is this legit?

croncron22

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
im a ppl and looking to do my instrument at minimal cost.
this guy is offering an express IR course for $125 a dual hour on a 172. he also says that you get free lodging and use of his simulator. he is doing this because he "LOVES TO TEACH FLYING AND I LOVE TO FLY."

is this legit? will i get kidnapped and chopped into pieces if i do this? is there a way to find out what his student pilots though of him?

thanks guys!

this guy is offering an express IR course for $125 a dual hour on a 172. he also says that you get free lodging and use of his simulator. he is doing this because he "LOVES TO TEACH FLYING AND I LOVE TO FLY."

is this legit? will i get kidnapped and chopped into pieces if i do this? is there a way to find out what his student pilots though of him?

thanks guys!

Maybe.

YOU SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 45 HOURS OF CROSS COUNTRY , A CURRENT MEDICAL AND HAVE PASSED YOUR IFR GROUND TEST. IF YOU HAVEN'T PASSED YOUR GROUND TEST YET YOU CAN STILL DO THIS BUT YOU MUST START STUDYING IMMEDIATELY , BEFORE YOU ARRIVE . YOU CAN CONTINUE STUDYING FOR YOUR GROUND TEST HERE

This is the part that smells funny to me. Who calls it a "ground test"? It has a Nigerian feel to me.... Could be perfectly legit though.

Nobody (that I know) has ever taken one in an airplane.;)
This is the part that smells funny to me. Who calls it a "ground test"? It has a Nigerian feel to me.... Could be perfectly legit though.

haha. it sounds like a good deal, but who knows? what would you guys do?

He probably means written exam, as opposed to the practical (air test?). Just a poorly worded ad. Doesn't mean the person isn't an ax murderer though.

EDIT: 5-7 days is a bit short. I usually see twice that time listed on other accelerated courses. What happens if you really need more time?

Last edited:
is there a way to find out what his student pilots though of him?
Get some references. Ask for contact information on his most recent four students. Talk to them and verify dates. Check their certificates on line.

He probably means written exam, as opposed to the practical (air test?). Just a poorly worded ad. Doesn't mean the person isn't an ax murderer though.

EDIT: 5-7 days is a bit short. I usually see twice that time listed on other accelerated courses. What happens if you really need more time?

I did mine in a week.... I have never heard an American Airman refer to the "Written Exam" or "Written Test" as a "Ground Test". Sometimes it's the little things that point out the scam. The guy may be legitimate and just doesn't have a full grasp of the language.

actually i've heard that terminology quite a bit..

I did mine in a week.... I have never heard an American Airman refer to the "Written Exam" or "Written Test" as a "Ground Test". Sometimes it's the little things that point out the scam. The guy may be legitimate and just doesn't have a full grasp of the language.
And you took more than 5 days. A lot depends on preparation. Most places say 7-14 days.

Like this one:
http://www.afit-info.com/website.html (don't click unless you like music in your web experience)

or http://www.aftcenter.com/?gclid=CMDZ0-vwi6kCFUM65Qodvidgqw

These guys claim 15 days http://www.atpflightschool.com/prog...aign=adwords&gclid=CP_frKHxi6kCFQbe4AodFR16pQ

thanks guys!

After reading the ad he seems legit.
He is only offering 20 hours dual in the 172 and 20 in the sim. The 125 an hour is for building XC time as I read it.

We have a local guy here that has a trailer and a sim that offers about the same type of package.

As for him being an ax murderer? Ask for references.

After reading the ad he seems legit.
He is only offering 20 hours dual in the 172 and 20 in the sim. The 125 an hour is for building XC time as I read it.

We have a local guy here that has a trailer and a sim that offers about the same type of package.

As for him being an ax murderer? Ask for references.

From who? The mortician?

hahaha. he gave me some references, everything looks good. i might go on with it if i fail to find anything cheaoer (i found planes 152's in florida that go for $100 dual, and actually the flight to florida is cheaper. we'll see).

quick question - i also have 3 other endorsements (well some of them are) in mind - high performance, complex and G1000. how would you guys combine that with the instrument? maybe do the long 250NM X C on an rg or an arrow or something to get the complex endorsement?

hahaha. he gave me some references, everything looks good. i might go on with it if i fail to find anything cheaoer (i found planes 152's in florida that go for $100 dual, and actually the flight to florida is cheaper. we'll see).

quick question - i also have 3 other endorsements (well some of them are) in mind - high performance, complex and G1000. how would you guys combine that with the instrument? maybe do the long 250NM X C on an rg or an arrow or something to get the complex endorsement?

Personally I would concentrate on the IR. Get the complex and HP in a buddies plane sometime.
Doubt you will get the complex endorsement just doing the long IR XC.
Most CFI's want more than just two or three landings to give it to you.

The "short" IR courses are really pretty intense in learning. Adding another endorsement to it, would probably just cost you more in the long run.
Just my .02 worth

Personally I would concentrate on the IR. Get the complex and HP in a buddies plane sometime.
Doubt you will get the complex endorsement just doing the long IR XC.
Most CFI's want more than just two or three landings to give it to you.

The "short" IR courses are really pretty intense in learning. Adding another endorsement to it, would probably just cost you more in the long run.
Just my .02 worth

Agreed. You're going to have your hands plenty full with the instrument rating. Best of luck to you, try and enjoy it!

thanks guys. i appreciate it! still trying to find the cheapest IFR equipped plane though. florida is looking promising.. do you guys happen to know a cheap dual 150/152?

