The 1940 Air Terminal Museum, Houston Hobby Airport

No PIREP but if PJ Gustafson is still workin' there say hi!

He stopped by Denver and we met him and his bride-to-be at the Taste of Colorado outdoor festival that year.

Awesome folks!

http://www.1940airterminal.org/

Hoping to visit this place tomorrow. Anyone got a PIREP on it?

Specifically, is there any food inside (or near) the museum?

Thanks!

No. And no. Not unless you go on a wings and wheels weekend. The closest eats is on the northeast side of the field across the street from Atlantic Aviation.

If I was off work tomorrow I'd meet you there and drive you to a good food spot.

It's been a few years since I've been there. Went right after they opened before they finished asbestos abatement in the upper levels. Bunch of photos, charts and artifacts from the 40s and 50s.

Jay:

I have been there several times, and I can vouch for it - GREAT place.

No food, unless you come during a Wings & Wheels event (monthly, I believe).

Ask for and land on Rwy 17, and you'll be there with 10 seconds of taxiing. Airside arrivers get in without paying admission, though you'll want to donate accordingly.

You should go - the collection is pretty cool, and the mere fact that the facility is still there is remarkable.

Just discovered (by reading their website) that one (of their two) buildings isn't open on weekends, which seems perfectly backwards to me.

So, I guess we'll head that-away next time we can sneak out during the week. Thanks for your responses!

Jay,

We would be delighted to have you visit the Museum. The Museum, housed in Houston's original art-deco air terminal, is open 10-5, Tuesday-Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 1-5. The Museum hangar, three doors north of the terminal, houses aircraft, additional exhibits, and exhibits in progress. It is not yet open regular hours, but can be toured with prior arrangements as manpower permits (we are almost exclusively volunteer). Fly-ins are always welcome, but please call ahead so we'll be watching for you.

Dogg, not sure when you were there last, but there have been tremendous changes over the last 4 years. Stop by and check it out.

Wings & Wheels is usually on the third Saturday of every month (except October - then the second Saturday), features a different theme each month (September is Women in Aviation Month), frequently includes car displays in addition to planes, lunch, special programs, etc.

Drew Coats

Drew -

Welcome to PoA!

As Mr. Coats notes, the museum is constantly evolving - what blows me away, is the mere fact that they have managed to salvage this beautiful old terminal building; so few of these left.

Hmmm... "Women in Aviation" - "Amelia's Landing" - I sense a promotional opportunity...

Hi Drew!

Thanks for your response and invitation. We will try to fly in this coming Wednesday, weather/business-permitting. Probably arrive for lunch -- we'll bring sub sandwiches, or something.

Is that a good day/time to visit?

Jay,

That sounds like a good plan. I'll make sure our people are watching for you.

Drew

Hmmm. Some sort of a tropical depression heading our way. They're actually predicting RAIN here and in Houston for Wednesday -- first time I've seen that prediction in 9 months.

Have to play fhe flight by ear...

We flew to Hobby Airport for lunch today at the old, historic terminal building museum. (As usual, the forecasted rain failed to materialize.) Drew had Geoff, a museum volunteer docent, waiting for us as we taxied up!

Thus, we had out own tour guide, all afternoon! Geoff was a great guy, retired from Continental Airlines, and was completely into everything aviation, just like us.

This terminal building is an amazing piece of aviation history! This art deco, 1940 terminal building sits in the middle of Hobby -- one of the two main Houston airports. Southwest Airlines has a flight coming in every few minutes, Continental maintains a huge maintenance facility there -- and right, smack in the middle of it all is this wonderful old building, preserved for all time, steeped in aviation history.

Flying into Class Bravo was a non-event. Mary got vectored around a bit, but nothing terrible. We requested and received Rwy 17, which lands you right by the museum. Piece of cake all the way, although a bit bumpy in the heating of the day.

Then, it was hour after hour of history with Geoff. He even took us up in the old tower (an area that isn't open to the public), down to the storage/restoration hangar, and everywhere in between.

We were able to acquire some nice pieces for the hotel in their nicely-stocked gift shop, met an 88-year old director who has flown everything from P-38s to DC-9s, and generally had a wonderful afternoon. Sadly, after five hours (!), we reluctantly had to leave.

We enjoyed a gorgeous sunset flight down the coast, back to Mustang Island.
The air was smooth as glass, and the view was spectacular, as the sun set below towering cumulus clouds...

It was a great day, all around. I can HIGHLY recommend a visit to this amazing museum. I've posted a bunch of pix on my Facebook page, if anyone is interested...

