wasters: Kindle, Game Boy, iPods, etc.

No problem with overcoming cockpit noise?
If they are using earbuds to hear the audio of the device, they'll quickly figure out to put in the buds first then their headset over the top of that.

They all have headphones, no way they would watch the SAME movie!:mad2::D
This is exactly what the person who chose the options on the big work airplane said. It has no entertainment system at all because everyone in the airplane doesn't want to watch the same DVD or listen to the same music. We have small DVD players on board but I think they have only been used a handful of times. We were asked about getting internet but once they heard the price they declined. All they wanted it for was email.

When I first started flying with kid almost 20 years ago I had what eventually evolved into the modern day camcorder. It was a "portable" VHS deck with an internal battery and a separate handheld camera. I fabricated a small (I think it was about 4" diagonal) LCD monitor and that allowed viewing of VHS movies in the plane. I think I even had a couple of straps that fastened the monitor to the back of the front seat although due to it's small size, I think my daughter usually held it in her hands. A 1/8" to 1/4" phone plug adapter connected a pair of aviation headphones (this was pre ANR stuff).

Later we graduated to a DVD player with built in 7" screen and several years ago that gave way to a laptop with built in DVD drive.

My wife sits in the right seat with the sectional in her lap. As long as she knows where we are, she's happy. I don't know what she is going to do the first time we launch off into the clag. :D

My wife sits in the right seat with the sectional in her lap. As long as she knows where we are, she's happy. I don't know what she is going to do the first time we launch off into the clag. :D
Get her an iPad with Foreflight.:D Maybe she'll let you borrow it for approaches.

+1
And she's always in a better mood after we land. (No, not because she survived another one of my landings - because she enjoys flying.)

Our big plane has an IFE system that we never use.

Likewise. We used that system a lot back in the day. These days everybody brings a laptop or iThingee to watch movies or listen to music. Those little earbuds go under the earcups of the headphones just fine. Pilot & copilot have XM radio care of our weather receiver. Haven't really used the IFE in a few years. It's going overboard next time I do serious panel work.

Back