What cha running?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Wondering what POA runs on? I'm shopping for new server space, went from shared hosting to VPS at hostgator now need something else since HG can't seem to keep a server up longer than 10 hours, considering some cloud space at rackspace.com that I have signed up for but the bandwidth charge is $0.18/GB which is pricey compared to a VPS not really an issue now as Im only using 20GB/mo of bandwitch but that's up from 5GB 3 months ago...

I use Linode (http://www.linode.com) for a VPS solution. Very inexpensive, and it does very well for the sites I host there (a corporate site for a company I run, and http://www.operationfly.com among a few others).

They get my recommendation. Let me know if you decide to go that way, I'll give you a referral code.

I'm quite comfy at a bash prompt with vi handy so I don't need anysort of hand holding with the setup/configuration/maintenance of the VPS. All my current host will say is "Techs are aware of the issue, it will be up shortly" and reboot the server. They don't tell you what the problem is or what they are doing about it. It's the physical server crashing not my VPS. So getting some info from customer support when it hits the fan is what I'm looking for. I under stand "It" happens with servers but some feedback more than a canned response would be nice. I think hosting is like a gym membership, they really don't want people who are going to actually use the service. I'm looking at 20GB+ bandwitdth, about 100,000 page views per month and storage is not an issue... yet.

I'm quite comfy at a bash prompt with vi handy so I don't need anysort of hand holding with the setup/configuration/maintenance of the VPS. All my current host will say is "Techs are aware of the issue, it will be up shortly" and reboot the server. They don't tell you what the problem is or what they are doing about it. It's the physical server crashing not my VPS. So getting some info from customer support when it hits the fan is what I'm looking for. I under stand "It" happens with servers but some feedback more than a canned response would be nice. I think hosting is like a gym membership, they really don't want people who are going to actually use the service. I'm looking at 20GB+ bandwitdth, about 100,000 page views per month and storage is not an issue... yet.

Sounds like Linode (I am pretty much in the same boat as you, with less hits). You get 200GB bandwidth on their cheapest servers, and up to 1.6TB on the higher servers.

Its a true VPS, not hosting. Hosting is a bad way to go for any site that you actually have users hitting.

With Linode, you get a root login to a server running whatever distro you want, and you build the server any way you want.

Customer support? I haven't needed it yet, but I've heard its exquisite.

BTW - ditch VI, go with nano. VI is insane with complexity for a simple text editor.

Sounds like Linode (I am pretty much in the same boat as you, with less hits). You get 200GB bandwidth on their cheapest servers, and up to 1.6TB on the higher servers.

Its a true VPS, not hosting. Hosting is a bad way to go for any site that you actually have users hitting.

With Linode, you get a root login to a server running whatever distro you want, and you build the server any way you want.

Customer support? I haven't needed it yet, but I've heard its exquisite.

BTW - ditch VI, go with nano. VI is insane with complexity for a simple text editor.

Blasphemy!!!!!!!! It only takes me 2 days to get my vi set back up when I get a new computer with all my macros and custom .vimrc files. I used nano way back in college before I knew what a real text editor was. If you think VI is complex, try EMACS.

I'm running a true VPS now using CentOS, the server farm just sucks and the customer support is worse. The VPS is VERY fast and the connection rocks, when they can keep the power on. A robot would do a better job at customer support, they just have some folks sitting there saying "Techs are aware, will be back up shortly" and won't say anything else even when pressed. I check the "last" command it appears they are rebooting about every 10 hours for the past week. unacceptable IMHO.

A former colleague of mine is using Linode for his new startup business. He is running a live inventory control system, so he's getting a LOT of hits to his server and, after talking to him last week, he is very happy with the success he is having with Linode's up-time and response time.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry if this is somewhat off thread/topic, but figured I'd chime in - I am Linode's founder and CEO, and also a private pilot as of last December. I recently joined a flying club out of ACY and have absolutely LOVED the challenges of this past year - finally fulfilling a life-long dream of learning to fly. It is amazing. Currently continuing my experience in the club's PA-28/181

if you guys need anything, please don't hesitate to let me/us know.

Thanks,
-Chris

Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry if this is somewhat off thread/topic, but figured I'd chime in - I am Linode's founder and CEO, and also a private pilot as of last December. I recently joined a flying club out of ACY and have absolutely LOVED the challenges of this past year - finally fulfilling a life-long dream of learning to fly. It is amazing. Currently continuing my experience in the club's PA-28/181

Thanks,
-Chris

A pilot??!?

Dude, you should have popped up earlier. There have been a few threads over the last year around here of people picking VPSes that I'm sure would have preferred to give business to a fellow pilot.

I gotta say, I'm a big fan (and I'm a cynical man quite often, hard to get me as a fan, as most here can attest to) - Operation: Fly (http://www.operationfly.com) is served off a VPS I have with you, and I know of another pilot here that has a bunch of aviation specific sites with you as well.

Welcome to PoA!

Thanks,
-Chris

Alright, sold! I'll be signing up ASAP. If you're flying a piper stop by the site you'll be hosting next week.