Let's see if linking to a Facebook pic works:

The view you see as you taxi up...

301115_242225292480039_100000777116758_611721_114310_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report, Jay. Last time I was in that building was back when it was an FBO. Arrived about 7 PM in a client's bizjet and drove down to Galveston for dinner.

Sounds like it's been better preserved than it was back then.

Nice report, Jay. Last time I was in that building was back when it was an FBO. Arrived about 7 PM in a client's bizjet and drove down to Galveston for dinner.

Sounds like it's been better preserved than it was back then.

The first floor main area is beautiful.

Everything above the first floor is stripped out, ready to be drywalled/plastered/whatever. It's going to be an enormous job (I know what refurbishing an old structure is about), and will be many years in the process -- but what a grand building to restore!

It's so wonderful to see it being saved. We fought so hard to save our Boeing/United Hangar in Iowa City -- and lost (it was torn down) -- so it's especially sweet to see SOMEONE in this world who gives a damn about aviation history.

We joined their organization with a monetary contribution -- and I urge everyone on PofA to do the same. We NEED to save this kind of stuff for future generations, and the only way that will happen is if we all chip in a little.

I'm sure Drew can tell you how/where to send your donations!

Toldja!

Glad (not surprised, but glad) you enjoyed it.

Good people there.

Jay,

Thank you!

Those interested in supporting the continuing effort, learning more about the building and its history, etc., can check out our website, www.1940AirTerminal.org. We are also active on Facebook.

Contact info for the museum is 8325 Travelair Road, Houston, Texas 77061, 713-454-1940.

Or post questions here and I'll be happy to answer them.

Drew

PS - Bill, sounds like you were at KHOU in the 1970s? The Terminal's last tenant moved out ~1978 and the building sat vacant until our non-profit got it under lease and began its restoration in 2003. We've made alot of progress since. Come check us out.

Last edited:
Drew, I thought it was later than that, but I may be wrong. Too long ago. Time flies...

Jay,

I'm glad you were finally able to swing by the museum. As a former volunteer there, it and the people involved in its restoration and ongoing operation hold a special place in my heart. I'm glad you were able to meet Capt. High as well - that man is a walking history book (who, incidentally, has a book of his own for sale in the museum gift shop entitled 'Born to Fly' - great read!). I haven't been on the board much in the past several months, so I'm sad that I missed this post, but I'm glad that Drew was able to catch this and steer you in the right direction.

I'm also glad that Geoff was able to give you the behind-the-scenes tour. I was privileged enough to give that tour to a couple other PoA'ers myself in the past. Now you just need to come back for one of the Wings & Wheels days!

Also, let them know if you're hosting a fly-in somewhere in eastern TX/Western LA - they are raffling off a Cessna 172 and would love to be able to fly it in to your event to put on display and sell raffle tickets.

EDIT:

Also, if anyone is considering flying in but is put off by the Class B airspace, the Houston Bravo is probably the most GA-friendly one in the country. Check out this website for some tips written by me and another 1940 Air Terminal volunteer who have flown in and out of that airport many times:

http://www.houstonpilots.net/resources/FlyingInClassB/

Last edited:
I'm glad you were finally able to swing by the museum. As a former volunteer there, it and the people involved in its restoration and ongoing operation hold a special place in my heart. I'm glad you were able to meet Capt. High as well - that man is a walking history book (who, incidentally, has a book of his own for sale in the museum gift shop entitled 'Born to Fly' - great read!).

The Captain was fascinating -- I wish we could have heard more of his stories! We did buy his book, which I get once Mary is done with it.

Also, let them know if you're hosting a fly-in somewhere in eastern TX/Western LA - they are raffling off a Cessna 172 and would love to be able to fly it in to your event to put on display and sell raffle tickets.

We're hoping to do a fly-in in November. Stay tuned.

Also, if anyone is considering flying in but is put off by the Class B airspace, the Houston Bravo is probably the most GA-friendly one in the country. Check out this website for some tips written by me and another 1940 Air Terminal volunteer who have flown in and out of that airport many times:

http://www.houstonpilots.net/resources/FlyingInClassB/

Flying into Class B was a complete non-event. The controllers were friendly, and only vectored Mary around twice.

Departing was as easy as pie -- we were on course within 5 minutes after departure.

All in all, it was a great day-trip. The only thing this museum is missing is food. I suggested to Geoff that they work a deal with some local pizza delivery places -- something that has worked well for the equally-isolated "Airline History Museum" in Kansas City.

Back