Height Disadvantage

Kirbhund

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kirbhund
I am a few hours away from my first solo...one of the biggest challenges I am dealing with is seeing out of the cockpit (over the coweling) and being able to fully use the rudder pedals...I am 5'6". Combinations of seat adjustments and cushions make it manageable, sort of, but not ideal. Also, I find myself so close to the firewall that it is difficult to pull very far back on the yoke...I am in a 1973 172.

Find out if pedal extensions are available. Then instead of a cushion, try something firmer. You want as stable platform for your body as you can get.

Some of the 172s I fly have height adjustments for the seat. Try that too, though it can be a PITA costantly adjusting and keeping a consistent sight picture. For that reason, unless it it your own plane, I'd recommend the booster and pedal extensions, both you can keep with you when you're not using the plane.

Thanks! The height adjustments on the seat don't quite cut it, the pedal extenders sound promising...do they make them specifically for the rudder pedals? Finding a firm cushion is difficult, the ones they sell for this purpose are not at all firm and lose their thickness pretty quickly..

Thanks! Wow those are pretty expensive! But, I may not have a choice...I am just not fitting this aircraft at all...are some aircraft trainers easier to see out of than the 172? I am short, but I have never felt this short before until I started to try to fly...it also seems they are making the newer aircraft for taller and taller people...which is ironic considering how little weight these small planes will actually safely carry...

Just put a thick pillow under your six. I am 5'7", and us use a pillow so I can see across the right hand window.

I'm 5'7" and can't completely see over the cowl of most airplanes I fly but have learned to deal with it. Peripheral vision cues are what I use during landing. You'll be better off if you ever do a tailwheel transition because you'll already be used to not being able to see **** in the flare.

I'm 5'4" and I remember having to use a cushion in single-engine Cessnas. I vaguely recall that some of the cushions they sell for boats are firmer and less likely to be compacted under your weight.

I'm 5'4" and I remember having to use a cushion in single-engine Cessnas. I vaguely recall that some of the cushions they sell for boats are firmer and less likely to be compacted under your weight.

The square floatation cushions they sell cheap aren't a bad idea, they won't compress and are a bit over 2" thick. The down side is your butt will go numb pretty quick. I'd give a shout over to Oregon Aero and see what they have or can custom make for you.

I'm 5'5" and had the same problem in one 172 that didn't have height adjustment. Someone gave me an Oregon Aero portable cushion, and it's very nice, except I just looked them up and they're about $200, I had no idea.

A 152 would probably fit you better.

Someone gave me an Oregon Aero portable cushion, and it's very nice, except I just looked them up and they're about $200, I had no idea.
Is that a certified cushion or something? :rofl:

I know someone who got a tempurpedic cushion that works well for him - it's pretty "solid" and comfy too - down side is it's $80.00 but it works well for him. I use a meditation cushion filled w/ buckwheat hulls and also some "platform" tennis shoes made by Volatile that I ordered online.... I'm 5'2" so I have had to figure out how to reach the pedals. The sneakers work well as pedal extenders that you wear... they look a little dorky but I'm 54 yrs old and pretty much don't care about that so much if I can use the rudders. It's especially important in my decathlon :)

I have a king-sized pillow that is folded double and shoved into a regular sized pillow cover. At first, it looked horribly high, but it squashed down pretty quick to exactly the right height. It isn't hard on my bottom and fills in the tired old sway-back seat nicely. Also, be sure the seat back is adjusted forward the correct amount. I have found that a blanket hung over the back of the seat pushes the top part of my body forward enough to see better without requiring my bottom to be pushed that far forward.

Be careful about getting those pedal extensions. You might end up being restricted to a specific airplane with them when you get your license.

You could always buy a parachute as well, they're worth a couple of inches and are even more cool than a pilot shirt with dork bars....

You could always buy a parachute as well, they're worth a couple of inches and are even more cool than a pilot shirt with dork bars....

Wow, you mean sitting on a parachute? Never thought of that...and might have some utility as a bonus!

Nah, the parachute will cost in useful load....and it freaks out the passengers.:hairraise:

Are there any other airplanes available? I think the Piper Cherokee series airplanes (incl. Warrior, Archer, etc) might be better for you - I have the opposite height problem, I'm too tall at 6'4" and I have tons of room in a Cessna, but in a Piper I have to have the seats far enough back to keep my legs out of the yoke that I have to lean forward to tune the radios. Also, the Piper instrument panels aren't as high as the Cessna ones, so should be easier for you to see over.

