Rejected for Life Insurance and Medical

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I am a student pilot with a currently valid 3rd class medical.

Without thinking it through, I applied for life insurance and was rejected. One of the reasons given being my flying history. Another reason given being my weight. Other than my weight, my life insurance physical exam results came back pretty much perfect >.>

Will this cause me any problems in 5 years when I need to renew my medical? I checked the medical application and one of the questions asked whether I have ever been denied coverage for life or medical... If so, is there any way I can fix it? I feel like an idiot for not thinking about this before hand...

Thanks for the help...

One of your best resources for sorting this out can be found at the phone number on this web page:
http://home.comcast.net/~bbchien/si...n/&PHPSESSID=dc49daaaa1cf81b7c78093a7991bf32d

This is the contact info for Dr. Bruce Chien, one of our resident superheroes when it comes to things FAA Medical.

Dr. Bruce should eventually visit this forum and thread, but if your need is more pressing, this is one of the best resources going.

If the rejection was for flying and overweight, the answer is "no implications".

If it was for some of the dread conditions we all hate to get....well then it depends on what the rest of the documentary file looks like :)

I'd say, generally not to worry about this.....given what you have posted.

Thanks Dr. Bruce. I was hoping that would be the answer. I thought it would be kinda odd that being rejected for life insurance for flying would be a disqualifying mark on a medical... for flying haha. I just wasn't sure if the other reason (overweight) would have any implications. This is a huge weight off my shoulders, figuratively. (workin' on making it literally as well...)

My life insurance policy specificaly states I am not covered when I am flying other than commercial flights.

My life insurance policy specificaly states I am not covered when I am flying other than commercial flights.

My life insurance policies state that I am a pilot and covered when performing piloting duties.

My life insurance policies state that I am a pilot and covered when performing piloting duties.

I enquired about my policy and the premiums would have been almost double if I wanted to include private flying so I didn't bother. If I croak while flying the wife gets my pension and everything is paid for so she is set up quite well anyway.

I'd say, generally not to worry about this.....given what you have posted.
...but you still might think about doing something about your weight before that leads to problems which will affect your FAA medical (blood pressure, diabetes, etc).

I enquired about my policy and the premiums would have been almost double if I wanted to include private flying so I didn't bother. If I croak while flying the wife gets my pension and everything is paid for so she is set up quite well anyway.

Consider shopping the policy. There is lots of competition in the term life insurance market, and many carriers who are cool with you being a private pilot.

Aggie,

I am almost 60 now so it is a mute point.:) If I was gone the households net income would actually increase, 100 LL is darn $$$.

I shopped around when I took out a life policy and found some where being a private pilot had no effect on the premium.

I bought my first premiums as a young pilot and newly married, the policy recognized my then "recreational" flying with no restrictions.

When I changed policies, I was actively flying in the AF, they just would not cover if in combat. When I retired, I made sure my agent found companies that would cover my again, recreational flying, without a kick up in the premiums.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back