Looking for 120V power in 28V plane

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
My Samsung Q1 went out that I had AnywhereMap loaded on, so I've purchased a Lenovo tablet, which is nice because it's got all the features I like about a real laptop with all the features I like about a tablet.

But... I want to be able to plug it into the 310 while flying, which is 28V. I've seen a few power inverters on Sportys, does anyone have a recommendation?

My Samsung Q1 went out that I had AnywhereMap loaded on, so I've purchased a Lenovo tablet, which is nice because it's got all the features I like about a real laptop with all the features I like about a tablet.

But... I want to be able to plug it into the 310 while flying, which is 28V. I've seen a few power inverters on Sportys, does anyone have a recommendation?

I've got the one Sporty's sells and couldn't find a better option a year ago. Since most of my flights are under 4 hours, battery life has not been a concern since I bought it so it 's stayed in the bag except for initial test.

I've thought about permanently mounting it but this years fund went to Aera510 into the panel and wiring clean up.

Wait, you want to plug a tablet, which takes DC, into an airplane, which provides DC, by inverting it to AC first?

Check out www.igo.com. I've got their power adapter for my HP tablet and it runs off of DC from 12-28V using regular cigarette lighter power and also takes the 4 prong Airline-style DC that some Cessna's have. And of course it takes AC too. My HP power supply stays home on my desk and my iGo goes with my tablet.

Tim, I'm a mechanical engineer. Electrons are evil. Why do you think I run magnetos and mechanical fuel injection?

I just checked their website, looks like they don't have an adapter for my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad X60).

Tim, I'm a mechanical engineer. Electrons are evil. Why do you think I run magnetos and mechanical fuel injection?

I just checked their website, looks like they don't have an adapter for my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad X60).
Call them up, I bet they do (or will soon). I had a similar issue with mine.

Call them up, I bet they do (or will soon). I had a similar issue with mine.

Sounds like a good option. Cheaper than the other ones, and more appropriate for what I'm doing. Thanks!

Sounds like a good option. Cheaper than the other ones, and more appropriate for what I'm doing. Thanks!
I like Tim's suggestion the best but one option that I used on several flights to power my daughter's laptop was a 200W 24v to 12v converter feeding a 175W inverter from Radio Shack. Her laptop supply would run off of that just fine. Part of the reason I went that route is that I already had the voltage converter so all I needed to add was the inverter.

The advantage of my setup is that it can be used for several other things such as powering a 12v accessory (e.g. DVD player or phone charger), a different small 120v AC device, etc. Also nothing need change if you switch to a different tablet in the future assuming it also comes with an AC adapter. The downsides of this are the extra bulk, weight, and connections. FWIW, I wired the voltage converter to a cigar lighter plug so the "installation" is completely portable/removable and needs no FAA approval.

That was the original idea, Lance, for the same reasons you listed. I suppose the thing I don't like is I haven't seen a 200W 24V to 12V converter. Do you remember where you got one?

That was the original idea, Lance, for the same reasons you listed. I suppose the thing I don't like is I haven't seen a 200W 24V to 12V converter. Do you remember where you got one?

Ted, here's one

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PSWNV720

cheaper on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSWNV720-Power-Converter-Technology/dp/tech-data/B003P17X8I/ref=de_a_smtd

selection of models here

http://www.current-logic.com/dcdc_converter_all.php

I had one built by Garmin on the IAR to run the Narco navcomm before I upgraded to the 430w. Sold it on eBay. I don't think Garmin makes a 24v to 12v converter anymore, though.

Last edited:
FWIW this spring our 28v 182 went on a trip to Philly with a todler onboard, to entertain him they had a DVD player. The cheapest/easiest solution was to send the expired #2 battery from a Cirrus along. It's two 12v gell cells, light and spill proof. I've considered making something simmilar for boosting the iPad durring long flights.

FWIW this spring our 28v 182 went on a trip to Philly with a todler onboard, to entertain him they had a DVD player. The cheapest/easiest solution was to send the expired #2 battery from a Cirrus along. It's two 12v gell cells, light and spill proof. I've considered making something simmilar for boosting the iPad durring long flights.
Make sure the battery terminals are well insulated and the line from one is fused close to the battery. A shorted battery can do a lot of damage whether or not it's of the sealed variety and an unfused wire shorting a battery can ignite most any combustible in a hurry. Batteries also make pretty good missiles in turbulence or crashes if they're not well secured.

Targus makes a power cable that takes in 9-36vdc or any AC and powers up pretty much any comuter through a selection of plugs and output voltages and gives you a USB power point as well. I think I gave $70AU for mine at Dick Smith.

Back