Screen names, user names

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
Why do lots of folks use made-up screen names? Why not just use one's real name? It's so much easier to recognize each other in this environment when there are real names attached. It takes a little of the anonymity out of it. Is there some risk to doing this?

I don't know how others feel, but to me the process of constantly having to check or remember who each person "really" is is like a bad case of parasite drag.

I'm open to any good arguments in favor of this. I'd like to quit complaining to myself about it, since I'm getting bored hearing that whiny voice in my head. :)

Sometimes other locations want you to use something else, and by using the same name everywhere it's easier to remember your user and password.

I tend to use the cumbersome "markrsmith83" in a lot of places for that reason. It's unique enough that even a Smith doesn't run into a name collision.

Yeah, only because you signed up as "Greg" before I could... :rofl: ok, just checked our profiles - we both signed up on the same day, and there's no visible timestamp on the profile page, so maybe you did get here before me - I just didn't think of it. I've had the "first initial, last name" naming convention ingrained in my head for so long, it just becomes automatic when signing up on a new site now.

Toby said:
Why do lots of folks use made-up screen names? Why not just use one's real name? It's so much easier to recognize each other in this environment when there are real names attached. It takes a little of the anonymity out of it. Is there some risk to doing this?

I don't know how others feel, but to me the process of constantly having to check or remember who each person "really" is is like a bad case of parasite drag.

I'm open to any good arguments in favor of this. I'd like to quit complaining to myself about it, since I'm getting bored hearing that whiny voice in my head. :)

If you won't sign your name to what you write or put your call sign on what you transmit, it's not worth saying to begin with probably.

Toby said:
Generally, I don't mind if someone uses an alias when posting. Mine is Greebo. It hasn't always been - I've also been Geraden and TJack in the past 20+ years of my online computer activities. It isn't always to try and hide who you are for any malicious reason, but to simply be someone else for a while. Role-play, if you will.

There are those who use made up names to try and take on a cloak of anonymity to allow them more latitude in posting aggressively. However, the good thing about our setup here is, it won't work - not well, and generally not for very long. We have a number of tools at our disposal to remove trouble users (when we finally get some, we've been lucky so far, but its only a matter of time).

I find it generally helpful to just think of users by their chosen username. If at some point they choose to put a face to their user id (ie: meet them in person), great - if not - as long as they post as a worthy part of the user community, the usernames used are all the same to me.

I mean, if I hadn't met YOU in person, Toby, how would I know you were really Toby? I play online games - and one of our guild mates had us convinced he was really a woman for over a year and a half until he fessed up that it was a role-play experiment that ended up going on way longer than he'd intended... :)

Ken Ibold said:
OK, you shamed me into it.
Ken - your user name is already "Ken Ibold" and is visible with all your posts. You don't need to change your display name. :)

Greebo said:
It isn't always to try and hide who you are for any malicious reason, but to simply be someone else for a while. Role-play, if you will.
That's true, and it's fun. You've got to admit, it still creates work for the interpreter.

I mean, if I hadn't met YOU in person, Toby, how would I know you were really Toby?
Chuck, there are lots of easy ways to verify that I'm me. Check out my website, my publisher's website, look up my books in the library, look me up in the phone book, or ask my kids! ;)

Well,
I dont think anyone here really knows me. :) So I just use the alias/nickname/handle...

AirBaker said:
Well,
I dont think anyone here really knows me. :) So I just use the alias/nickname/handle...

SCHINDLER MATTHEW of Redwood City, CA?

I've just been Razor for so long on another message board it's second nature. To me, my callsign and my real name are interchangeable when discussing aviation. :)

Carolyn

I just use Flannagan b/c that is my nickname that was given to me from Fraternity days. I use it on almost everything on the net. If you notice below it though, it does have my actual name.

B

because when we started somewhere it said "make up a handle" so I did. then something came out about putting your real name to it, so I did. anyway, too lazy to go back and change it. I'm woodstock on babes, and besides, I kinda like it. my first CFI called me that.

Going back to before Gore invented the internet, I've been silver eagle. Generally explained as liking both silver and eagles, and about 100 belt buckles to demonstrate it.
Of course, I've been John since I was born. I answer to almost anything though; many of which can't be used on a G rated board!

Dave Krall CFII said:
If you won't sign your name to what you write or put your call sign on what you transmit, it's not worth saying to begin with probably.

I'm kinda like Dave...if I say it, I own it. There are times when I'd like to say something that might be controversial and not let on who uttered it. But it makes me feel funny or furtive and sneaky to hide my name. SO, I give it a second thought and maybe I don't say it. That's just me - nothing hurtful intended if you use an alias.

Jim

Jim Chumley said:
I'm kinda like Dave...if I say it, I own it. There are times when I'd like to say something that might be controversial and not let on who uttered it. But it makes me feel funny or furtive and sneaky to hide my name. SO, I give it a second thought and maybe I don't say it. That's just me - nothing hurtful intended if you use an alias.

Jim

Personnaly, if I have something controversial to say, I'll say it, and I'll sign my name to it. If it causes someone to have a low opinion of my, so what?:dance:

For some of us it is hard to put ourselvs out there I am very shy ...But here I am. As an older pilot I tend to be methodical in flying, ( I take twice as long to do the weather and preflight as my flying friends tell me). So here I am for now I feel safe with all the folks here on POA.

