Handgun question.

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
I will soon be in the market for a home/self defense handgun. I am interested in a light-medium frame revolver or semi auto. If I go with the semi auto my preference will most definitely be in .45 ACP. If I choose a revolver I will prefer a .357 magnum. I am not interested in a large capacity gun. 6+1 will be plenty if I choose to go semi-auto. I would however like to keep costs in the $500 range. I have a good deal of shooting experience with both wheel guns and autos. I owned a 1911A1 .45 for several years before it was stolen some years ago in a burglary, so if I choose the semi auto, training shouldn't be a large issue.
So, my question is, what experiences do you guys have to share to help me with choosing a firearm. Make/model preferences, reliability, comfort, ease of use etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank Browne said:
I will soon be in the market for a home/self defense handgun. I am interested in a light-medium frame revolver or semi auto. If I go with the semi auto my preference will most definitely be in .45 ACP. If I choose a revolver I will prefer a .357 magnum. I am not interested in a large capacity gun. 6+1 will be plenty if I choose to go semi-auto. I would however like to keep costs in the $500 range. I have a good deal of shooting experience with both wheel guns and autos. I owned a 1911A1 .45 for several years before it was stolen some years ago in a burglary, so if I choose the semi auto, training shouldn't be a large issue.
So, my question is, what experiences do you guys have to share to help me with choosing a firearm. Make/model preferences, reliability, comfort, ease of use etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

My choice is an HK Compact 9mm.

You might also think about .40 cal's. I personally have two that I can carry. I enjoy them both. Yes I too have 1911 .45 gold cups that are tricked out but for personal defense, I like the .40 cal. You can get the knock down of a .45 but faster than the .45 cal. I am not a big guy on 9mm. Again this is just my opinion only. To me, unless it's a head or heart shot, they just dont have the stopping power that I want.

In the price range you mention, Springfield Armory makes a 1911 that is just like government issue. Nothing fancy on it, same basic sights, etc., but it comes with Springfield's quality and reliability. You can always fancy it up later if you want to spend a bit at a time.

Taurus is supposed to be putting a 1911 on the market, already equipped with some fancy gadgets like extended safeties and better sights. It's also supposed to be priced around the $500 mark. I've not gotten my hands on one yet, but I've NEVER had a bad experience with any Taurus firearm. Like Ruger's, they are impossible to beat in value for dollar terms. High quality and exemplary reliability have been my experiences with every one I've owned.

Speaking of Rugers, if you aren't dead set against double action autos, you might want to check out their P345. It can be had for around $400. Like all Rugers, it's built hell for stout, is reliable, and is one of the best feeling guns to handle I've yet seen.

The only big revolver (the only way I care to shoot .357s) I've really liked has been the Ruger GP100 in stainless with a four inch barrel. Comfy gun to shoot, again it's built incredibly strong, decent price. It's a big, heavy gun, though, not something I'd want to carry around much.

Well, I've liked other big revolvers, but they've all been single actions, and are probably beyond the scope of what you are asking about :)

Frank, at $500 I assume you are looking at pre-owned firearms. I too am a fan of the 1911 and anything in 45acp. You can do no better IMHO. If you need a DA configured firearm then any thing HK, Glock, Smith, Sig or Springfield should do.

Thanks everybody. I was looking at some Taurus .45's on the web, and they have several that come in at $500 or under. Kinda leaning in that direction right now.

In .357 Magnum I like the 4 inch Ruger GP100. As Joe said, Springfield Armory makes a good, non nonsense 1911A1. I have the "Milspec" version which is a basic gun, but has some nice, practical features like 3 dot sights, lowered and flared ejection port and beveled magazine well. The "G.I." model is a little less expensive but has the very samll G.I. sights and none of the other features. For home defense I would get a Milspec over the G.I.

I just bought a Taurus PT145 Milpro for carry in .45. Excellent pistol and a good value at $300 and I have all kinds of expensive HK's, Sigs, Berettas, etc and I carry either the Taurus .45 or a CZ-75D PCR in 9MM.

