JVL Pirep?

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Looks like this year's flight to OSH requires a mid-day fuel stop in the JVL area due to the expected loadout.

I've checked the Airnav comments, but was wondering if anyone has more recent experience with the restaurant, self serve, and parking for transients at JVL. Considering lunch there, but if there's another local airport that can accomodate fuel and food within ~30nm I'd be interested in a recommendation for that, too. Thanks in advance.

Haven't been to the restaurant in quite some time, but Last time I went it was an ok airport diner, nothing special. I can meet you at the airport in Madison if you made it all the way up here. Plenty of good food within driving distance.

Thanks for the info.

Appreciate the offer Pete. I'll discuss it with the pax. I think they'll want a minimum of ground time on the way to OSH, though.

Was there about a month and a half ago. Cheap good quality airport food. I've never bought gas there so can't comment on the fuel situation.

The day we were there the "wind favored" runway was closed due to a belly flopped Mooney.

I fly into JVL often for lunch, and it's a great GA airport. The restaurant is right in the middle of all of the runways (no taxi to some far-out corner of the field), offers good food, and is inexpensive. Friendly people in the tower.
I think this is the best airport in the region for a pit stop with a snack. Plus, when you take off you'll only have a quick jump up to OSH.

Good info. That's what we're looking for. Want to have a reasonable fuel reserve when we get to OSH in case we have to divert. Also,we don't want to arrive hungry as the nearby on field food vendors at OSH won't be open when we arrive and it usually takes awhile to work out the logistics for a run into town.

I usually make the flight with one stop enroute, but this year I'll need to make an extra one due to reduced fuel load and other passenger considerations.

JVL is fine and the cafe is a good diner, but you could also consider Sheboygan for a better restaurant, and the FBO in the same building. It's probably not on your route but it's not far.

JVL is fine and the cafe is a good diner, but you could also consider Sheboygan for a better restaurant, and the FBO in the same building. It's probably not on your route but it's not far.

Actually that might work for departure on Sunday. We're less time constrained on the return flight. Never been there, looks like a great place to have dinner. Thanks, we're putting it on the list.

Steve,

As for the restaurant, I agree with the others - Pretty average, but it gets the job done.

For the FBO... Well, Airnav only has one now (though that certainly doesn't mean there's only one) but if Janesville Jet Center really is the only one left, they earned it. Fuel prices aren't stellar but they're reasonable, service is excellent, people are friendly. Diverted there once due to T-storms on the way home and the owners gave us a ride to a fast-food joint and then to the bus station to finish the trip to Madison. They certainly don't live down to the "Jet Center" name. :thumbsup:

Other options - Well, I don't think there's a better option than JVL within a strict 30nm of JVL, but there's a couple of others *just* outside that range. Actually, it sounds like you're coming in fairly late so that leaves out MSN as the Jet Room will be closed, though MSN does have several courtesy cars available. But, my first choice for an alternative to JVL for you would be RYV - Wisconsin Aviation is also the FBO there, and they're great. There are several options for food right nearby, all within about a 5-minute walk: Steakfire is my favorite, it's a grill-your-own-steak type of place (or they'll grill it for you too), food is excellent, prices are reasonable. There's also a Perkins, which is certainly nothing special but there are discount coupons available for them at the FBO. Finally, if you want to get in and out quick, there's a Culver's as well - It's fast-ish food (made to order, but as quick as that gets) but it's the best burger I've had at outside of sit-down restaurants.

Sheboygan is an excellent stop for the way out - The restaurant is truly excellent, easily one of the top three airport restaurants I've ever been to. It's a bit difficult to find - It's not well marked. It's in the big gray building southeast of the approach end of runway 3, but there's no signs on the air side indicating that.

I'd also offer to meet you at MSN or C29 or wherever, but I'll be in Washington until Sunday night... So I'll see you at OSH! :yes:

Thanks Ken, I'll do some ciphering on stopping at RYV. Trying to make the trip as low stress as possible on the way up for the pax and still do it in minimum total travel time. Also considering the closest I can get to OSH IFR without a slot reservation if need be. Have used UNU before for that.

Stopped for fuel and waiting for weather in April.. nice controllers, not much traffic, fuel was cheap and the guys at the place were real friendly. Restaurant was closed on Sunday afternoon about 4, so can't tell ya about the food.

The jet center is the only FBO I recall - very GA, not jet-bling-like at all. Nice lounge with some computers and sofas, etc.

Regards,
Mike

Stopped for fuel and waiting for weather in April.. nice controllers, not much traffic, fuel was cheap and the guys at the place were real friendly. Restaurant was closed on Sunday afternoon about 4, so can't tell ya about the food.

The jet center is the only FBO I recall - very GA, not jet-bling-like at all. Nice lounge with some computers and sofas, etc.

Regards,
Mike
Did you head over to the golf course? They are a short walk from the Jet Center and they have pretty good food too.

nope, didnt know it existed. I just stopped for fuel as I was at a grass trip nearby all weekend and didnt have any... it was so damn windy I scared myself landing so I waited for it to calm down some...

-Mike

The restaurant is ok. Fuel is self serve, and each transaction was limited, so you might have put card through twice. If you have any mechanical issues, it is a great place - both my planes are worked on at Terry's Aero.

Dodge County, UNU does not have any close by restaurants, can get crowded, and has less services overall.

Waukesha, a class D, has no restaurant, and gas is expensive.

