U-Verse

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I got AT&T U-verse installed today. The package includes internet with a wifi router, about a million cable channels and phone. On wifi I'm getting 12Mbps. I was getting 1.2 on my dsl. The options on the tv are amazing. And I'm paying less than my previous separate services. Great stuff combining technology and competition.

Welcome to the light.

Scott has UVerse too.

I think I'm going back to POTS for phone, because the VoIP UVerse phone gets echoy.

Last edited:
I got AT&T U-verse installed today. The package includes internet with a wifi router, about a million cable channels and phone. On wifi I'm getting 12Mbps. I was getting 1.2 on my dsl. The options on the tv are amazing. And I'm paying less than my previous separate services. Great stuff combining technology and competition.

I wish we had more competition here. You basically have a choice of U-Verse or Road Runner for "high speed."* They all want to give you deals if you bundle TV, phone, et al. We don't watch TV, and I've got a base landline already. I just want super fast Internet. I'm talking 100Mbps Symmetric or faster, I'll even pay extra for an SLA.

*high speed is not 10-20 supposed Mbps down with a paltry uplink speed of 1Mbps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goto speedtest.net, do a test, and hit share/forum/copy/paste. I'm on TWC RR right now. The upstream is crummy, but downstream is nice ;)

I keep waiting for U-Verse - it's in my neighborhood, but not on my cul-de-sac. Every time I call and ask "when", the canned answer is "two months". That's been going on for 2 years.

Basic UVerse 12mps service.

The UVerse VRAD is on my backyard fence with a cross-connect that is "too close" while the "legal" cross connect is too far. I have an attenuator on the line and can only have 3 HD streams. (Don't get me started.)

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    984.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    910.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Help!
(probably so slow because all you guys are hitting the site now!)
:lol:

I'm on UVerse as well. The only problem I have with it is the connection drops fairly frequently (about once every 1-2hrs the past week or so).

I'm on my iPad, wireless over my home network to Cox Cable.
I did not see the share option inthe iPad app, but I get
Ping 87
DNload, 17.48
Upload, 7.2
7:30pm

Ipad: going to that site on Safari forces the App Store to open, you can dl the app and test:
No share options.

Ping 64ms
DL 4.52M
UL 0.71M

I'm on UVerse as well. The only problem I have with it is the connection drops fairly frequently (about once every 1-2hrs the past week or so).

Call for service. That shouldn't happen. Do you have a battery on the RG? (Thinking you might have power glitches.) I was told the battery is standard if have the UVerse voice.

I've been told that the performance will vary with whatever is gong on with the TV streams but AFAIK, it shouldn't work that way. I've had about the same choking as I had with regular DSL. I blame this old Mac. My work PC works fine.

Wow.

U-verse makes me happy with my Comcast.

This is on my iPhone 4 over WiFi. (single band 2.4 GHz 802.11n).

4b94241c-3385-6b59.jpg

The dual-band N devices and wired devices do even better.

Yee-haw.

Wow.

U-verse makes me happy with my Comcast.

Yee-haw.

UVerse goes up to 27mbps and isn't shared like cable. We choose to not have that tier of service.

If you tried the UVerse DVR vs. your Comcrap one, you'd be hawing Comcast to the curb.

Call for service. That shouldn't happen. Do you have a battery on the RG? (Thinking you might have power glitches.) I was told the battery is standard if have the UVerse voice.

I've been told that the performance will vary with whatever is gong on with the TV streams but AFAIK, it shouldn't work that way. I've had about the same choking as I had with regular DSL. I blame this old Mac. My work PC works fine.

Yes, everything is running through the ATT provided battery/power unit. When they came to install, they said the line wasn't clean from the curb to the house, so they buried another line. Could still be an issue with trash in the line somewhere. Whenever it drops, everything drops - TV freezes and then goes to the blue UVerse "Here's how to troubleshoot" screen which basically says to reboot the router.

How will uverse improve my life?

It won't. All it is, at your location, is a different name for DSL.

Eventually, AT&T will change everyone to "UVerse," in name, even if you don't have the TV or phone.

You might check to see whether changing to "UVerse" might net you a better price or faster speed for the same price. Sorta doubt it will, butcha never know.

OBTW, I like UVerse too. Bt, you have to threaten to cancel service periodically to keep the price under control.

Hey, we are going to get phone service here on the farm any day now, since 1994 - just as soon as they decide to drop their demand for thousands of dollars to install it (I expect them to go bankrupt before that)...
My phone is in my pocket...
TV is DISH (for the wife, I would cancel it - I just may yet)...
IP is SPEEDNET (the biggest scam in the country)

An all in one high xpeed service would likely cost less...

denny-o

Eventually, AT&T will change everyone to "UVerse," in name

hm, just like Fedex.

"Why did I get charged the Priority Overnight price when it took 2 days to get here?"

"Two days is Priority Overnight service where you live"

It won't. All it is, at your location, is a different name for DSL.

Eventually, AT&T will change everyone to "UVerse," in name, even if you don't have the TV or phone.

You might check to see whether changing to "UVerse" might net you a better price or faster speed for the same price. Sorta doubt it will, butcha never know.