Brent Bradford said:
You might also think about .40 cal's. I personally have two that I can carry. I enjoy them both. Yes I too have 1911 .45 gold cups that are tricked out but for personal defense, I like the .40 cal. You can get the knock down of a .45 but faster than the .45 cal. I am not a big guy on 9mm. Again this is just my opinion only. To me, unless it's a head or heart shot, they just dont have the stopping power that I want.
A friend of mine is retired FBI. About 5 years before he retired he went from a .45 to a .40 Glock. He said his scores went up several points and he thought (and I agree) that the .40 has lots of stopping power.

Not carrying weight but strictly for home, where you can just pick it up, point and squeeze or pull, the 357 mag revolver is hard to beat, unless it's a 44 mag six gun. Buy used and cheap so as to fit the mission profile of garbage guns for garbage people.

Semis are very dangerous, especially in situations of duress like self defense. They're so easy to go off and then, people often forget that fresh round that came into the chamber. I have 'em but don't care for them much. You gotta hit the safety before firing on most.

And then also technically, the pistol gripped "Mexican Mossberg" is a 12 gauge pistol in my book not only for the home but travels quite well too..

Last edited:
Know I'm just a girl, but I sure do like my Glock 23 :D

Kaye

Kaye said:
Know I'm just a girl, but I sure do like my Glock 23 :D

Kaye
Girls, guns and airplanes and motorcycles. Four of my favorite things in life! :yes:

Last edited:
Frank Browne said:
Girls, guns and airplanes. Three of my favorite things in life! :yes:

Add motorycles, and we have a home run. ;)

I like my Walther, but thats just me. :)

Glock seems to be the most simple of them all.

For home defense though. No one mentioned the good ole Remington 870 12ga? :)

AirBaker said:
I like my Walther, but thats just me. :)

Glock seems to be the most simple of them all.

For home defense though. No one mentioned the good ole Remington 870 12ga? :)

I only have two shotguns right now. A Mossburg 395K bolt action 3' mag that I would not part with for all the tea in China, and a Winchester model 37 single shot 12 ga that is my current home defense weapon along with a Hi Standard Double 9 revolver. That's why I've decided to purchase a new firearm. I want at least a few more follow up shots if needed than is availible from the shotgun, and I want much more weight of fire than is availible from the .22.

I know it didn't fit within the constraints of your initial request... but cheap and effective. AND you just have to point it in the general direction. :)

As far as the number of rounds available... If you can't get them with the first 3 shots...

Bill Jennings said:
Add motorycles, and we have a home run. ;)

I've carried a gun on my motorcycle to the airport to go flying. One day there were ramp kittens at the airport I went to. Does that count? :rolleyes:

As for guns, carry something you're comfortable using and accurate with that has as much stopping power as you can reasonably have. Go to the firing range and practice until the gun is just another tool to you. Personally I like the 45 gold cup with hollow points. It may not be the best self defense weapon in existence but when you hit something with that thing, whatever you hit stays hit and doesn't seem very interested in messing with you afterward which is the goal. The bad guy having to look down a 1/2" diameter hole is just intimidation bonus points.

Frank Browne said:
I only have two shotguns right now. A Mossburg 395K bolt action 3' mag that I would not part with for all the tea in China, and a Winchester model 37 single shot 12 ga that is my current home defense weapon along with a Hi Standard Double 9 revolver. That's why I've decided to purchase a new firearm. I want at least a few more follow up shots if needed than is availible from the shotgun, and I want much more weight of fire than is availible from the .22.

Nothing wrong with owning a .45, however under your reasoning, if what you say is true, you would be much better served putting a shell strip on the stock of the shotgun to store extras.

Around the home defense always concerns me with the magnum series rounds, .357 & .44. Too much power in a close quarters situation especially with thin easily penetrable walls hiding potential loved ones in the down range. I think the .45 is a good choice in this regard. Even more important I find is the fragmenting type bullets. There are several on the market with their own advantages. They all have the advantage though of decellerating quickly when they hit something. This does the most damage possible to the first thing hit without much if any energy left to do collateral damage. It also sets up the maximum shock from a minumum load, so a smaller slower bullet out of the gun can have as much knockdown as a more massive solid bullet. This way, 9mm is an effective caliber whereas with a jacketed round it is not so much. A Beretta 96 had travelled with me for a few years and I thought it very nice handling well balanced well manered weapon. Of course Taurus makes basically the same gun as well in .40 cal.. A nice 1911 type .45 is always good as well, I just liked the .40 cartridge and the fact that I get a few more rounds. I know several guys carry the Glock .40 and really like it, and I have shot it and agree it shoots very well indead. My problem with it is I think it's a butt ugly, chuncky clunky cheesy lookin thing that's not pleasing to my eye or hand really, so that's just a personal style thing, nothing particualar about it as a weapon.