Toby; you brought up a great question and as time goes on many others will most likely come forth when they feel comfortable.

John J

Toby,

I concur, but I have no problem if people want to use an alias. Its just easier if they use their name.

Grumman Flyer,

errr, I mean Anthony :)

John J said:
For some of us it is hard to put ourselvs out there I am very shy ...But here I am. As an older pilot I tend to be methodical in flying, ( I take twice as long to do the weather and preflight as my flying friends tell me). So here I am for now I feel safe with all the folks here on POA.

Toby; you brought up a great question and as time goes on many others will most likely come forth when they feel comfortable.

John J

John,

That was a very perceptive post. In a few words you changed the way I see this issue. I think you're right. Thank you.

Glad you feel safe here, and welcome!

I hope we in this community keep offering a good listening ear to everyone who visits.

Toby said:
Why do lots of folks use made-up screen names?

Toby,

Some of us still use our "callsigns" from way back in the beginning of AOPA's chat sessions. There was quite a gang that would meet up online and chat several times a week. I don't really remember how we got on the subject of callsigns back then, but it was decided that everyone needed one. The group got together an picked out some users callsigns based on their personality or professions or something interesting or silly they said or did during the chats. I was given "Shooter" back then as my call sign because I'm in Law Enforcement. I was away from aviation and the group for a long time, and when I signed back on recently, I just decided to change mine log on ID (Shooter doesn't sound as "PC" as it did back then I guess). My new one is a derivative of my location (AUS=Austin Texas) and a nickname my nieces and nephews call me. It's easy to remember because I use it on a lot of boards or websites.

I have no problem signing what I post, but at the same time, as someone who's investigated ID theft, I try not to post too much personal info in public forums. The callsigns were fun though, so we played with them. I miss those chats :D

Toby said:
John,

That was a very perceptive post. In a few words you changed the way I see this issue. I think you're right. Thank you.

Glad you feel safe here, and welcome!

I hope we in this community keep offering a good listening ear to everyone who visits.

Toby;

Thank you for your very kind note. I enjoy learning, listerning to the many who enjoy the big world of aviation and flying. it is still has all the wonderful magic I get today climbing into the plane as I did when I first took the controls.

John J

Last edited:
When I signed onto the Babes Board I was encouraged to pick a call sign like they do in the military. I thought about it and thought about it and finally decided on Maverick. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to be like Tom Cruise but Maverick does seem fitting because I tend to be a bit rebellious at times and I often feel the need for speed. Besides, I sure would love a ride in an F14.

I did notice that a lot of people here on PoA use real names so I changed my display name to my real first name. I'm not all that rebellious and I do like to fit in. However I try to be careful about how much information I give out over the internet. The internet IS the final frontier and can be dangerous.

Jean

Like most I got nothing to hide and no reason to hide behind a new name for what I have said. So I use my real name. I have nothing against anyone using alias if thats the name they intend to keep, where it gets really anoying is when it becomes a game of attack and switch names as if to hide. So for me, I really dont care for the stadium mentality of having to have a program to tell who the players are.

Right now the only other code name I am using is: Godfather, which is being used in conjunction with 2 action adventure novels written by a friend of mine, where I am both in the book as a member of the "TAC TEAM" and a contributing author.

Other than that, I am still John!

Maverick said:
When I signed onto the Babes Board I was encouraged to pick a call sign like they do in the military.
Jean

Yeh .. they tried to give me one too. I resisted. I like being the
real me. That way if I offend someone they'll know who did it.

;-)

I have nothig to hide either. I'm just somewhat guarded about how much identification I give out over the internet.

Jean

Mine was chosen for me several years ago in the early days of AOPA chat. In fact, I think more know me by my call sign than by my real name. Due to my job over the past couple of years, I have been less visible in chat what with time constraints, traveling, etc.

I have to say and I have been meaning to say this for a while, it was those early chatters that urged me on when I was a student pilot and encouraged me to continue and not give up. I had a real confidence issue in the beginning and flat refused to solo. My club tried to bribe me with all sorts of things....blow-up CFI for right seat, a flight suit and other miscellaneous items but still I refused. Finally, after talking with the other chatters and more experienced pilots, I had a better understanding of my fear of going solo and one Sunday (on a day hotter than h***) I declared I was ready. I really don't think I would have ever finished and earned my PPL had it not been for those in chat and many of whom are now friends.

Scuse me if I wandered a bit from the original thread.

Maverick said:
I'm just somewhat guarded about how much identification I give out over the internet.
This is partly my reason too, especially since I'm new here. The other reason is that reading and posting on message boards was something I considered my secret, guilty pleasure and I wasn't too sure I wanted people in my real life to know about it. They think I'm strange enough already! But over the past year or two the lines between my real life and my on-line life have virtually disappeared so I can't use that excuse any more. ;)

Funny, I've never been tempted to try on another personality hiding behind a user name and I'm probably more careful about what I say on message boards than in person.

Bootsie said:
My club tried to bribe me with all sorts of things....blow-up CFI for right seat, a flight suit and other miscellaneous items but still I refused.

Blow-up CFI! You have to tell us about that one. :)

Back