What are you flying?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I'd like to toss a question your way:
What do you fly for fun? Training? Challenge yourself?

Are they all the same, why or why not?

Me: C-172, cause I'm a student pilot and that's what my school has.

I am extremely fortunate to belong to a rather large flying club in SoCal, so I have a lot of planes to choose from.

For training - currently doing alot of pattern work and commercial manuevers in 172s and PA28s and an Arrow, flying from the right seat.

For x-countries and IFR stuff - Beech Duchess or Cherokee 6 if I'm hauling my family around.

For fun/challenge myself - I try to do re-current in the DC-3 when finances support.

Piper Aztec and Cessna 310. Why? Because I like having two engines, they both have de-ice, and most of the missions I fly are hauling lots of dogs.

Were it not for the animal rescue work I do, I'd probably look at buying a Lancair 360 and just fly that for fun. Or maybe a IV-P.

Traveling - Bonanza C33A. Like sitting in a living room, fast, and incredibly stable.

Fun - PiperSport. Lightweight, modern, comfortable, and just "plane" fun to fly. And with the light wing loading and lack of significant momentum, a bit of a challenge as well.

Skyhawk C-172L.

*** for fun, challenge; and it's a sufficient picture podium.

HR

Baron BE58 for business and family travel - Twin engine redundancy, payload, speed, and smooth ride

Piper SuperCub (rent) & Great Lakes Biplane (rent) - Low, Slow and Upside Down

I pretty much only fly for fun any more and I fly a Pitts S-2C. Why? Because there just ain't no more fun to be had in any anti-gravity device ever conceived by man. About the only other aircraft I long for these days is something on amphibs but I definitely wouldn't give up the Pitts to get it.

I rent a 152.

Why? It's the cheapest airplane available and I'm a broke college student. :tongue:

Frankenkota - because the A&P dubbed it so after installing the intercooler. Of course that's in addition to the upper deck pressure controller, the Aspen, the 90B, the pcas and voltmeter on the glare shield, and the tablet PC on the yoke.

On the outside, it is still pretty much like it left the Piper plant ('cepting the two new intakes in the lower cowl). On the inside, it is much, much different. Maybe it really should be Turbo Dakota 2.0

Rag and tube homebuilt LSA taildragger (Merlin GT). Cuz thats whats I gots. It ain't fast, but it flys.

Fixed wings, low wings, and high wings :cornut:

C182/Da-40/Archer for power right now. For fun I fly around in my KA-6 sailplane (see .sig). I also do rides at my glider clun in a Blanik L-23, and if I ever pass my CFI-G test I'll be spending time in the back seat of a 2-33 this summer.

nothing much lately. in a club with 172s and a 182RG. my Cherokee II glider when the weather is nice and club 2-33 and 2-22 when i want to give instruction. Club also has a Ka-6 and Grob Twin Astir that I could occasionally fly too. And of course occasionally tow in the Club 182. My on again off again power students have a 150 and a 182. Otherwise whatever I can get my hands on

Grumman AA1-A and Gyrobee autogyro.

Attachments

• 2-17-2011 -1.jpg
    2-17-2011 -1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 080708_19101.jpg
    080708_19101.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My buddy's Piper Tomahawk when I can afford to put fuel in it. Free for the taking if he's not using it.
Building a Challenger II at home. Should be much more affordable.
One of these days.....

Cherokee 140. I own it. I can afford to own it and operate it.

172SP G1000, but looking to transition into an SR-20. I found a local place that rents the SR-20 for the same rate I'm paying as the 172, so I'm looking forward to a quicker plane (less time in the air = saving $$).

Are they all the same, why or why not?

Me: C-172, cause I'm a student pilot and that's what my school has.

Nothing right at the moment. My C-182P R/STOL baby goes into the shop on Wednesday to determine where the big fuel leak is coming from, and it's probably the port-side fuel bladder.

Mechanic wasn't sounding too hopeful after he heard the initial symptoms over the phone yesterday. :(

When it's not grounded, it usually serves well for all three above missions, however. ;)

Have flown lots of Cessnas from the 150 through the TR-182 and a little bit of C-210 time (majority of time in C-172, C-172RG, and pre-restart C-182), SGS-2/33 glider, a Mooney, a Cherokee 180, and even a little over an hour of time in the right seat of an ATR-42 once (which I will deny, but it was a Part 91 flight...), as well as the 757/767 simulator, 747-400 sim, ATC-610 sim, various Frasca sims, and I'm probably forgetting some stuff...

They all can handle the above missions, too. :cornut: :thumbsup:

Stuff I'd like to fly: The Husky again, a Carbon Cub SS, a Cirrus, any Diamond, a Bonanza, any twin but would drool heavily and probably need a handkerchief around any nice Cessna 310, anything aerobatic... oh did I mention that I consider most warbirds way out of my league, but if someone's offering...

Oh who am I kidding, I'd love to fly anything. Even fling-wing... if I didn't have to pay for it. ;) :cool2:

I fly my HP16 Sailplane by far the most, and have the most fun in it.
Lately have been flying a C-140A, because it is cheap for me to use,
And a variety of just about anything when doing instruction, here is the list of what I have flown in the past year.

Callair A-6 -----0.3
Blanik L-13 ----0.6
J-4A -------------1.0
PA22-108 ------1.0
FD-CT ----------1.3
C-206 ------------1.6
PA28-180 ------1.8
C-182 ------------2.0
C-150 ------------2.3
J-3-100 ----------2.6
PA18-150 ------5.1
14-19-2 ---------6.1
8GCBC ---------7.0
T-53 -------------9.2
C-172 ---------17.2
C-140A -------23.3
Sport Cub ---27.2
C-152 ---------35.0
HP16T -------65.6

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I'm low time still, < 80 hours, but I've been able to get in a decent mix of planes:
172SP G1000
172SP Steamer
172RG
Cherokee 180
DA40

I'll be flying a PA12 for tailwheel training.

I am finishing up my CFI in a 172RG, but besides that, either a cirrus or 182RG for cross countries, Cherokee 180 if I am taking friends up and around Charlotte, or if I am lucky, our twin Comanche or Baron

I fly a floaty thingy......:hairraise:

182s-because it is the best plane I could ever have hoped for!
Proud owner x 1 month and 2 weeks. I'd sleep in the hangar if
my fiance' would let me:wink2:

1940 65 horsepower Aeronca Chief I am slowly perfecting.

:D

(Took the engine off today -- all new gaskets, valves checked, new ignition harness)

Today I flew a C205 for four hours.

2010 Cirrus SR20s -- CFI for Purdue teaching private, commercial, and basic instrument flying courses

2010 Embraer Phenom 100 -- SIC for Purdue

1984 Mooney M20K -- A friend's airplane which I borrow quite often and fly a lot in the summer

Citation CJ3 -- Right seat on occasion at work when there is an empty leg for maintenance or something similar

...you know, the usual. :)

What no home builders here?

Glasair Sportsman IO-390, AFS AF4500 EFIS, taildragger now. Lots of fun.

It's all for fun and adventure.

Started out renting various C-P-Ms then owned a Mooney F for 10 years. Now have a Jabiru J230 LSA. 2009 with all the bells and whistles.

Citabria because it's fun to fly. Added accidental bonus, my wife likes it too. For whatever reason, she feels more comfortable in the Citabria than riding right seat in a 172. She loves the visability, "her" space in the rear, and the "cool" factor of owning a taildragger. Moving into the fifth year of ownership and she still likes it.

Back