As for a revolver, hard to beat the variety Taurus offers at reasonable prices. I'm not a big revolver person.

For defense in a .45, it's gonna be hard to beat a Taurus in your price range. Of course, look for ammo with good expansion capabilities - you're not playing by NATO rules. Strongly suggest tritium or other night sights.

However, if you're talking about home defense, as opposed to personal defense that you carry with you, nothing beats a shotgun. Just the sound of a round being chambered in a good pump action 12 gauge is enough to dissuade most intruders,

If you have a specific worry (former spouse, employee, or other stalker), be sure and try and get a restraining order first. It can make the post-shooting investigation a lot easier if you can show that you feared a threat and made the judicial system aware of it.

I love my Sig 239 9mm for personal carry, and I have a very nice Remington 870. I've had "Ciara's Honor" put on the barrel in gold lettering, and when my daughter starts dating (in 13 years or so) it will hang over the door so it will be the last thing her dates see as they walk out. I'll probably load up some shells with rock salt just for mean boyfriends.

TMetzinger said:
and when my daughter starts dating (in 13 years or so) it will hang over the door so it will be the last thing her dates see as they walk out.

I hear that! The comedien Bill Engvall has a line where he's talking with the guy who comes to his house to pick up his daughter for a date and Bill tells the guy..."See that girl in there? That's my baby. Just remember...I have no problem going back to prison".

Frank Browne said:
Frank,

I recommend sticking to the .45 over the .357 or .44 magnum. If you miss with the 45 you might go through a wall. Miss with the magnums and the collateral damage can be much more. Springfield makes a dandy mil-spec 1911 still that can be had for less than $500 brand new. http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-ms.shtml

Plus they have a new XD in a 45 as well (13+1 rounds of .45):
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-45acp.shtml

Ruger makes a couple great .45's that can really do the job and really don't need great care to keep functioning well. http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=2

Let us know what you get.

I'll try to add my two cents. More information is needed before one can really answer and/or help you. You need to ask yourself (and answer) some of the following.

1.) Are YOU the only one shooting it.. or are there others involved, ie: wife/girlfriend, teenage/younger children, etc., etc.

2.) Is the firearm going to be kept/used in the home only.. or is it going to be packed too?

3.) Is there anything with your physical size/limitations that needs to be considered?

4.) You looking to do other things with the firearm, ie: target shooting, IPSC, steel plate, hunting, etc., etc.?

There are other things you need to consider, but.. having been around firearms for over 50 years, Vietnam Vet, law enforcement, managed a full service gun shop, etc., etc. let me throw out a few of my thoughts for you to consider.

The primary number one consideration in choosing a self-defense handgun is the following:

IT MUST FIT YOUR HAND CORRECTLY!

It can be the biggest, baddest caliber.. smallest, most compact.. largest capacity magazine.. most expensive.. have all the bells and whistles, etc., etc. and if it doesn't

FIT YOUR HAND CORRECTLY,

then your ability to accurately hit what your're aiming at is greatly diminished. If you have small hands and/or short stubby fingers, then getting a double stacked .45 ACP (as a example) just won't do it. All you have now is just a couple pounds of steel that you're better off throwing at someone.

Then again, if you have large hands and/or long fingers, then trying to use a sub-sub-compact might just be as (if not more) dangerous to you then it is to the one you're trying to point the firearm at.

With everything else being equal, (the handgun fits your hands and you have a choice of calibers, let's say .45 ACP or .40 S&W), it's always better to downsize one caliber if you find out you're not quite able to handle the larger size. You also need to take into consideration the ability of those in your family being able to handle the larger calibers also.

YOU might have all the experience in the world with both semi's and revolvers.. but you need to look at the "simplicity of operation" factor if a novice family member might be shooting it.

All of the above.. and then some, is needed to be thought about when one is considering the purchase and use of a self defense handgun.

----------------------------------------------------

As a personal thought.. and I don't want you to think I'm contradicting myself with my comments I wrote above, but..

