Volunteering at OSH

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
So how many of you that go have volunteered? I know Steve does, in the Warbirds area. Just wondering what the process is like... since I'll be there ALL week (7-8 days), I'm planning to find a couple of shifts where I can help out... I think it would add another dimension to the experience.

I'm coming up on my third Oshkosh adventure although my first one was actually work related. I had a great time in Warbirds last year (the rain challenged living and working arrangements were fun) and am really looking forward to this time around. I spent last year with T-34s and T-6s although the DC-3 mass arrival made life interesting. This year will most likely be the same. The airplanes are obviously great to see but it's the people who make this volunteer effort what really makes Air Venture go. Hope to see you there! Bring sunscreen.

I'll be at the "Ask a CFI" booth in the Learn-To-Fly tent for a couple of shifts, and working with the FAASTeam in the Fed Pavillion. I'm gonna try and work with the Flight Line guys one morning too.

Volunteering is a great enhancement to the OSH experience, and I highly recommend it.

I usually volunteer for shifts in the LifeLine Pilots booth and Air Care Alliance. I've also done a turn at Protect Our Planes, and may do that again, too.

So how many of you that go have volunteered? I know Steve does, in the Warbirds area. Just wondering what the process is like... since I'll be there ALL week (7-8 days), I'm planning to find a couple of shifts where I can help out... I think it would add another dimension to the experience.

Best way to enjoy Airventure, imho. It wouldn't happen without 'em.

Plenty of options

http://www.airventure.org/volunteers/

Try something that appeals to you. Be flexible and patient.

It helps to make prior contact with one of the leads, but they'll accept walk-ups, too.

And remember, they also serve who only stand and wait. [Milton]

Last edited:
It's a great time! Last year I did the duties of an aircraft greeter... you welcome airplanes as they come into the North 40. I heard a lot of great stories of flooding and rain and water.. There is a booth where you can go and sign up for the days/shifts you want to volunteer. It's the Activity Booth close to the Warbird area and you can basically work as much as you want..some people earn free admission days. Last year I emailed Sandy at smarsh27@yahoo.com just to be sure she was expecting me. I think they like the aircraft greeters to be pilots. And bring sunscreen.:)

I'm making a few presentations this year:

July 27, 2011 1:00-2:15 pm Forum Pavilion 02 GAMA: Owner Assisted Aircraft Maintenance
July 29, 2011 10:00 -11:00 am American Bonanza Society: Owner Assisted Aircraft Maintenance
July 29, 2011 11:00 -12:00 am American Bonanza Society: Calibrating TCM Fuel Injection

I make presentations most years, but am not this year. Don't know exactly when I'll be there.

I was able to volunteer as a Marshaller. As others have said, volunteering adds a great deal to the experience! I stood a shift at the top of the "ditch" and at one point "Glacier Girl" snuck up behind me and waited to be directed further! Very nice restoration! And the trimotor goes in and out pretty much going where it wants to when it wants to. It was explained to me that the job with the trimotor is basically to keep other planes away from it.

All this was 3 mebbe 4 years ago. Fun, Fun, Fun! Volunteer. You won't regret it. And, you get a spiffy patch about 6 months later!

-Skip

Just don't get in the way of one particular crazed aviation "journalist" who has a history of intentionally ramming parking volunteers who try to get him where they want him to go instead of where he wants to go.

Just don't get in the way of one particular crazed aviation "journalist" who has a history of intentionally ramming parking volunteers who try to get him where they want him to go instead of where he wants to go.

Ugh. Gee, I wonder who that could be. :mad2:

I work in Vintage Flight Line every year. Training is held every day at 9AM or 1PM (you only attend one per year). Jobs range from parking airplanes, marshalling them on the taxiways, running operations, crossing guard, crowd control during the airshow.

I work in Vintage Flight Line every year. Training is held every day at 9AM or 1PM (you only attend one per year). Jobs range from parking airplanes, marshalling them on the taxiways, running operations, crossing guard, crowd control during the airshow.

I think the first training event is this Friday. I plan on getting there this Friday, and working at least Sunday and the following Friday.

Should be fun!

I think the first training event is this Friday. I plan on getting there this Friday, and working at least Sunday and the following Friday.

Should be fun!

Patty supposedly is getting there Tomorrow. I don't know if anybody is holding training in advance of her arrival.

So I told you the story, did I?

No, but if I'm guessing correctly, this is one of those "you get three guesses and the first two don't count" type of things... Also, if I'm guessing correctly, the parking staff at Sun 'n' Fun are safe. :dunno:

I have some others, but I don't want to give away ALL my cocktail party stories!!

Heh... Well, that's why you wrote a book, right? :D

Back