The last time it was IFR here...

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
We were chatting with some local pilots yesterday, and the subject of our historic drought came up, as it usually does.

None of us could remember (a) the last time it rained, or (b) the last time it was NOT VFR here on Mustang Island.

I've certainly never seen anything like it, living in the Upper Midwest all my life. Day after day, week after week, month after month of crystal clear, blue skies. It's really been an aviator's dream down here in South Texas, the poor, long-suffering farmers notwithstanding.

I'm sure it's sprinkled since then, but the last time I actually remember it raining in earnest was the last time we had a fly-in here -- which was LAST fall, 2010. Just watch -- we're talking about putting together another fly-in, and THAT will be when "The Big One" hits... :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's sprinkled since then, but the last time I actually remember it raining in earnest was the last time we had a fly-in here -- which was LAST fall, 2010.

uhh, yeah - about that...

We've had a pretty good spell here, too. I can't remember the spring very well, but I think we went for long stretches when it WASN'T VFR. Since then, though, we've had a lot of really good VFR days, and they are still coming. Now, if I could keep the sun from setting earlier every day I could get more chances to fly after work while it's still light enough to sightsee.

Here in the Houston area we had IFR conditions last Thursday morning - due to the smoke from all of the wildfires drifting into our area. I don't remember the last time we had weather-related IFR.

Up here "in the north", it feels like we got our summer ration of rain all around April-May. We had some siginificant storms roll through at that time. But since early June, not much to speak of.

Looking at the historical information for WeatherUnderground.com, it shows that only 4.06 inches of precip was measured at KDTO since June 1.

During our abortive attempt to attend the 6Y9 do we couldn't help but notice all the green fields from here to Michigan. Very unusual for this time of year. We've had plenty of rain. And don't get me started on IFR weather.

Still and all, I think I like the fact that water falls from the sky.

It looks like I may have to cancel my friday and saturday flights due to IFR conditions. I haven't had to cancel a single flight since june. Had some deviations and once when I had to land and wait for a squall line to pass over...

What sucks is that the forecast conditions on friday and saturday would make for a great lesson with my instructor! Overcast with light rain, no tstms. Every time I take an instrument lesson there isn't a cloud in the sky.

Beautiful hot clear weather until yesterday. Now that I have my IR and we've got some weather to play in I have no time to fly. Sure glad I got the ride out of the way last week.

Back