Teen Pilot

mcarlini

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mcarlini
Hello,

I passed my checkride about a month ago at the young and unstable age of 18 :D

Is anyone else here around my age? Im trying to connect with some other teenage pilots

Hello,

I passed my checkride about a month ago at the young and unstable age of 18 :D

Is anyone else here around my age? Im trying to connect with some other teenage pilots

Congratulations! I'm 16 and waiting to turn 17 to take my check ride.

Congratulations! I'm 16 and waiting to turn 17 to take my check ride.

That is awesome. I would've began earlier... but my parents wouldn't let me haha. Then last summer they finally gave in... and I found 2 jobs to pay for it. When are you 17?

Have you finished up everything else you can do? Im not sure what the regs say, but maybe you could get signed off on one or two extra solo cross-country flights just for fun.

In any case, a couple months isn't too bad. I started training last June and just finished up last month. Totally worth the wait!

In fact, I just finished writing a book about my experiences. Check it out and maybe you could pull something useful out of it.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/59890

Enter the coupon code AE62S so you get it for free. Let me know what you think!

Man, I absolutely love this thread. You guys have made my day!

Pilots of America's Chief Technical Officer and Head Mothah----- In Charge, Jesse Angell, was something like 12 when he got his ticket, and he's (if I recall correctly) an instructor in SR71s. Or maybe that's a Cherokee. I get 'em confused. (I know, Jesse was already 17 when he got his ticket... but he really is an instructor!)

We have another participant, Rudy Belew, who started out here freshly-minted and flying around in a Cherokee 140. He's an Air Force jet jock now. That one is for real.

Youth and aviation are a perfect combination - let's hope you guys are the leading edge of a strong trend.

Im just curious, is anyone here familiar with a man named Field Morey? How about Middleton Municipal Airport in Wisconsin?

Crazy good pilot and cool guy. Got his commerical when he was around 18, owned Morey field (now Middleton) for many years, and started a company called Morey's West Coast Adventures. He had 60,000+ hours a year or two ago and has completed 3000 checkrides (including my own). He is an inspiration!

Currently 18, got my license at 17 back in August.

We have a number of pilots or students in their teens. Austin out in Colorado (mtn2skys) is proably about 17 now we have one or two in Texas.

Spike is in his 50s and I'm 47 but we can act 16 at times.

Yes Field Morey is a legend. Andrew ( FlyersFan31) from this board has flown with him two or three times.

I'm really happy for those of you who started flying young. When I was training the first time 20 years ago, the son of my assistant came in after school and cleaned the offices. He had solo'd on his sixteenth birthday, or whichever is the first day allowed and while he worked for us and in high school, he took his check ride on his seventeenth birthday.

I left the company shortly after and then came back to work for that company five years later. During that time he had graduated high school, gotten more ratings and had come to work for the company. He then worked for me until the wheels started falling off of the company after 9/11. He was mature beyond his years and probably more mature and reliable than the other, older people on my staff. I don't know if this came from his pilot training, but I don't think the pilot training hurt.

I say, do what I was unable to do; start young and stay current.

My $0.02,
Doc

Damn kids who forget what old really is. Where's my walker? Get off my lawn!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ROTFLMAO!!!

If there's anybody here close enough to old age to start worrying about a walker it's me. "Shut up you young whipper snapper and come help me into my plane or a whack your hand with my cane!"

You know the funny thing is that next week I'll be eligible for Social Security, but I don't feel old at all. I've taken good care of myself and it's paying dividends. Up until two or three years ago I could knock out 50 push ups and 200 situps. I can still do the sit ups, but my one of my elbows is giving in to a point that the push ups are moving out of the picture.

More power to the youth. I hope that they ALL learn to fly!

Doc

Last edited:
If there's anybody here close enough to old age to start worrying about a walker it's me. "Sut up you young whipper snapper and come help me into my plane or a whack your hand with my cane!"

It's my goal to be 80 and outrunning the whipper snappers. :)

Damn kids who forget what old really is. Where's my walker? Get off my lawn!

I've got a nice porch, just need to work on the cooler of PBR. If only I didn't want to fly gliders on the weekends I could just sit on the porch, get drunk, and scowl at the neighbor kids.

EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

Congrats on the checkride! I just passed my instrument ride, I am too at the ripe age of 18 until July. I hope to get my commercial knocked out over the summer. What kind of flying do you do?

Im just curious, is anyone here familiar with a man named Field Morey? How about Middleton Municipal Airport in Wisconsin?

Crazy good pilot and cool guy. Got his commerical when he was around 18, owned Morey field (now Middleton) for many years, and started a company called Morey's West Coast Adventures. He had 60,000+ hours a year or two ago and has completed 3000 checkrides (including my own). He is an inspiration!

Heck yeah. I grew up in Middleton, and rode past Morey Field on my bike many times. I've been interested in aviation longer than I can remember, but it's quite possible that it's partially because the 45 to the downwind for the old Runway 30 went right over our house, so there were always little planes flying over us. I landed on that sidewalk, er, runway once before it was torn up to make way for the nice new runway they have now.

Are you aware of the aviation history of the Morey family?

And y'know what's really sad, I've never actually met Field, much less flown with him. Gotta do one of those Alaska adventures before he stops flying.

Congrats on the checkride. I was 18 when I received my license. Have fun man, its the greatest hobby/profession in the world.

I am 24 now and just starting Air Force Pilot training. I had an older guy tell me once that: "You start with one hand full of luck and the other empty of knowledge. The key is to fill the knowledge hand before the luck runs out"

Enjoy your ticket,

Heck yeah. I grew up in Middleton, and rode past Morey Field on my bike many times. I've been interested in aviation longer than I can remember, but it's quite possible that it's partially because the 45 to the downwind for the old Runway 30 went right over our house, so there were always little planes flying over us. I landed on that sidewalk, er, runway once before it was torn up to make way for the nice new runway they have now.

Are you aware of the aviation history of the Morey family?

And y'know what's really sad, I've never actually met Field, much less flown with him. Gotta do one of those Alaska adventures before he stops flying.

I know that Field's father was first, then Field, and now his son runs the airport, or something to that extent. Field is a funny guy, and i'm glad it was him who gave me my checkride. That is judgment that I can trust. He told my instructor that the challenge will be to get every applicant to perform as well as I did on the checkride, and man I felt honored by that statement (even though I disagree).

He has several airplanes out here, including a 2008 C172 that I rented during my initial training and during my night cross-country flight. G1000 glass cockpit, Bose headsets, leather seats-- it has it all.

Funny enough, Field lives about 10 houses down from me, and between us is the FAA doctor of the valley. Small world!

Congrats on the checkride! I just passed my instrument ride, I am too at the ripe age of 18 until July. I hope to get my commercial knocked out over the summer. What kind of flying do you do?

That is awesome I cant wait to begin Instrument training. Hopefully it may come in a little cheaper than the private because I can use a simulator. I think im going to spend this summer building XC hours, but next summer I plan to knock that one out. However, I may land a job that allows me to rent out a C172 for just $40/hr, in which case I will definitely be working on my instrument this summer!

I'm just getting ready for a summer of day trips around the area. The coast, In N Out in Redding, Trinity Lake, Sunriver for breakfast with my girlfriend, etc,. That kind of thing.

I've got a nice porch,
He does have a nice porch, I saw it yesterday. :goofy:

As far as being young, I started taking lessons at the advanced age of 19 and that was a loooooooong time ago. :eek:

I know that Field's father was first, then Field, and now his son runs the airport, or something to that extent.

Kinda.

Field's dad, Howard Morey, got the first license to operate an airport in the state of Wisconsin. On the very same day, his son was born, and he decided he couldn't name his son "Airport," so he named him "Field" instead! :rofl: That airport was Royal Field, which was located roughly where South Towne Mall is now, just off the Beltline in Madison.

I'm not sure what happened to Royal Field that closed it, or when exactly Morey Field opened up, but if you fast-forward a ways, Morey Field (C29, soon to be KMRV) was owned and run by Field. There were two grass runways and one very narrow paved runway, and a pair of quonset hut hangars.

In 1998, Field sold Morey Field to the city of Middleton, and they got some FAA grant money to expand it. A new runway 10-28 was built, 4000x75 feet, parallel taxiway, several dozen new hangars, new terminal... It's quite nice. And yes, Field's son Rich is the president of Morey Airplane Co. and the manager of "Middleton Municipal Airport - Morey Field" these days.

