Can opener FAIL

I have to tell you, I've heard that logic before from vacuum cleaner salesmen....

Oh yes, it works for so many things. :yesnod:

One of the saddest lessons I've learned in this life is that it isn't even wrong.

Another version: You can go into Wal-Mart and get a single-burner electric hot plate for $11. With it you can cook your dinner. In my kitchen I have a single-burner electric hot plate that retails for about $500. With it I can cook my dinner. On the face my hot plate is an absurdity, yet my regret is the $11 I once wasted on a Wal-Mart version.

Oh yes, it works for so many things. :yesnod:

One of the saddest lessons I've learned in this life is that it isn't even wrong.

Another version: You can go into Wal-Mart and get a single-burner electric hot plate for $11. With it you can cook your dinner. In my kitchen I have a single-burner electric hot plate that retails for about $500. With it I can cook my dinner. On the face my hot plate is an absurdity, yet my regret is the $11 I once wasted on a Wal-Mart version.

Ditto with one $200 coffee maker vs. a waste basket full of $20 coffee makers.

I'm at wits end. WTF can I find a decent can opener that works? My folks had some cheap little metal thing that worked for like 40 years. I want one of those! I can't find one!

Welcome to the third world.

Welcome to the third world.

Ironically, I could probably actually find a working can opener in the third world. I think they send all the worthless crap they produce over to the States and keep the good stuff for themselves.

I like the idea of the sawzall. But if you want a canopener that works get a SwingAway.

thumbnail.aspx

Available at Grocery stores and Ace Hardwares near you---probably.

Like others have suggested, get a Swing-A-Way. There is a reason why they are durable: good quality materials (mine says "Made in USA" on it). Most of the cheap junk sold these days (from you-know-where) has poor quality steel (and other components as well).

If you really want to go first class get one of these: http://www.culinare.com/products/detail.asp?category_ID=1&index=3

I have had one of their earlier models for quite a few years - and it is a great piece of equipment. This can opener cuts around the rim of the can - leaving no sharp edges, but creating a lid that you can re-use. Obviously, you use this one on those occasions when you want to use part of the can's contents, and save the rest for later.

Dave

Okay, so, Swingaway, if I have to procure it locally. But I was also recommended some Swiss can opener, which looked bad assed in the Amazon link. Damn I wish I could find that link.

Yes, that was the device I reverted to. I had one. I used a vice grip to make it easier to work with.
It's more technique than having 28 ft lbs fingers.

I have one on each key ring. A couple in the glove box, two or five interspersed with my camping gear, others in each fishing tackle box. And prolly some buried in the couch cushions at various FBOs.

I remember hearing the following trivia question on a radio program once:

What is the number of years between the invention of canned foods, and the invention of the can opener?
A ) 5 years
B ) 10 years
C ) 50 years

The correct answer: (C) 50 years! Wikipedia research suggests that this answer is true.

I bought a small plastic cooler from Target for my water when I'm flying. It was good for a total of two flights, then the lid would not latch closed. I paid $17.00 for what amounted to a plastic pail.

I replaced it with a fabric one from Big 5, for around $20.00. I love it.

I think Target is suffering from the same problem Sears has; If it has moving parts, or uses electricity, it will either not work at all when you get it home, or if it does work, it won't last long.

John

What kind of pilot forgets there's a punch can opener on his Leatherman or Swiss Army knife?
This x1000. That was the absolute first thing that came to mind. My P-38 in my wallet came to mind second. I had jury duty on Monday and was really, really annoyed mostly at the idea of being forced to leave my "dangerous" Leatherman Wave behind so the goons wouldn't steal it from me i the name of safety. I can't believe how useful that tool is. I'd rather have it along than my CC most of the time...

Ryan

The correct answer: (C) 50 years! Wikipedia research suggests that this answer is true.

That probably falls in the same category as the first vice grips. The first vice grips ever invented is probably still clamped to the inventors work bench due to a lack of a release lever... :lol:

I'm done with low cost plastic junk. I've gone through countless small air pumps over the years - and every single one of them failed on the first use when the plastic thing that attaches to the valve stem shattered in a million pieces except for the one that the plastic attach thing where it attaches to the pump broke. A few weeks ago finally got the nerve to get another pump and next week I'm making a real hose with a real air chuck for it.

What is the number of years between the invention of canned foods, and the invention of the can opener?
A ) 5 years
B ) 10 years
C ) 50 years

So are you saying the first canned goods to be consumed were 50 years old?

Yuuuuuuuuck.

Gotta love the indestructible P-38 C/K Rat openers!
From the days when I used to fight forest fires, and we were sent out with cases of the darned things (dated in the early 50's, STAY AWAY from the Spanish Rice...), we could open a can in less than 5 seconds!
And of course, nobody seemed to care that a little extra tin was included in the meal, after opening... lol

Nope, that was that P-38 out of the C rats box. Mine still works after 40 years.
Oh yeah, those are cool also; but same basic principle. A good, sharp punch-type can also be sort of dragged around the edge to open the can. No moving parts= more reliable.

Fissler Smooth-Edge can opener. Best manual can opener I've ever used. It's another one that cuts around the edge of the can leaving it smooth with a lid you can place back on it. Blade never touches the food or get's that icky grime in the gears like top cut openers do.

Looks a little strange, but works great. It's made in Germany, not China:

http://www.amazon.com/Fissler-020-081-000-Smooth-Edge/dp/B0002TSF10

If you limit yourself to this, you don't need a can opener.

Attachments

• spamReg.png
    spamReg.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 2

A ) 5 years
B ) 10 years
C ) 50 years

So are you saying the first canned goods to be consumed were 50 years old?

Yuuuuuuuuck.
Nope.

A knife will open a can easily if not safely.
That's how they did it before can openers.

Are you trying to cut on the can? or the lid? (orientation of can opener)

Back