Pilot Slang?

UWOF - Upside-down in the Weeds, On Fire.
OWTA - One With The Airplane - the mystical state of communion with your craft that aviators aspire to.

If one is not OWTA, they may end up running off the runway and being UWOF, buying the farm.

Dear XXX, You Suck, Love YYY - A way of expressing congratulations and envy to a fellow aviator on his new plane/ride with Shell team/type rating/etc.

I think I've only ever been inside of perhaps 3 hangars. Total.

You need to get out more. ;)

Hangar flying= Spending time in hangars or bars looking at hangar queens (or Kim ;)) and or talking about flying. Usually done when the weather is bad, but can be done anytime as an aviator bonding thing.

Last edited:
CAVU = Ceiling and Visability Unlimited as in Clear and a million

Gone West= when a pilot dies he or she is said to have gone west.

Box= could refer to the transponder as in N1234 sqwak VFR and the pilot responds 1200 in the box.

Piston Pounder= pilot of a GA piston airplane as opposed to a pilot of a turbine aircraft.

Ramp Queen= Same as a hangar queen but tied down outside and left to rot.

Panel Envy= When one pilot drools over the equipment in anothers panel.

Goo= same as clagg or clouds.

Doctor Killer= Used to refer to Bonanzas sometimes now used to refer to Cirrus. Nice fast single engine piston aircraft that doctors could afford. The implication was that those that often bought these planes had the money to buy them but not the skill or attitude to fly them.

Ahoy! - "Hello!"
Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"
Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."
Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."
Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!
Advanced pirate lingo; or On beyond “Aarrr!”

Once you've mastered the basics, you're ready to start expanding your pirate vocabulary. Try these for starters
Beauty – The best possible pirate address for a woman. Always preceded by “me,” as in, “C’mere, me beauty,” or even, “me buxom beauty,” to one particularly well endowed. You’ll be surprised how effective this is.
Bilge rat – The bilge is the lowest level of the ship. It’s loaded with ballast and slimy, reeking water. A bilge rat, then, is a rat that lives in the worst place on the ship. On TLAP Day – A lot of guy humor involves insulting your buddies to prove your friendship. It’s important that everyone understand you are smarter, more powerful and much luckier with the wenches than they are. Since bilge rat is a pretty dirty thing to call someone, by all means use it on your friends.
Bung hole – Victuals on a ship were stored in wooden casks. The stopper in the barrel is called the bung, and the hole is called the bung hole. That’s all. It sounds a lot worse, doesn’t it? On TLAP Day – When dinner is served you’ll make quite an impression when you say, “Well, me hearties, let’s see what crawled out of the bung hole.” That statement will be instantly followed by the sound of people putting down their utensils and pushing themselves away from the table. Great! More for you!
Grog – An alcoholic drink, usually rum diluted with water, but in this context you could use it to refer to any alcoholic beverage other than beer, and we aren’t prepared to be picky about that, either. Call your beer grog if you want. We won’t stop you! Water aboard ship was stored for long periods in slimy wooden barrels, so you can see why rum was added to each sailor’s water ration – to kill the rancid taste. On TLAP Day – Drink up, me hearties! And call whatever you’re drinking grog if you want to. If some prissy pedant purses his lips and protests the word grog can only be used if drinking rum and water, not the Singapore Sling you’re holding, keelhaul him!
Hornpipe – Both a single-reeded musical instrument sailors often had aboard ship, and a spirited dance that sailors do. On TLAP Day – We are not big fans of the capering, it’s not our favorite art form, if you will, so we don’t have a lot to say on the subject, other than to observe that the common term for being filled with lust is “horny,” and hornpipe then has some comical possibilities. “Is that a hornpipe in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? Or both?”
Lubber – (or land lubber) This is the seaman’s version of land lover, mangled by typical pirate disregard for elocution. A lubber is someone who does not go to sea, who stays on the land. On TLAP Day – More likely than not, you are a lubber 364 days of the year. But not if you’re talking like a pirate! Then the word lubber becomes one of the more fierce weapons in your arsenal of piratical lingo. In a room where everyone is talking like pirates, lubber is ALWAYS an insult.
Smartly – Do something quickly. On TLAP Day “Smartly, me lass,” you might say when sending the bar maid off for another round. She will be so impressed she might well spit in your beer.