"ANY handgun is better than NO handgun when the crap hits the fan and things get down and dirty. That little 2 ounce piece of plastic and electronics called a 'cell phone' just ain't gonna get the job done!" ;)

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

I won't make any recommendations on WHICH one to get; I'm not qualified. I'll only ask that you take steps to make sure this one isn't stolen too! The bad guys have enough weapons out there already; let's not let 'em take another one!

Glock .40 is the way to go, but that is simple my $.02.

My carry gun is a (don't laugh) AMT backup .45. Its small, stainless and a .45. I don't recomend this pistol to anybody who is recoil sencitive though. It only weighs 25oz and has a 20lb trigger pull that if you do not practice can cause you to pull it off target. over 2000rnds will all types of ammo and no jams

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP, 4" barrel. It holds 8+1 and weighs 28 oz empty. Check out Kimber's web site and you will find plenty of high quality pistols.
It's one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot. It might be a little more than you want to spend.

Henning said:
I know several guys carry the Glock .40 and really like it, and I have shot it and agree it shoots very well indead.

I have a Glock 21, large frame .45acp with 10 in the mag, but it is too big to carry. I need to find something I like for carry purposes. I do like the Glock safe mechanism.

My problem with it is I think it's a butt ugly, chuncky clunky cheesy lookin thing that's not pleasing to my eye or hand really, so that's just a personal style thing

Absolutely nothing asthetically pleasing about a Glock, its a reliable tool, period. If your looking for something to polish and marvel at the machining and workmanship, look elsewhere.

IMHO the best home defense "tool" is a breech load shotgun, probably a .410 or 20 gauge with number 1 or single 0 shot. Even untrained, sleepy eyed people in the dark could work the mechanism and successfully point and shoot :rolleyes:

Not making a judgement on you or your skills Frank, I just hope that if you end up with a handgun you will take the time to train train train with whatever model you end up with. I recommend modern police autos with double action only, internal safeties. I carry the Sig P220 and like it but I also appreciate the Glock.

Oops, I see now that you have had experience shooting in the past. Train that rust out!

alaskaflyer said:
Train that rust out!

Absolutely! IMHO, the resposibility of carrying a weapon of any kind carries with it the absolute requirement to practice and train on a regular basis. Nothing less is acceptable in my opinion. My interest in obtaining a new weapon is due partly to the fact that I haven't been as active in shooting sports lately as I would like to be. I haven't been hunting in the last two seasons due to loss of our lease, and most .30 caliber centerfires don't lend themselves well to defense. Unless of course you're being threatened from someone 300 yards out.:hairraise: Besides, right now my only handgun is a .22 and I really really really want a new big bore! :yes:

Dakota is correct on fit. I was looking for a 9mm and thought the Taurus and SW were both nice looking and in my price range. However, neither one fit my hand. After much searching and borrowing/shooting, I ended up with the ugliest of ugly, a Keltec. I use target loads for "everyday" (practice) and hollow points for "dressy" (travel).

The 870 12ga is what I would reach for first in an at-home emergency.

fgcason said:
The safest gun is the one you can operate in a safe manner. Me personally and growing up with guns: An unloaded gun isn't a home defense weapon. For home defense in a relatively safe neighborhood a revolver is loaded, hammer down safety on. Semi-auto, a loaded clip is next to the gun no safety since no bullets. Hostile environments are different rules.
snip

I think you got your revolvers and pistols backwards, Frank. Most revolvers don't have safeties. Many, though not all, semi-auto pistols do.

Joe Williams said:
I think you got your revolvers and pistols backwards, Frank. Most revolvers don't have safeties. Many, though not all, semi-auto pistols do.

Um. yea. You're right. I have no clue what I was thinking. I also dropped my banana fell on the floor this morning too. :dunno:

There's also an argument for the Schmeisser MP40. One of my personal favorites. :D

Last edited:
"go to recent post" link errors ... testing to see if a new "recent post" fixes the error...

Edit: Nope, still getting
"Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Yesterday I purchased a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP. Very nice firearm. I can pick it up on Monday. Wednesday, I'll be taking a firearms safety course as required for a CC permit.

Frank Browne said:
Yesterday I purchased a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP. Very nice firearm. I can pick it up on Monday. Wednesday, I'll be taking a firearms safety course as required for a CC permit.
Nice gun Frank. You will like it.

Train like your life depends on it... For fun try out some IDPA matches.:yes:

Mark

Back