Confidence In Ability

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
I've been looking at starting a Homebuilt project (either the RV-12 or Zodiac XL), however I will be honest. I have never built an aircraft before, and I'm not exactly a handyman. However, I've been considering home builts because I want an aircraft that is "mine", I want an aircraft that when people see it in the sky, they'll know that it's my aircraft.

However, right now I don't really have any confidence in my ability to build an airworthiness aircraft without a ton of help from more experienced builders. A part of me wish Vans or Zenith offered one of those Two Weeks To Taxi program that Glasair offers.

Has any other homebuilders ever experienced this, and how did you get over it?

I've been looking at starting a Homebuilt project (either the RV-12 or Zodiac XL), however I will be honest. I have never built an aircraft before, and I'm not exactly a handyman. However, I've been considering home builts because I want an aircraft that is "mine", I want an aircraft that when people see it in the sky, they'll know that it's my aircraft.

However, right now I don't really have any confidence in my ability to build an airworthiness aircraft without a ton of help from more experienced builders. A part of me wish Vans or Zenith offered one of those Two Weeks To Taxi program that Glasair offers.

I would definitely suggest you go with one that has a "build it at the factory" program. Nothing wrong with a Glasair or a Tango. IIRC, Lancair used to do it as well. A few major issues: 1) You will finish the project. 2) You will have confidence in the plane. 3) You will save money by not wasting a bunch of material on mistakes. 4) It won't take 15 years to build a plane you'll be afraid to fly.

I know there are some very active RV support groups out there that are willing help see you through your project. It may require some travel on your part, though.

A part of me wish Vans or Zenith offered one of those Two Weeks To Taxi program that Glasair offers.

The Arion Lightning can be built in a build assist program at Arion's facilities: http://www.flylightning.net/build-assist.html

More expensive than the RV-12 or Zodiac XL, but comparable performance when built to LSA specs - and much better performance when built to its full non-LSA specs.

The Arion Lightning can be built in a build assist program at Arion's facilities: http://www.flylightning.net/build-assist.html

More expensive than the RV-12 or Zodiac XL, but comparable performance when built to LSA specs - and much better performance when built to its full non-LSA specs.
I hope their aircraft are produced with more care than they used in writing their website! I've never seen so many misspellings on a professional website!

If you are interested in the RV-12 or Zodiac, attend a Sonex Builders workshop. It's relatively inexpensive, and you learn a lot that would be transferable to other AL/pulled rivet models.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/support/workshops.html

You get hands on time, so you can get a feel for it building is something you can tackle.

Tim

The journey begins with the first step. Honestly, the empennage and wings of an RV-12 are very simple to build. Pulled rivets through a prepunched structure. It'll take a first time builder several months to build those subassemblies. In that time, you should participate on Vansairforce.com, where you will learn a lot just by reading through pertinant threads. If you have questions or issues, people there are very willing to help.

Also, with 7,000+ flying RV's and many thousands more underway, there are probably a dozen owners or builders within a half hour of you if you're in any sort of a metro area. Find a mentor from that population and get going...

I would look up the local EAA chapter, and show up to one of their meetings. You can get a lot of good advice that way.

FWIW

Based on what I've seen, the base structure is the quick and easy part that most people seem to do well. And this is where you likely get the best directions when you buy a kit. Where a lot of homebuilders fall short is in the wiring, plumbing, etc. A lot of little fiddley details...

Disclamer:While I have helped out on a couple homebuilts and curently own a homebuilt built by someone else, I ain't never built an airplane of my own.

Not all EAA chapters are building chapters.. some tend to be predominated by those who have finished their planes (or bought them) and are flying them...

That doesn't mean it isn't worth looking into, but just understand that not EVERY EAA chapter is geared towards mentoring new builders..

I would also give strong support to the notion of a factory assisted build. If you can do/afford 2 weeks of vacation and get mentored full time construction of your bird, TAKE it.. otherwise that project may very well turn into that 10 year boondoggle that you are scared to fly... as others have mentioned.

Now.. for those out there who are good at tinkering/building things/following instructions and have a basic smattering of craftsman skills, you are likely to do just fine with a slowbuild if you make a commitment to it..

Back