Getting Back On The Horse

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
As several of you are aware, I developed a debillitating illness about a year ago and self grounded. Similar to a reformed alcoholic staying out of bars, I found I had difficulty hanging around this site as I would quickly develop a bad case of "flying envy".

Shoot forward about 12 months and the medical treatments have worked. Went through a new flying medical (Class III) and the AME said I had all the bases covered and so he saw no reason why I wouldn't receive my medical. He submitted all the paperwork and said I should have the approval before the end of June.

Got in 2.5 hrs with one of my partners last month renewing my Instrument Proficiency and have the BFR scheduled for the first weekend in June.

It's so close I can taste it! Looking forward to jumping in the plane on my own and just going somewhere!

Best of luck. I didn't fly for almost a year and didn't realize how much i missed it until I put the throttle in on the runway! I did avoid the web boards too.

Barry: based on the school of hard knocks: call 405-954-4821 on three nonconsequitive days. Put up with the call queue. First determine that your documents have been received.

Call twice more to get moved to the head of the review line.
If your AME is a good guy, have him call after the confirmation that documents are on you file....and they will WIRE you an authorization.

Welcome back. :)

Barry that is fantastic news!! We'll look forward to seeing you back here at POA!

Barry: based on the school of hard knocks: call 405-954-4821 on three nonconsequitive days. Put up with the call queue. First determine that your documents have been received.

If your AME is a good guy, have him call after the confirmation that documents are on you file....and they will WIRE you an authorization.

Interestingly enough, my AME recommends not doing that. He claims that doing so will just get my application moved to Dr. Silberman's desk and he is pickier. And he won't call on my behalf. I'm going to call the FAA next Monday when I'm back in the country.

Thanks Bruce - I'll give it a couple of weeks then make my first call.

Congrats Barry. Glad to hear it.

Barry, Welcome back! We'll get together over at KDPA again, or you can make the long FLIGHT to 1C5! :)

Interestingly enough, my AME recommends not doing that. He claims that doing so will just get my application moved to Dr. Silberman's desk and he is pickier. And he won't call on my behalf. I'm going to call the FAA next Monday when I'm back in the country.

I'd bet your AME doesn't have the SI experience and personal connections with those in charge that Dr. Bruce does, and that Dr. Bruce is much more likely to be right than your AME...

Just sayin'.

Thanks Bruce - I'll give it a couple of weeks then make my first call.

Got a letter last week from the FAA stating they had received the electronic app and were waiting for the mailed backup materials.

I'm out of town this week (Houston) but when I'm back next week I'll give them a call to follow up.

Okay - back in the office and phoned today "to confirm documents were received". The lady told me they were received on May 25th (my letter was dated May 13th) and my application was in the queue. I asked about expected time frame and was told they don't provide time frames any more, but they were being done in order of date received. I then asked what date they were working on now and she claimed she didn't know.

I'll call again on Monday next week.

BFR scheduled for this weekend!:fcross:

Back