Oh wait, Pilot slang, I thought you said PIRATE slang! :D:D

Actually "Tally Ho" simply means the opposite of No Joy (i.e. I don't have the traffic/airplane/missile etc) in sight. But both terms are generally frowned on in the GA crowd and often lead to assumptions that the pilot is a military wanna be.

No.

Tally Ho (never to be used in the United States): I have the traffic in sight (has nothing to do with sequencing).
No Joy: I don't have the traffic in sight.

Tally Ho belongs in the same category as "roger" in that it serves a purpose, but is usually used incorrectly. It also confuses ESL pilots, which is not good, especially when dealing with something as important as traffic avoidance.

You guys are technically correct although that's typically the context where it is used. I hear "no joy" all the time on FF and on IFR but I have never heard "tally ho" used outside of the traffic pattern.

I don't actually use either, personally.

Actually "Tally Ho" simply means the opposite of No Joy (i.e. I don't have the traffic/airplane/missile etc) in sight. But both terms are generally frowned on in the GA crowd and often lead to assumptions that the pilot is a military wanna be.
Tally Ho originated long before moving vehicles......it came from fox hunting in Britain and is the call given when sighting the fox.

Well/....you may be on to something Nate. I think there are actually 3 blimp hangars left in the US.

The Grosse Ile Tennis Center is in what was once a dirigable / blimp hangar at what was the Grosse Ile Naval Air Station (now Grosse Ile Municipal - ONZ).

To elaborate a bit, all ground control frequencies are 121.something. So you will here the shorthand expression ground point 1 (or point 2, etc) as appropriate. Saying ground 121.1 is the correct, long form. But the 121 part is somewhat unnecessary as it should be understood by pilots.

-Skip

exceptions to every "rule"...

KGTR
GOLDEN TRIANGLE GROUND: 135.375 322.475 [0600-2000]

KGPT
GULFPORT GROUND: 120.4 348.6 [0600-2300]

KGWO
GREENWOOD GROUND: 125.55 373.4 [0800-1800]

these are just ones local to me, no doubt more exist nationwide

Or PHX
119.75/132.55

or MYF

or SAN
or...... I think you get the idea. If anything, I would say that ground freqs OTHER than 121.XX are more common.

Doctor Killer= Used to refer to Bonanzas sometimes now used to refer to Cirrus. Nice fast single engine piston aircraft that doctors could afford. The implication was that those that often bought these planes had the money to buy them but not the skill or attitude to fly them.

Forked Tail Doctor Killer = Bonanza with a V-Tail

Since were doing acronyms as well.

TITS = Tune, Identify, Turn, Steer

GUMPS = Gas, Undercarriage (gear), Mixture, Prop, Seatbelts (before landing check)
CRAFT = Clearance Limit, Route, Altitude, Frequency, Transponder (Instrument Flight Clearance)
POA=Pilots Of America

Well/....you may be on to something Nate. I think there are actually 3 blimp hangars left in the US.

The three hangars:

1. Early on in my training (pre-solo), my instructor took me to the most challenging airport we have in the nearby area. It is short, narrow, has trees on both ends, and crosswinds. (Sonoma Skypark). Students aren't even allowed to solo there. He took me there because his buddy had a hangar and was going to deliver to him some shiny spinners for his twin Comanche. I got to hang out with 3 pilots, talk about planes, look at a plane this man had taken apart and was painting himself / detailing, etc. It was the first time I've done "hangar talk" or "pilot bonding in a hangar".

2. I attended a 99s party inside the hangar of the president of one of my chapters. Had some beers and talked with women pilots about flying in other states, cross countries, and my training (no checkride yet).

3. I got to see EdFred's hangar in Michigan (with the cool motorized door) but only to take out and put back the Comanche. No hangar talk there.

The end!

No mystery at all. Mostly during pre 1940s training, the student pilot was out away from the base over cornfields or bean fields. WHen the engine quit, the cornfield was the choice. The farmer then filed a claim with the service for loss of corn and was generally so inflated that they claimed they had bought "the whole farm" of corn. Bought the farm then came to mean crash landing and ultimately died in the crash.

