Back Taxi Near Miss

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Last night about 20 mins after sunset I was in the pattern after announcing my position starting 10 miles out. Lots of times at our airport there is a made dash to get down before twilight sunset and since last night was a particularly beautiful night here in the plains, I thought there would be some traffic. No traffic was reported.... cool!

I was flying my RV-12, had my strobes on, position lights on, flashing landing light on. I must have looked like a flying Vegas billboard. After touch down and roll out I could have made the taxi way, but since I had not heard anyone announce it was closer to the hangar to back taxi in 17.

This is where it gets interesting. I announce my back-taxi, (still have all lights flashing and strobes strobing) and turn 90 degrees to see a Piper cub on short final with no radio and no lights. :yikes:

He does a go around and I head for the taxiway and announce to him I have cleared the active and to come on in. No response, but just in case he could hear me. After he landed I drove over to his hangar just to talk.

Turns out he mis judged his VFR flight and was late getting back to the airport. The radio could receive but not transmit, and he could see me fine. When I asked him what about someone else coming in right behind him he said he was thinking of getting the radio fixed. I told him that might not be a bad idea.

You just never know when someone else is gonna try and ruining your day. Me by doing a 180 and backtaxi when there is a perfectly good taxi way right there, and him by flying at night with no lights and no radio.

Lets be careful out there!

Last edited:
No doubt the other pilot was as surprised by your decision to reverse course on the runway rather than clear at the taxiway as you were to see there was another plane in the pattern behind you. At nontowered airports, you just can't ever count on other planes hearing your transmissions. In any event, the Cub pilot was paying attention, saw you do that, and did the right thing (go around). Kudos to the Cub pilot for that.

No doubt the other pilot was as surprised by your decision to reverse course on the runway rather than clear at the taxiway as you were to see there was another plane in the pattern behind you. At nontowered airports, you just can't ever count on other planes hearing your transmissions. In any event, the Cub pilot was paying attention, saw you do that, and did the right thing (go around). Kudos to the Cub pilot for that.

I agree Ron, my decision to back taxi (when there was a perfectly good and brand new taxi way right there) was not a good one. Like I said, that time of night is busy with pilots getting on the ground before dark dark. I should have known better. While it was dark and his radio was not working properly, he could have had an electrical failure, and looking for an airport to set down. If he would have been low on fuel life could have been interesting!

All incidents have blame to go around. All we can do is control our actions and learn from them.

Lesson learned after 2000+ hours. No matter how many hours, we can all continue to improve.

Last edited:
This isn't about a backtaxi as much as it is about communication and coordination.

I agree Ron, my decision to back taxi (when there was a perfectly good and brand new taxi way right there) was not a good one. Like I said, that time of night is busy with pilots getting on the ground before dark dark. I should have known better. While it was dark and his radio was not working properly, he could have had an electrical failure, and looking for an airport to set down. If he would have been low on fuel life could have been interesting!

All incidents have blame to go around. All we can do is control our actions and learn from them.

Lesson learned after 2000+ hours. No matter how many hours, we can all continue to improve.

The guy in the Cub did the right thing -- saw and avoided -- so what's the problem? Lord knows the number of times I've been on short final and had the guy in front of me dawdle on the runway. Always been spring-loaded to go around in those cases...

I'm really not sure what else you could've done. You didn't hear or see that anyone would be behind you. It's not like we have rear-view mirrors on our planes! :)

Nothin got bent. Congrats to everyone for being aware of the situation and reacting appropriately.

Pilot Controlled - See and Avoid

Can't assume folks will hear your unicom broadcast. The other guy may think he is listening to unicom when his audio panel is actually switched to COM2 monitoring some AWOS a hundred miles away. Not saying I've done that a few times ..... just saying it could happen.

This. We're all prone to mistakes and we've all scared ourselves a few times. What we learn from our mistakes is what is most important.

Okay, twice? In a month :mad2:

Having learned my lesson by not turning around on the runway at twilight due to traffic I was east of 35 / 17 coming in to land crossing over midfield, entering a left down wind when I see a NORAD on final. No problem. I call out I see the traffic extend the down wind and turn base, then final, to see the guy taxiiing on the runway mid field. He just passed the turn off for the damn taxi way! :mad:

Without a radio he could not turn the lights on and it was dark!

I did a go around, stayed in the patern, and landed.

I need an adult beverage. :wineglass:

The eyes on the backs of our heads don't work so well anymore...and so, he was watching.

It's amazing how we forget courtesy, and the possibility that someone might be in distress without a radio, or simply legally not talking. ALWAYS visually clear, even if you don't see anyone on "the box" or hear them on the radio. I DO use a handheld in the Cub with students, but there are times when we simply cannot effectively communicate.

Ryan

It's amazing how we forget courtesy, and the possibility that someone might be in distress without a radio, or simply legally not talking. ALWAYS visually clear, even if you don't see anyone on "the box" or hear them on the radio. I DO use a handheld in the Cub with students, but there are times when we simply cannot effectively communicate.

Ryan

The problem was not no radio, the problem was he landed on the numbers and passed not one, but two taxiwat exits. He taxied 5,000' blocking the runway because the hangars are at that end of the airport. And I was the one not being courteous? :mad2:

Did the taxiway also connect to the hangars at the end of the airport? If so, the runway should not be used as a taxiway.:mad2:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back