Using Flight Following to Practice Manuvers

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
A couple days ago I went out to practice stalls, emergency descents etc.

I've been operating out of fields located under a Class B for awhile, but now we're at a towered airport.

When I checked in with ground, I told them I was headed East to where I could get up to 3500 ft and he asked me if I wanted radar services.

I declined, but then wondered how I would use flight following when I'm not really heading anywhere.

Given all the traffic during peak, is now seems like a good idea.

Does any body out there use flight following for manuvers? Any special request to make?

Thanks,

Hmmm, I suppose if they know what your doing, they could advise you of traffic, etc.

Not sure why that wouldn't work.

"Bugsmasher 13 will be maneuvering at 3,500 15 miles east of the airport, request flight following"

Most likely they have a defined practice area they are familiar with and send people to. Ask a local flight instructor.

Ask approach or the tower controller for a block of airspace from 5000 to 2000 or whatever you need, wherever you need it. Worst that can happen is that they are too busy or otherwise have a reason to say no. They will grant it if they are able.

Related question: Assuming that ATC grants VFR flight following, why would one ever file a VFR flight plan?

When I'm just piddling around with maneuvers, I just say, "SGF approach, puddlejumper 12346 out of Bugtussle at x,xxx feet to the ____ practice area; request radar advisories." They are always kind enough to do so. Radar advisories, since I'm not going anywhere in particular; flight following if I have a specific destination other than the home drome.

When I took my commercial checkride, the examiner got all over me for not requesting flight following for the maneuvers in the practice area. I knew that radar coverage outside of Charlotte was not that good so the conversation went like this:
1. Me - Climb checklist complete
2. Concord Controller, 5JG, leaving my airspace, have a good day
3. Examiner, what are you doing, you haven't picked up radar services with Charlotte
4. Charlotte departure, 5JG, just departed the concord airport, request flight following, maneuvering 3,500 feet 20 miles to the NE of the concord airport.
5. 5JG Charlotte departure, squawk 4320 and ident
6. 3 minutes later, 5JG, Charlotte departure, leaving my area, squawk 1200 and good day.

Ask approach or the tower controller for a block of airspace from 5000 to 2000 or whatever you need, wherever you need it. Worst that can happen is that they are too busy or otherwise have a reason to say no. They will grant it if they are able.

Ask for a block of Class E airspace to operate in VFR? You don't have to ask for that and ATC can't deny it.

flight following is the keyword that is keeping the logic from working.

Think radar advisories or rada services.

Just say hey miami approach (or whatever it is where you are) nxxxxx 5 w of khwo (or whatever) request traffic advisories

if they ask where you're headed tell them you'll be in the area maneuvering

if they give you a hard time try a diff frequency and this time say you're doing photography.

If they're too busy then they're too busy but if I see lots of traffic in the sky I always ask for advisories.

Related question: Assuming that ATC grants VFR flight following, why would one ever file a VFR flight plan?

There will be a lot of time, especially at the altitudes most of us fly, when radar coverage might get a little lacking. Or, you could have a radio failure. Either one might make you glad you filed a flight plan.

Flight following is provided on a workload permitting basis, if the controller's workload gets too high flight following will be terminated. If radar contact is lost flight following will be terminated.

The requirement for radio communications (and not being abole to fulfill that requirement) would be one reason. There are other reasons.

If you do request FF to a practice area, be sure to notify ATC prior to engaging in low level maneuverings*. They don't like the heartburn of you dropping off their screens.

The requirement for radio communications (and not being abole to fulfill that requirement) would be one reason. There are other reasons.

The question was, "Assuming that ATC grants VFR flight following, why would one ever file a VFR flight plan?" I think that establishes the radio communications requirement has been met.

The question was, "Assuming that ATC grants VFR flight following, why would one ever file a VFR flight plan?" I think that establishes the radio communications requirement has been met.

What does radio communications have to do with a VFR flight plan?

You speak of establishing comms. Maintaining comms is a separate but as important consideration.

It could be equipment failure, terrain, weather, pilot distraction, ATC inattention, or a host of things which prohibit maintaining comms.

I once filed VFR plan involving direct two points with low alt manuevering for photo ops. When opened after take off, ATC advised I give a heads up when I depart from direct flight and report back up. This was in radar environment in mountainous terrane.

Last edited:
What does radio communications have to do with a VFR flight plan?
Advise you amend your question. "What does radio communications have to do with receiving FF services?"

Answer: Everything.

Last edited:
Used to do this regularly in San Antonio in the south practice area. I was out there one day shortly after getting VGs installed on the plane.... and the controller asked "what are you doing, 'cause I'm showing less than 10 knots of airspeed with the altitude steady".

I love my VGs.

As a student pilot I did this quite a lot, and got into the habit of it after being called out as traffic by Selfridge Approach. Even when I was practicing choosing a field and setting up an approach for an "emergency" landing, I just let them know what I was doing and it was no problem since they were expecting it. (Caution: be sure you know all the obstacles in the area if you're going to do this alone, and don't get so low as to alarm folks on the ground!)

It's definitely helpful to have that extra set of eyes looking out for you, even when you're just maneuvering in the practice area.

You speak of establishing comms. Maintaining comms is a separate but as important consideration.

It could be equipment failure, terrain, weather, pilot distraction, ATC inattention, or a host of things which prohibit maintaining comms.

Actually, I spoke of the radio communications requirement. For flight following to be effective radio communications must be established and maintained.

I once filed VFR plan involving direct two points with low alt manuevering for photo ops. When opened after take off, ATC advised I give a heads up when I depart from direct flight and report back up. This was in radar environment in mountainous terrane.
ATC has nothing to do with VFR flight plans, they are the domain of FSS.

If radar contact is lost flight following will be terminated.

If the subject aircraft does not respond on the radio to the termination of FF what will ATC do? Will the controller shrug and assume the flib moved on, or will he dial 9-1-1?

If the subject aircraft does not respond on the radio to the termination of FF what will ATC do? Will the controller shrug and assume the flib moved on, or will he dial 9-1-1?

He should dial 9-1-1. The unexpected loss of radar and radio contact is an emergency situation, IFR or VFR. If the subject aircraft is in an area where both should exist ATC is to inform the Rescue Coordination Center or ARTCC.

I use FF all the time when doing maneuvers. It's been a lifesaver several times. One time I was in a block of airspace and didn't know I had a bad transponder - heard the controller call my position out to a flight of 8 or so F-16s and realized that he had a different altitude on me than I showed, and he was vectoring them right through my position... needless to say, I checked with him about that and then scooted home. Here in San Antonio we have the west practice area and the south practice area, and I far prefer to be on flight following.

Ryan

We have 3 designated practice areas, so we just let Buffalo approach know which one we are headed to. As mentioned, they do not like it when you drop off the radar. We always notify them because there is a good deal of traffic around here.

Back