No mystery at all. Mostly during pre 1940s training, the student pilot was out away from the base over cornfields or bean fields. WHen the engine quit, the cornfield was the choice. The farmer then filed a claim with the service for loss of corn and was generally so inflated that they claimed they had bought "the whole farm" of corn. Bought the farm then came to mean crash landing and ultimately died in the crash.

Jim, I think that's an OWT. I've heard that story told also but haven't found credible evidence that it's true.

Oh wait, Pilot slang, I thought you said PIRATE slang! :D:D
I was at a hotel outside Nashville before a friend's wedding, and another friend noticed me eying the hostess at the front desk. We were hanging at the bar when the hostess walked by. My friend suggested to her that she should "talk to Joe, he's a pilot!". Hostess stops near us and says, "a pirate?!" After she was corrected, she replied, "oh, I'd be more impressed if he was a pirate". :idea:

I was at a hotel outside Nashville before a friend's wedding, and another friend noticed me eying the hostess at the front desk. We were hanging at the bar when the hostess walked by. My friend suggested to her that she should "talk to Joe, he's a pilot!". Hostess stops near us and says, "a pirate?!" After she was corrected, she replied, "oh, I'd be more impressed if he was a pirate". :idea:

That's why I tell people I sell Dyson Vacuums door to door.

Those things are like the Mercedes Benz of Vac's.
I bet they really think you're a baller

They should make vacuum pumps for airplanes. I'd sport a dyson sticker on my airplane if I had one.

I use Tally Ho all the time (old habits & all) - has never caused confusion with ATC from what I can tell.

LOL. This is true. However, blimps also don't fit in most 152s and I trained in a 152 . . .

Slightly off subject, but...

Kim this reply shows me that you've figured this crowd out nicely. You seemed a bit touchy when you first joined POA, but now that you've warmed up to us you fit it quite nicely.

Welcome and keep pitching it back. :D

Slightly off subject, but...

Kim this reply shows me that you've figured this crowd out nicely. You seemed a bit touchy when you first joined POA, but now that you've warmed up to us you fit it quite nicely.

Welcome and keep pitching it back. :D

LOL I was touchy because I got attacked when I joined but yeah now I know how to handle things.

Went to my first POA fly-in which probably helped, too.

Thanks..........

LOL I was touchy because I got attacked when I joined but yeah now I know how to handle things.

Went to my first POA fly-in which probably helped, too.

Thanks..........

This board bites quickly. I came to the board via a controversial thread, but there is quite a bit of seeing who can shoot urine the furthest, which is fine, I typically run pretty high manifold pressure. ;)

This board bites quickly. I came to the board via a controversial thread, but there is quite a bit of seeing who can shoot urine the furthest, which is fine, I typically run pretty high manifold pressure. ;)

I think I would lose that contest.

I think I would lose that contest.

Don't be so sure!

When I was much younger, I dated a fine looking young lady who was quite the athlete. She used to kick my a$$ at everything we did together. Bowling, raquetball, golf, you name it, this chick played college volleyball and was good at just about everything else.

One day, as I was sitting on the couch having a beer and feeling particularly sorry for myself, she came walking in and wanted to go "play something". I wasn't in the mood for my manlihood to be bruised yet again so I declined her invite. She begged...telling me I could pick the sport. She only accepted suggestions for an outside sport unfortunately.

That's when the light bulb came on!:idea:

Well, okay then, let's have a p***ing contest! I know I can whip you at that!

So, we went out in the back yard (we had tall privacy fence all around so, no, we weren't entertaining the neighbors).

I pointed at the fence and said, "you first, it's a contest to see who can p*** the highest up the fence".

Well she dropped her drawers, hiked a leg, and, by gawd, she actually got about 4' up the fence. Not too bad (for a girl).

"Next" she said.

"No Problem beating that" said I.

So I whipped it out, aimed high and as I was just about ready to let loose she said....

"ah, ah, ah...no hands!!!".

:mad2:

:lol:

:goofy:

Last edited:
I use Tally Ho all the time (old habits & all) - has never caused confusion with ATC from what I can tell.
If you ever get up this way, try using it with Flint Approach. There is a good chance they will have no idea what you mean.

Unless I'm talking to a military facility like Selfridge, I never use "tally" any more, even though it does have a certain attractive conciseness.

Back