Madison has a good restaurant, friendly controllers, but you have to deal with a class c airport.

Sheboygan has arguably the best restaurant and ease of access. It would be out of the way if coming up from the SW.

Thanks for the info. The previous stop will be Cape Girardeau (CGI). SBM is outside the range for the 2 hr legs I'm limited to inbound. But I hope to try it on the way out. Been into UNU once before when ceilings required an approach. The Cessna group was staging there for OSH at the time. Tried Burlington (BUU) once, but the fuel prices at OSH turned out to be lower. Class C doesn't bother me, MSN is just a little too far north for the fuel reserve. Just need a decent fuel stop with minimum hassle. Prefer on-field dining for that reason. Beloit (44C) looks interesting, but limited on the food options.

Stopped at Cape Girardeau once, but don't recall much going on. Sounds like JVL is your best bet. There is self serve to the right as you face the restaurant, next to Terry's Aero in the blue hangar.

Been to UNU Dodge many times. Just before OSHcan be a zoo, no space on the ramp, guys landing downwind (just because you announce on the CTAF does not justify landing downwind and against everyone else departing.), and no food close by.

The class D at JVL can offer some traffic organization and separation, and it seems like your best bet.

Madison has a good restaurant, friendly controllers, but you have to deal with a class c airport.

Not really much to "deal with" at Madison - Excellent ATC there, and a good FBO. Unfortunately, the restaurant closes at 2 PM and I think Steve's going to be coming through a bit later than that.

Beloit (44C) looks interesting, but limited on the food options.

I don't know of any food options at Beloit - The airport really isn't close to town and I don't think there's a courtesy car. There's also VERY limited parking space for transients.

Steve, what's your range with two hours? I took a WAG at 300nm and that didn't even make it to JVL.

Not really much to "deal with" at Madison - Excellent ATC there, and a good FBO. Unfortunately, the restaurant closes at 2 PM and I think Steve's going to be coming through a bit later than that.

I don't know of any food options at Beloit - The airport really isn't close to town and I don't think there's a courtesy car. There's also VERY limited parking space for transients.

Steve, what's your range with two hours? I took a WAG at 300nm and that didn't even make it to JVL.
Clow (1C5) would be within the 2 hour range, but the on-field restaurant closes at 3PM. Of course, there are a bunch of other restaurants within a half mile, and there's a courtesy car if you don't want to walk.

Schaumburg (06C) has a great restaurant on the field, but no instrument approaches.

It's within a few minutes of 2 hrs (no wind) from CGI, one of the multiple stops on the way. Two things. I need to keep the fuel load to 60 gals for W&B this time and 2 hrs gives me plenty of divert options. Normally I have 84 usable and can make it with one stop, but I'm not going direct this time. Also, one of the passengers will have questionable airborne endurance. I might not even be able to do 2 hr legs. I'll give you the details when I see you at OSH. FWIW, Mary and Kathleen will be arriving separately.

KUNU (Tim, the manager) put out sandwich fixin's last year to alleviate the distance to food issue. If they know of a special request to go into Beaver Dam, they'd probably offer a van ride. Busy busy during pre-OSH though. Last year over 150 aircraft were "trapped" at KUNU by the wet conditions at OSH. Nice folks. Great service considering the circumstances.

Oblig, but if you're not going to be pressed for time stop at SIK instead and go to Lamberts.

We often do that on the return flight from OSH. And then take a nap at the FBO ....lol.

Usually we stop at Dexter (DXE) for an on-field breakfast going to OSH, but this time I don't think I can get the pax up early enough to make it doable, hence the later meal in the JVL area.

Clow (1C5) would be within the 2 hour range, but the on-field restaurant closes at 3PM. Of course, there are a bunch of other restaurants within a half mile, and there's a courtesy car if you don't want to walk.

Schaumburg (06C) has a great restaurant on the field, but no instrument approaches.

Great suggestions. Just not an option according to CHI TRACON. Was vectored 25nm away from the Class B because they saw EXP on the flight plan last time I tried. I suppose the great people of RFD are more expendable than Chi'towners.

Great suggestions. Just not an option according to CHI TRACON. Was vectored 25nm away from the Class B because they saw EXP on the flight plan last time I tried. I suppose the great people of RFD are more expendable than Chi'towners.
Well, we have EXP coming in all the time. Even have an active EAA chapter. I dunno. Maybe if you were filed direct to one of the two? (BTW, we probably won't be here Sunday because we're driving up to KOSH with the MIL, or we'd treat you to lunch!)

Well, we have EXP coming in all the time. Even have an active EAA chapter. I dunno. Maybe if you were filed direct to one of the two? (BTW, we probably won't be here Sunday because we're driving up to KOSH with the MIL, or we'd treat you to lunch!)

The approach controller made it clear he didn't want me in his airspace so I'm going to oblige him and his cohorts accordingly. There's plenty of other air to fly through (at least for now) so rather than argue the point I just complied with the vector.

We stopped at JVL for fuel but decided to push on to OSH rather than eat. JVL tower was very helpful getting in and out.

Departing OSH we circled around Lake Winnebago (clockwise) to let my right seater get some stick time and stopped in at Sheybogan for the restaurant and add some fuel.

They were still setting up the Sunday buffet when we got there so we just ordered off the breakfast menu. What we ordered was really good and I'm glad we tried it. We ate in the "banquet room" (formerly the main hangar apparently) and were entertained by a steel guitar player and his electronic band box. Rather amusing to say the least.

Back