The adventure continues...

So, when's the check ride, or have you guys just adopted him? ;)
We're close. We've actually only had flights on 11 days. We could have done this whole thing in 10 days but maintenance issues through us for a loop. Now we're mostly just waiting for the checkride date. The DPE I had planned on can no longer DPE.

Use of white light in the cockpit at night is not recommended :lol: Especially flash photography :nono:

I'll buy your flash photography prohibition, but if white light is not recommended, how do you explain this excerpt from AIM 8-1-6?:

"Even so, white cockpit lighting must be available when needed for map and instrument reading, especially under IFR conditions." :confused:

Bob Gardner

I'll buy your flash photography prohibition, but if white light is not recommended, how do you explain this excerpt from AIM 8-1-6?:

"Even so, white cockpit lighting must be available when needed for map and instrument reading, especially under IFR conditions." :confused:

Bob Gardner

dim white lighting actually works pretty well.

We're close. We've actually only had flights on 11 days. We could have done this whole thing in 10 days but maintenance issues through us for a loop. Now we're mostly just waiting for the checkride date. The DPE I had planned on can no longer DPE.

did he have to hang it up after his 110th birthday?

did he have to hang it up after his 110th birthday?

He said the FAA pulled him off DPE status to work on a special project and he can't DPE while doing that project. He isn't listed as a DPE now but says he will be back in jan.

I fear it's "busy work" and we won't see him back. He is 90 years old now.

Bob, I swear you take the AIM a little too seriously.. have you been hanging out with these folks? It's not gospel ;)

Definitely not in the Jimmy Wales camp.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but my gut tells me that there are some honest-to-goodness medical personnel involved when the AIM gets into human factors...I'll accept their assessment over the opinions of forum members (unless i\the forum member is Doctor Bruce Chien).

Bob

Bob Gardner

I agree that white light can be used, but it also takes away from the pilots night vision acuteness. Dim cockpit light is much different than a flash strobe going off when you have been in the dark for a while. I meant it as a joking comment.

Are we seriously having a debate with regards to a white LED light on my iPhone? lmfao.

David was under the hood. Not like it was going to matter for him. I closed my eyes when it flashed.

Are we seriously having a debate with regards to a white LED light on my iPhone? lmfao.

David was under the hood. Not like it was going to matter for him. I closed my eyes when it flashed.

+1. Move along, nothing to see here.

He said the FAA pulled him off DPE status to work on a special project and he can't DPE while doing that project. He isn't listed as a DPE now but says he will be back in jan.

I fear it's "busy work" and we won't see him back. He is 90 years old now.

'Uncle' Tommy?

Bob Gardner

Glad to see the AIM is not a victim of the "red light myth." Here is one readable resource on that subject:

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/
"For those just looking for an executive answer as to what supplemental lighting should be used to reduced the recovery time back to night vision (dark adapted or scotopic) here it is: a fully dimmable white light!"
and:
"Note: The red filtered light at the intensity most people use is likely decreasing night vision much more than a properly dimmed white or blue-green light would!"

David is now one of those fancy instrument pilots - looking down upon the VFR folks flying dangerously above overcast layers. Won't be long before we see him piloting a Cirrus.

:)

Simulated lightning. Jesse's making sure David can fly in Texas.

Congrats on passing your Instrument Airplane checkride, David!!

David is now one of those fancy instrument pilots - looking down upon the VFR folks flying dangerously above overcast layers. Won't be long before we see him piloting a Cirrus.

:)

I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.

Congratulations, David.

Woooooooo (f***ing) Hooooooooo!!!!!

Congratulations, David. You're my hero (you know, I haven't said that to a 17 yo since I've been, like, 14) :)

Last edited:
Congratulations and enjoy your new view !!

Attachments

• P1040396.jpg
    P1040396.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10
Nah, he had the ASI....:wink2:

No actually he didn't. He had the turn coordinator, cdi, and the gps. Nothing else.

The airspeed indicator, altimeter, attitude indicator, vertical speed indicator, heading indicator, and tach were covered up.

He flew a very nice LPV down to circling minimums then circled to a different runway and made a nice landing.

Last edited:
Yay David - ! Way to go. Hope texting this late doesn't wake you up but I have to send my congratulations.

Now I wonder, where you live, how much actual (if any) IFR weather you get there. In other words, when can you safely practice your new skills and say "so there" to those poor VFR pilots who have to stay on the ground?

Yay David - ! Way to go. Hope texting this late doesn't wake you up but I have to send my congratulations.

Now I wonder, where you live, how much actual (if any) IFR weather you get there. In other words, when can you safely practice your new skills and say "so there" to those poor VFR pilots who have to stay on the ground?
I think he'll get just enough - if the drought lifts. We do get some good IFR weather down here, just not tons. I've been waiting for several months for a couple of good solid weeks of it so I can finish up my CFII with some actual.

Ryan

I had covered up every pitch instrument along with the tach. The only pitch data he had was GPS Altitude. Which works better then you'd think - but the fact that it was a 530W helped with that. Know your equipment.

Tony and I did a complete panel failure (engine instruments, too, IIRC) in the RV and did a full GPS approach with the 'instruments' on the 396 only (simulated IMC). There was a 1-2 second lag in the flight instruments, but we were able to get it down to short final without too much effort. Nice to know there is a battery backup for the double-redundant onboard electrical system.

BTW - CONGRATS to David and Jesse!

Nice work, to both of you.

Congratulations!

Back