I'm not sure you can combine too much of the high performance, and complex endorsements with instrument training. Sure, you can fly some of your instrument training flights in such a plane, and shoot some approaches with one, but there definitely a lot more to it.

As far as the G1000, there really is no such thing as a "G1000 Endorsement". Some renters may require you to complete a G1000 Training Course though, such as the "Kings School Cleared for the G1000"

There's a G-1000 endorsement?

5 to 7 day course:

You may get the ticket, but you ain't gonna be safe or proficient....

That depends on you and your CFII. You do 40hrs, most of them partial panel, in a week then pass a checkride, I can't imagine being more proficient.

How many 150/152's are set up for real IFR training? I sure never saw any when I was teaching in CO... It usually had to be at least a decent 172 or Cherokee/Archer... (Not saying there aren't any- just suggesting they may be few and far between..)
And in this day and age, getting some GPS and "glass" experience should be part of IFR training... again, not something you will find in the average 152.

How many 150/152's are set up for real IFR training? I sure never saw any when I was teaching in CO... It usually had to be at least a decent 172 or Cherokee/Archer... (Not saying there aren't any- just suggesting they may be few and far between..) /QUOTE]

People don't put money into the panels of 150/152s around here because you'll take 30 minutes getting high enough to shoot the ILS 35R at KAPA in the summer. ;)

And in this day and age, getting some GPS and "glass" experience should be part of IFR training... again, not something you will find in the average 152.

Disagree. That's called "transition" training or "aircraft familirization". If a candidate shows up and is flying only steam gauge aircraft they shouldn't need to show any proficiency with an overpriced Garmin box at all.

Alternatively, I'm sure there will be glass-only pilots in a few years who'd auger in, in a steam-gauge aircraft.

I agree with you that I shouldn't be able to go plow into hard IMC single-pilot IFR in a G1000 aircraft the day after taking a checkride in my steam gauge 182, if I have zero G1000 time, but that's between me and the owner and the insurance company.

Tech is changing too fast to teach to a specific cockpit unless the FAA is going to set some standards for how information on these screen-based devices is presented and retrieved and how the UI must operate.

Considering that there are still specific questions about which direction one should turn an RMI knob on the written test, I don't doubt that they'd love to do just that, though. "Turn knob left on ancient gear almost no one has anymore, and if that's the wrong direction, turn it right," apparently isn't good enough to prove one has appropriate knowledge to fly via instrumentation. ;)

Don't give them any ideas.

The FAA making assumptions about how manufacturers will build their IFR systems as the FAA closes down their highly-standardized one, is entertaining. I get a chuckle out of the HSI questions on the instrument written.

I've flown an HSI in a simulator. As a non-professional pilot and GPS moving map tech taking over, the chances I'll ever see a real mechanical one in any aircraft I fly are about zero. A fake screen-based depiction of one if I were to select that display mode, maybe.

Can't be all that long until voice recognition is involved, for example. A Com radio could easily copy frequency changes today. I talk to my cell phone and tell it "Call Karen Duehr -- Mobile" or "Call 303 555 1212" every day with a bad audio quality Bluetooth speakerphone and the window open at highway speeds.

How are they going to give written tests on that?

Can't be all that long until voice recognition is involved, for example. A Com radio could easily copy frequency changes today. I talk to my cell phone and tell it "Call Karen Duehr -- Mobile" or "Call 303 555 1212" every day with a bad audio quality Bluetooth speakerphone and the window open at highway speeds.
Heh. Maybe someday even LockMart's VR will be accurate enough to be useful in a pinch.

"Please say the state you are departing from."
"Michigan."
"I think you said... Arizona."

:mad2:

I will say this, I believe if you do all your IFR training in a G1000 aircraft, you should have a restriction on your instrument rating that limits you to ONLY glass cockpits. Endorsement to get rid of? The G1000 really is great, but it really spoils you and does a lot of work for you. I think it would put you in a great amount of danger to do your training in G1000 and just jump into hard IFR in a steam guage aircraft.

I think you would be 99% incompetent in a steam gauge aircraft using VORs and such, if all your experience was in G1000 using its GPS and moving map displays.

It would be alot easier to transition from steam guage to glass, than the other way around.

That depends on you and your CFII. You do 40hrs, most of them partial panel, in a week then pass a checkride, I can't imagine being more proficient.

Disagree Entirely

At that moment in time, you MAY be proficient to PASS a checkride, you're still not safe or proficient in the long run. It's just the basics of primacy of instruction, repetition and the impact of learning over time vs cramming into short periods.

Last edited:
I'll say I agree with Henning, with the condition that you keep using your new instrument rating to fly very often, right away. If you start pushing the instrument rating envelope right away, I think you'll be safe and proficient. Can you go straight to hard IFR with only ever seeing a training environment? Probably not, but do you have the tools to kiss a little IFR enroute? Possibly adding a take off into IFR, with light IFR enroute, with VFR arrival? Probably OK.

If you do an accelerated training program, i think you will lose it just as quick if you don't start using it right away.

Can you let me know how this goes? I'd love to do something similar.

Sounds legit but the usual caveats about prepayment for flight training still apply.

Back