How do I build hours these days?

jermag24

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jermag24
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, I'm an A&P and I.A. working in engineering. I'm about half way through my Electrical Engineering degree and am seriously finally pursuing the reason I got into Aviation...a flying career!

I've been talking to a few flight schools out of KAPA, have flown discovery flights with a few and love the idea of spending my days at altitude. Here's my question: Once I get to the CFI level, how dependable is instructing in regard to bridging the gap between ratings?

Every flight school I've visited has directed me to this article:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/proficiency/careers/pilot-outlook-2010-2029-a-shortage-looms.html

It sounds like the outlook for flying jobs is promising, but what caught my attention is this remark: "According to the FAA, 2011 will yield roughly 69,000 student pilots in the U.S. (lowest on record). Meanwhile, recent AOPA studies show that only about 30% of those students will finish their training."

So will there be enough students learning to fly so I can build sufficient hours to obtain my MEI, etc?

Welcome to POA! I'm not really up on the flight school business these days but judging from the fullness of the touch and go pattern at KAPA it seems like quite a bit of instruction is going on there. I'm not sure how that compares to the number of instructors looking for students, though.

Welcome to POA!

The success you have as a CFI will be dependent on how much of yourself you put into it! Some CFI's are very successful, by putting the needs of each of their students ahead of their own, by showing the true passion you have for flying, and making each lesson a very positive experience. But some CFI's struggle, as they are there counting each tenth of an hr, scheduling so tightly as to not have adequate time to pre-brief/de-brief each student, etc... Students know when a CFi is truly there for them, or sucking on them like a cash cow.

If you become a CFI, don't worry about the hrs... If you do your best by your students, the hrs will take care of themselves! One day you will total your log book and realize you have way more hrs than you might have thought!

I never worried about totalling my log book except about once a month... and before I knew it, it was time for my ATP ride! And I had a heck of a good time getting there, while some of my coworkers were struggling to maintain students at all!

P&P magazine is so full of shyte. Cancel subscription not now but right now!

Build hours the old fashioned way; BIC 51.

I never worried about totalling my log book except about once a month... and before I knew it, it was time for my ATP ride! And I had a heck of a good time getting there, while some of my coworkers were struggling to maintain students at all!
Wrong thread, compadre. You mean Let's Make Friday....

Finsh EE, make a career in that, fly for fun and business. Then decide whether it is worth throwing that away for a flying career.

Finsh EE, make a career in that, fly for fun and business. Then decide whether it is worth throwing that away for a flying career.

+1.

You will make enough from EE to support your flying habit. :thumbsup:

Not if he has a lot of school debt..... Don't ask me how I know.

You think 2 years of finishing up EE will be more expensive than 2 years of chasing ratings ?

+1.

You will make enough from EE to support your flying habit. :thumbsup:

I do. I enjoy flying, but have gotten a kick of the EE stuff for over 35 years. And I don't have to worry that failing a medical exam will end my career. Which, as you get older, becomes an increasing worry.

You think 2 years of finishing up EE will be more expensive than 2 years of chasing ratings ?

I'll tell you that I have an Aero Eng Degree, which I can't imagine the pay is too different than EE, and i've got $130k in school debt. It doesnt make flying easy, or rational.

Yeah...if you're a qualified EE and decide to fly for a living, you should probably require a full psyche eval before retaining your medical.

I'll tell you that I have an Aero Eng Degree, which I can't imagine the pay is too different than EE, and i've got $130k in school debt. It doesnt make flying easy, or rational.

Right, but at this point he is already 2 years into what is typically a 4.x year degree. If he stops now, whatever he has put into it in opportunity and actual monetary cost is lost.
To get into the flying gig, he will have to spend 18 months to 2 years collecting ratings and time at considerable expense. Assuming that 'the next hiring wave is right around the corner' and he is actually able to land a job, he is looking at aviation entry-level wages in the 20-40k range for what, 3-5years ?

If instead, he spends another 50k to finish up EE, his opportunity to get to a point where he can start to pay on his student loans (if he has any) will come around a bit earlier, right ?

I didn't mean to imply that finishing with an EE degree means that you strike it rich automatically, but as college degrees go these days, I believe it is one of the few you can actually rely on to make a living.

Back