Thanks,
-Chris
Short of wrapping it in bacon, being a pilot is the best way to draw this crowd to your business.

Welcome!

First of all, anyone who has fallen pray to the false promises of VI zealots is damned to an eternity of pain and suffering. Return to the true path of EMACS.

I've actually been thinking of migrating to Linode. I use Slicehost for a lot of smaller projects, but since being bought by Rackspace, the support at Slicehost has significantly deteriorated. Now that I know it's owned by a Pilot, it's even better.

@caker: If you're ever in Seattle or Arizona, hit me up and we can go flying.

~ Christopher

EDIT: Spelling

First of all, anyone who has fallen pray to the false promises of VI zealots is damned to an eternity of pain and suffering. Return to the true path of EMACS.

We vi-head sysadmins make no promises other than when you're loading the machine from scratch, we'll be there. On the OS vendor's disc.

You'll have to use vi to get the machine up far enough to load Emacs. :)

You'll have to use vi to get the machine up far enough to load Emacs. :)

Nope. I use nano to set up ifconfig, and them yum (or apt-get if I'm unlucky) install emacs.

On those rare occasions where I have to load VI for some reason, I end up with a bunch of cruft in the file from trying to figure out what to type to close it.

~ Christopher

nano?! Good lord.

An E-mail editor spawned from pico which was part of pine -- that requires a switch option to handle >80 character lines as if we were all still using Wyse 60 terminals?!

( -w meaning "wide"!? )

That's not a text editor. That's a stripped e-mail program from the stoned IT department at University of Washington! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Nope. I use nano to set up ifconfig, and them yum (or apt-get if I'm unlucky) install emacs.

On those rare occasions where I have to load VI for some reason, I end up with a bunch of cruft in the file from trying to figure out what to type to close it.

~ Christopher

leave this to the pros, if you ever find yourself in vi [ESC]:q!

Technically, three [ESC] since you could be down in a help file. ;)

3X[ESC] :q! - Otherwise known as the "how to rescue any lost newbie vi user via telephone when you can't see their screen" command. ;)

PoA runs on a quad core dedicated server in a Nebraska datacenter.

Thar said I have used linode and continue to do so, they have a great product.

Just on a shared hosting for mewith HG. The price isn't that bad. It works and I'm happy with it.
vbulletin-smile.gif

Personally for things that don't matter these days I go with DigitalOcean over Linode. For things that do matter I run them on AWS.

PoA is still running on a custom built dedicated server in a Nebraska data center.

I know this is a zombie thread but FWIW I am a fan of:https://aspnix.com/
for 7.99 per month
Unlimited hosted domains
Unlimited email and Unlimited SQL server databases

I have 5 hosted websites, 2 w/ SQL server databases
never had an issue with downtime in 5 years

support is lightning fast. Really a solid service.

Thar said I have used linode and continue to do so, they have a great product.

Personally for things that don't matter these days I go with DigitalOcean over Linode. For things that do matter I run them on AWS.

I'm curious why you switched from Linode to DigitalOcean. Can you elaborate? (PM if you don't want to share publicly)

I'm curious why you switched from Linode to DigitalOcean. Can you elaborate? (PM if you don't want to share publicly)

I really lost confidence in Linode with the few security breaches they had.

I prefer Digital Ocean's interface.

Digital Ocean also has a $5 option which Linode does not. For most things I don't give a **** about the $5 a month is plenty of power. If I need more power I'm putting it on AWS.

Overall I feel like Linode quit innovating until digital ocean came out. They've upped their game a lot since then but by that point they already lost me.

Really either is OK but for things I care about there is a LOT more power and security to be had with AWS.

Digital Ocean also has a $5 option which Linode does not. For most things I don't give a **** about the $5 a month is plenty of power. If I need more power I'm putting it on AWS.

Overall I feel like Linode quit innovating until digital ocean came out. They've upped their game a lot since then but by that point they already lost me.

Really either is OK but for things I care about there is a LOT more power and security to be had with AWS.

Same thoughts here, and DO offered private networking between the boxes (which they've now screws up and made shared because it didn't scale, yay AWS in this regard) and dual factor auth plus a VPN to that private network long long before Linode even tried. Plus no spinning disks. Everything is in an SSD.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I've currently got 3 WordPress sites running on a single $20/mo Linode instance along with email for all three domains and I don't think it's even a blip on the utilization map.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I've currently got 3 WordPress sites running on a single $20/mo Linode instance along with email for all three domains and I don't think it's even a blip on the utilization map.

You're hosting email? That's pretty brave this day and age. Too many deliverability things to worry about with hosting your own email these days...

I used to do it back in the day. Not anymore.

You're hosting email? That's pretty brave this day and age. Too many deliverability things to worry about with hosting your own email these days...

I used to do it back in the day. Not anymore.

VERY low volume and only 3-4 addresses per domain. I wanted to do it just so I could say I did it. It was as much about the learning experience as the having the functionality.

Now that I've done it, I will 'outsource' email from now on.

Back