Phoenix Area Air Ports

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
We are looking in the valley area for a place to come for winters / vactions, ect. I've been to Chandler, Pegasus, Stellar. We will be buying a home sometime soon.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

I know it is hot in the summer.:D

Last edited:
I like Glendale Airport when I visit. Deer Valley Airport was too crowded with students the last time I went there. I haven't tried any others.

I've flown out of most of them (SDL, DVT, Glendale), never got to Chandler. DVT is heavy student training all the time, SDL is BizJets, used to be a training facility for Lufthansa (?). Glendale is great as long as you remember the west edge of the airport butts up against the air force base.

Also depends where you're going to be living and what's convenient for you. This is the first time I've really disliked the Denver cold (ok, so it lasted less than a week) but I kept asking myself - why did you sell your parents' house? Oh yeah - May, June, July, August,...

Casa Grande in the south has the best gas prices. I've also used Glendale, Deer Valley, Chandler and Scottsdale and agree with the above comments.

And yes it gets hot enough to melt the rubber of the rims in the summer but is really nice other times.

Joe

Chandler, Falcon and Goodyear are a little more low-key and comfortable for us reg'lar folks. For me, SDL is too "upper crust," DVT too busy, and GEU too hemmed in by special use airspace.

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway (IWA, the former Williams A.F.B.) is nice -- you can practice getting down & stopped on its three parallel 10,000x150 runways. But there are no hangars and no lightplane maintenance available.

We've looked at Pegasus and thought that would be a nice way to live, but it's still way far away from anything.

My son lives near the planned community of Verrado out on the west side. That's a nice community and whenever the Valley's economy revives it should grow rapidly. Verrado is about equidistant from the Goodyear and Buckeye airports -- the former tower-controlled and bustling, the latter uncontrolled and very quiet.

Last edited:
We have family in Sun City, so KGEU was the appropriate choice for our flight down there. The AFB being just to the West is no big deal at all, and their controllers are like most AFB's, top-notch and friendly.

Also have a friend down there who keeps his C-150 over at KDVT because there's some ****ing match going on about the hangars at KGEU, and they have ridiculous pricing on their sun cover "hangars".

I think a lot of private owners would happily move over to KGEU if the prices weren't almost double. Someone running that place has their head square up and locked, looking at the pricing he showed me vs. what he's paying over at KDVT.

It's not a situation where KDVT is "far out of town" or anything like that either, which typically means lower prices. KDVT is over-run with Chinese flight schools, and traffic. KGEU is nice and quiet, most days. And there's some collector there who's bought a bejillion older aircraft and they're all in various states of dis-assembly/re-assembly on the ramp, often not in hangars. Seems to be a continuation of this weird hangar-pricing thing they have going on, if you ask me.

There is one flight school on KGEU that caters to the Chinese students. They all need 10 hours of turbo-prop time before they go home, and there's a fleet... a big fleet... of King Airs parked over there that go in and out regularly.

The FBO at the northwest corner of the ramp is full of very nice folks, and they took good care of us (including bringing the rental car right out) while we were there. The only more attentive, helpful, service I've had from an FBO as a transient was at KHND.

I was tied down at Chandler for 4 days. Great people, good tower folks, a restaurant right on the field, very reasonable fuel prices. Stellar looks to be a great place to tie down also. Lots of homes with hangars and RV's so I should fit right in.

We sure love the weather now! 75F, winds light and variable, and I have not seen a cloud in 5 days!

If you're looking to becoming a snowbird, why stick with the big city? There are a LOT of airparks within a 80 mile radius of Phoenix. We're on an acre runway lot with a house & hangar on a paved lighted runway for 180K.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1
www.indianhillsairpark.com

i've used buckeye, goodyear, deer valley, chandler, and casa grande.
Buckeye is easy, low key, but kinda out there.
Goodyear is excellent, low key and good facilities.
DeerValley is busy, unfriendly and could care less if you go there or not.
Chandler is EXCELLENT. Great service, good facilities, easy going.
Casa Grande is a little out there, but they do have cheap gas.

Back