In the new terminal, there is an old picture of Howard, Field, Rich, and Rich's son in front of a Cessna.

Howard and Field have both been inducted into the Wisconsin Aviation Hall of Fame (links are to their bio pages). There are some inconsistencies between those and my story from memory above... Most notably that Howard was manager of the Madison Municipal Airport and named such the day Field was born, but that wasn't his airport (MMA, as they note, was taken over by the USAAC in WWII, It's now Dane County Regional/Truax Field, KMSN but that is not where Howard's airport was located. I'd sure like to get the history from Field himself! :dunno:)

That is awesome I cant wait to begin Instrument training. Hopefully it may come in a little cheaper than the private because I can use a simulator. I think im going to spend this summer building XC hours, but next summer I plan to knock that one out. However, I may land a job that allows me to rent out a C172 for just $40/hr, in which case I will definitely be working on my instrument this summer!

I'm just getting ready for a summer of day trips around the area. The coast, In N Out in Redding, Trinity Lake, Sunriver for breakfast with my girlfriend, etc,. That kind of thing.

Simulators definitely do some things very well, but they aren't any substitute for actual...get as much actual as you can!

Kinda.

Field's dad, Howard Morey, got the first license to operate an airport in the state of Wisconsin. On the very same day, his son was born, and he decided he couldn't name his son "Airport," so he named him "Field" instead! :rofl: That airport was Royal Field, which was located roughly where South Towne Mall is now, just off the Beltline in Madison.

I'm not sure what happened to Royal Field that closed it, or when exactly Morey Field opened up, but if you fast-forward a ways, Morey Field (C29, soon to be KMRV) was owned and run by Field. There were two grass runways and one very narrow paved runway, and a pair of quonset hut hangars.

In 1998, Field sold Morey Field to the city of Middleton, and they got some FAA grant money to expand it. A new runway 10-28 was built, 4000x75 feet, parallel taxiway, several dozen new hangars, new terminal... It's quite nice. And yes, Field's son Rich is the president of Morey Airplane Co. and the manager of "Middleton Municipal Airport - Morey Field" these days.

In the new terminal, there is an old picture of Howard, Field, Rich, and Rich's son in front of a Cessna.

Howard and Field have both been inducted into the Wisconsin Aviation Hall of Fame (links are to their bio pages). There are some inconsistencies between those and my story from memory above... Most notably that Howard was manager of the Madison Municipal Airport and named such the day Field was born, but that wasn't his airport (MMA, as they note, was taken over by the USAAC in WWII, It's now Dane County Regional/Truax Field, KMSN but that is not where Howard's airport was located. I'd sure like to get the history from Field himself! :dunno:)

Wow thanks for that! That is really interesting. I used to think his name was Morey Field... never heard of someone being named Field. Id love to visit that airport someday.

Congrats on the checkride. I was 18 when I received my license. Have fun man, its the greatest hobby/profession in the world.

I am 24 now and just starting Air Force Pilot training. I had an older guy tell me once that: "You start with one hand full of luck and the other empty of knowledge. The key is to fill the knowledge hand before the luck runs out"

Enjoy your ticket,

Congratulations on the Air Force Pilot Training. When I was 19, in 1968 the draft was in full force and I was imminently headed for the military. I went and took all the tests and all I had to do was make it past the physical for Naval Flight School. In the physical they made a mockery of my eyesight not being up to requirements. It was one of the most disappointing days of my life.

I ended up learning electronics and nuclear warhead custody, then radar repair in the Army.

I admire anyone who can even make it into Military flight training, much less make it through. Best of luck to you, and thanks for volunteering to serve our country.

Doc

Same. I'm 23 currently...

I feel old too. I'm also 23. I started flying when I was 20 or maybe 21.

The memory must be the first to go. But now, I have my commercial and instrument ratings in a single engine and need to fly my Twin Comanche for 25 hours (insurance requirement) and get my Multi rating.

Hopefully, I can get enough free time to finish my CFI in singles before my written expires and get my MEI someday after I gain some experience.

Blue skies and tailwinds to everyone.

I was a teen pilot once, was scheduled to take my checkride when 18 but the examiner stood me up and I got my ticket 3 days after my 19th.

Then 9 months later I bought my plane.

Back