Unconventional Landings

And Dan, you are about right on the landing numbers. I'm right around 50, and got the "Oh ****!" right about the time I thought I nailed the landing.

She sure knows how to give me the evil eye.

Josh you and I sound alike. Yesterday was my wife's birthday. I got to our hometown bank just before she arrived and told everyone to wish her a happy 40th birthday which they did.......... She's 39.

Oh, and why on earth did you title the thread that way? Wheel landings and 3-point landings are CONVENTIONAL landings. (ie. not for those that need training wheels ;)). Tailwheel landing gear is conventional landing gear.
That's controversial :lol:. See what I mean (below)

Here's the typical TW pilot progression:

• Landings 1-3: Whoa! We swerved!
  • Landings 4-10: OK, this isn't so h---HOLY -- whew...ok..
  • Landings 11-13: (I don't think I can do this...)
  • Landings 14-20: Ok, ok, ok -- wiggle rudder, stay straight, stay straight -- yay!!
  • Landings 20-40: Another straight one! Wow!
  • Landings 40-50: This isn't so hard...
  • Landing 51: Look at me. I'm so awes -- HOLY -- whoa!! Hang on! Whew!!!!!
  • Landings 51-2000: Keep it straight, keep it straight....

LOL

• Landings 14-20: Ok, ok, ok -- wiggle rudder, stay straight, stay straight -- yay!!
Ain't that the truth!! :yikes::blush::hairraise::fcross::smilewinkgrin:

You left out the small but not-insignificant number of people in landings 51-2000 who say "OH NO!" after the ground loop and the resulting high insurance costs. :) :) :)

McCormack.

Are you a CIA agent or something? You must have had my plane bugged. You MUST have gotten this list from the trasncript of my tailwheel training!

Doc

Todd, my wife is 2 months older than me. I get to rub it in around birthday time. Somebody's getting older!

better to open the throttle and go around than to try to save such a landing.[/QUOTE]

Everyone praises go arounds and I am not knocking them when they are needed. How come no one likes to open the throttle-straighten everything out-then land again if there is 3000-4000 feet of runway left to play with?:dunno:

Rick

How come no one likes to open the throttle-straighten everything out-then land again if there is 3000-4000 feet of runway left to play with?:dunno:

Rick

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Having said that, when one is LEARNING to fly tailwheel airplanes, it is probably better to go around. Someone who is already "proficient" can more easily "save" a landing in that fashion than someone who is relatively new at it.

~~~~~~~~~ LOL, I copied this and sent it to 2 of my TW instructors and some other friends who have heard me bemoaning the "am I ever gonna get this and not be scared" litany

Having said that, when one is LEARNING to fly tailwheel airplanes, it is probably better to go around. Someone who is already "proficient" can more easily "save" a landing in that fashion than someone who is relatively new at it.

~~~~~~~~ I've managed the throttle up, even out, settle down, reland thing a time or two. But only when I'm sure that I have plenty of runway and clearance to actually go around if I need to after the second try....
I guess it depends too on if you have sufficient power to do that second real go around if you need to. My SD has plenty of power so I've tried it and been OK.

Yep, there are lots of ideas that seem to have made their way into general ideology, rather than staying in the initial training realm where they belong. Ideas such as massive patterns, powered approaches, "lead with the rudder", "happy feet" in taildraggers, "non-stabilized" approaches are dangerous, steep turns in the pattern are dangerous, ball off-center will produce a spin, "cookbook" pattern speeds and procedures, slavery to the written checklist, etc.

For some reason flying a taildragger has taken on an undeserved myth of being difficult.

To me being a competant pilot in a twin takes more skill than flying your average conventional geared plane yet people think nothing of getting a multi endorsement but are reluctant to buy a taildragger because they heard they are hard to fly.

better to open the throttle and go around than to try to save such a landing.

Everyone praises go arounds and I am not knocking them when they are needed. How come no one likes to open the throttle-straighten everything out-then land again if there is 3000-4000 feet of runway left to play with?:dunno:

Rick[/QUOTE]
Good point; I was remiss in not mentioning it. I have done this... it is a good way to rack up those touch'n'gos, too. :D

Also true... even in a gusty x-wind situation, the trouble usually begins on final, especially when the pilot is not used to the airplane yet. So flying the pattern again is not a waste of time.

When I did my tailwheel add-on, the instructor let me go around the first couple of times, then demonstrated and coached me through multiple touchdowns on the runway once he liked the way I was flying the final leg... then the next time I bounced, he encouraged me to just use the remaining runway.
This is all fine and good in a 65-hp Champ at max gross on a long, wide runway... obviously there are other situations where it would not be advisable for a beginner.

If you don't have a super long runway, I have found that you can usually recover a wheel landing bounce with a 3-point, but it is pretty difficult to recover a wheelie with another wheelie unless the runway is really long.

The article didn't mention my technique,,,three to four bounces ,a drunken weave back to the hangar and change of undies ,,,,:)

LOL. Sorry, I know I'm not posting anything useful to the thread - never flown a Tailwheel - but this deserved a big thank you for being so funny.

It's like the chief pilot of my flight school said to me once - a good landing is if you walk away from the plane. A great one is if the plane can be flown again afterwards. Now that I'm a pilot, I am more appreciative of that comment!

I reckon this is right on the money ,,,,except I still get the OH S#!T moments even after the 51 landings,,,, I've got a mate reckons he has to pluck the cushions from his butt crack after 300 hours in his C185, he asked a higher time Cessna pilot about it and was told the day you think your there it'll bite ya!:hairraise:

For some reason flying a taildragger has taken on an undeserved myth of being difficult.

To me being a competant pilot in a twin takes more skill than flying your average conventional geared plane yet people think nothing of getting a multi endorsement but are reluctant to buy a taildragger because they heard they are hard to fly.

no not difficult just do the time and learn them ,like everything ,,,but you never see this kinda passion from peeps flying twins or spamcans, the coolest planes have the little wheel on the back, :D

Oh - it helps a lot of you are the only one in the airplane and no one is watching. That's when your landings are the best.

One of my worst (recently) was landing in front of a skydiving operation with at least 20 people watching. I didn't stand a chance.

Yep, there are lots of ideas that seem to have made their way into general ideology, rather than staying in the initial training realm where they belong. Ideas such as massive patterns, powered approaches, "lead with the rudder", "happy feet" in taildraggers, "non-stabilized" approaches are dangerous, steep turns in the pattern are dangerous, ball off-center will produce a spin, "cookbook" pattern speeds and procedures, slavery to the written checklist, etc.

And who, precisely, is advocating all these dastardly foibles in this thread?

:confused:

I reckon this is right on the money ,,,,except I still get the OH S#!T moments even after the 51 landings,,,, I've got a mate reckons he has to pluck the cushions from his butt crack after 300 hours in his C185, he asked a higher time Cessna pilot about it and was told the day you think your there it'll bite ya!:hairraise:

Best bit to remember to avoid complacency...

Taildraggers are not necessarily "hard to fly" -- TW are simply not as forgiving during two phases of flight which nosewheels make routine.

Back