*cough* Not exactly. UVerse is fiber to the node (or fiber to the premises in new developments) DSL with video and/or VoIP phone services on it. DSL is fiber to the Central Office (if that).

*cough* Not exactly. UVerse is fiber to the node (or fiber to the premises in new developments) DSL with video and/or VoIP phone services on it. DSL is fiber to the Central Office (if that).

Mike, I know that's how it's *supposed* to be - but if you look at Dave's screensnap, you'll see that all they offer in the Uverse brand is the Internet. I really don't think AT&T has installed a VRAD cabinet in his little place-with-a-name-but-not-quite-a-town. And, when I do an availability check for Uverse service right smack-dab in the middle of town (not that Dave's all *that* far away, but still...), same result - data only, no voice, no TV.

I mean, lets us be real. Dave's county has the population density of... well, Mars. :D

Now, they may have fiber to the CO - don't know about that - but that's probably the same as it's always been.

It appears to me that AT&T has been migrating its data connections to being Uverse-branded, which makes sense if you bear in mind that more and more people are dropping land-line POTS service, and the standard DSL service typically requires an active POTS line.

BWTHDIK.

Basic UVerse 12mps service.

The UVerse VRAD is on my backyard fence with a cross-connect that is "too close" while the "legal" cross connect is too far. I have an attenuator on the line and can only have 3 HD streams. (Don't get me started.)
You know how sad that really is Mike? Monopolies have really wrecked havoc on internet pricing.

Here's my old cable modem test:

...for $49.99/month.

But even that is pathetic. In Europe, the cheapest plan you can get in many places is $14.99 for 15 MB/down 1/up. And for $50, you'd get FIOS with up to 100 Mbit/down 5/up.

Sigh....

I have AT&T Uverse, and I like them, but I feel they are overpriced. It sucks also because thats my only option where I live.

Mike, I know that's how it's *supposed* to be - but if you look at Dave's screensnap, you'll see that all they offer in the Uverse brand is the Internet. I really don't think AT&T has installed a VRAD cabinet in his little place-with-a-name-but-not-quite-a-town. And, when I do an availability check for Uverse service right smack-dab in the middle of town (not that Dave's all *that* far away, but still...), same result - data only, no voice, no TV.

I mean, lets us be real. Dave's county has the population density of... well, Mars. :D

Now, they may have fiber to the CO - don't know about that - but that's probably the same as it's always been.

It appears to me that AT&T has been migrating its data connections to being Uverse-branded, which makes sense if you bear in mind that more and more people are dropping land-line POTS service, and the standard DSL service typically requires an active POTS line.

BWTHDIK.
Dave doesn't have UVerse. He has DSL - which can go to 6mbps.

AT&T brands AT&T Digital TV as being Uverse or sateillte, but UVerse is the IPTV product over fiber-to-the-node or fiber-to-the-prem.

Bottom of the page:
http://www.att.com/shop/tv/index.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0063DO-0-1&tab=2#fbid=LmR0IfnMxul

Dave doesn't have UVerse. He has DSL - which can go to 6mbps.

AT&T brands AT&T Digital TV as being Uverse or sateillte, but UVerse is the IPTV product over fiber-to-the-node or fiber-to-the-prem.

Bottom of the page:
http://www.att.com/shop/tv/index.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0063DO-0-1&tab=2#fbid=LmR0IfnMxul

I get it Mike- my point is, when ATT's availability tool tells Dave he can get "Uverse Internet," but other Uverse services, I am pretty confident that all they are really doing is offering Uverse-branded DSL; I don't imagine that ATT installed a Uverse cab in the neighborhood (heck, his county has fewer residents than my neighborhood) just to deliver Internet.

UVerse goes up to 27mbps and isn't shared like cable. We choose to not have that tier of service.

Hate to break it to you, but everything's shared at the head-end. Over-subscription is completely normal.

That shot from my phone was taken on a Friday night, if there's any detriment to "sharing" going on here in my 'hood, I ain't seeing it. Might be because I'm a commercial account, not residential. Maybe they finally did some QoS.

$39.95/month. Pay $5 more for real static IP's.

So my "tier" of service is just fine by me.

(I love "tiers"... we used to make up crap about being in different "tiers" in the data center business... it was all bogus. All that really mattered was our uplink speeds and which carriers we went to the backbone on. That and whether or not we payed attention and shut down an upstream link if it went to total crap... there were no routing protocols that measured QUALITY of the link. Just link-state determined by little tiny packets that often got through just fine when the rest of the circuit was trashed.)

If you tried the UVerse DVR vs. your Comcrap one, you'd be hawing Comcast to the curb.

Don't have TV from them. Rabbit ears work great here. Every once in a while I miss having a DVR but I could build one if I needed to see something that bad.

Not paying the TV industry to pipe more crap into my home was the best choice we ever made... did it a few years ago, and ain't looking back.

Here's mine - but iTunes is downloading an update, and ForeFlight is also downloading its new version.

1605627103.png

I'm just down the road from Lance in East Atlanta.

How far out from the 'loop' are you? Are you on Xfinity? My parents are moving just outside of Buford, but Xfinity isn't available there yet - just curious how far out from ATL they have made it so far.

Back