Are there any other airplanes available? I think the Piper Cherokee series airplanes (incl. Warrior, Archer, etc) might be better for you - I have the opposite height problem, I'm too tall at 6'4" and I have tons of room in a Cessna, but in a Piper I have to have the seats far enough back to keep my legs out of the yoke that I have to lean forward to tune the radios. Also, the Piper instrument panels aren't as high as the Cessna ones, so should be easier for you to see over.
I wish there were a Piper available to rent at my airport, the 172 is my only choice...but thanks for the info. I was wondering if there are planes that are better for height issues/visibility.

I'm 5'7" and can't completely see over the cowl of most airplanes I fly but have learned to deal with it. Peripheral vision cues are what I use during landing. You'll be better off if you ever do a tailwheel transition because you'll already be used to not being able to see **** in the flare.
Good point, my grandfather is 5'5" and flew all sorts of planes without cushions...he told me that seeing out is overrated! Another good point about the taildraggers.

I am a few hours away from my first solo...one of the biggest challenges I am dealing with is seeing out of the cockpit (over the coweling) and being able to fully use the rudder pedals...I am 5'6". Combinations of seat adjustments and cushions make it manageable, sort of, but not ideal. Also, I find myself so close to the firewall that it is difficult to pull very far back on the yoke...I am in a 1973 172.

5'6" isn't short. I think a lot of anxiety with this might be what student pilots aren't used to--seeing over the "cowling" of a car is so much easier. Also, most cars have seats that are somehow more adjustable than airplane seats, especially 70's Cessnas. I am 5'11", and I felt just like you do. No worries, it will get better!

LOL... amateur hour in the short and small department... every last one of you. Kirb... believe me, if you keep looking around for/thinking about a more workable solution in the airplane you fly now and later when you buy your own, you WILL be able to make it work. I wasn't able to find rudder pedal extentions that I liked, so I made my own. Also, the suggestion up there about trying on a 140, Warrior, Archer or Dakota is a good one. With the combination I use of an Oregon Aero seat cushion and my rudder pedal extentions, I have no trouble seeing over the glareshield of my Archer and getting the rudder pedals all the way to the floor on either side when required.

BTW, have fun on your first solo... it's an experience you will never forget! :)

Last edited:
5'6" isn't short. I think a lot of anxiety with this might be what student pilots aren't used to--seeing over the "cowling" of a car is so much easier. Also, most cars have seats that are somehow more adjustable than airplane seats, especially 70's Cessnas. I am 5'11", and I felt just like you do. No worries, it will get better!

I agree. You're just not used to the scene. I'm 5'7" and felt the same...like i couldn't see. I use a boat cushion. You'll get used to it.

I'm 5'3" and need some variation of cushions in everything I fly. In the Cessna 172 that I usually fly, I can't raise the seat up all the way, or I won't be able to reach the rudder pedals, so I put it up most of the way and sit all the way forward with a pillow behind my back.

I had a special cushion made for the back of the seat of the Citabria. It will slip over the back of the front seat or the back of the back seat, depending on which seat I'm in. When I have the backpack parachute on, I don't need the cushion behind me.

Trying to reach the rudder pedals in a Pitts or Extra requires pillows all over the place.

One of the challenges is getting far enough forward to reach the rudder pedals without impeding full back stick/yoke.

In the Texas Taildragger I used to own, I had a lot of cushions behind me and I was almost touching the panel when I flew. A lot of bruises (and lacerations) were from the forward impact when I hit the ditch.

Nah, the parachute will cost in useful load....and it freaks out the passengers.:hairraise:
:D It mainly freaks them out if you have one and they don't. :D

I figure 14 pounds for each parachute, so, you're right, it does cost you in weight. :yes:

Thanks for the encouraging words!!

LOL... amateur hour in the short and small department... every last one of you. Kirb... believe me, if you keep looking around for/thinking about a more workable solution in the airplane you fly now and later when you buy your own, you WILL be able to make it work. I wasn't able to find rudder pedal extentions that I liked, so I made my own. Also, the suggestion up there about trying on a 140, Warrior, Archer or Dakota is a good one. With the combination I use of an Oregon Aero seat cushion and my rudder pedal extentions, I have no trouble seeing over the glareshield of my Archer and getting the rudder pedals all the way to the floor on either side when required.

BTW, have fun on your first solo... it's an experience you will never forget! :)

Thanks Flygirl! great advice! I appreciate the encouragement! I fly out of KFES (Festus, MO) just south of STL, not too far from you I think. The weather has slowed my anticipated solo, but maybe this coming weekend I am hoping! Also, I am posting my progress on my blog if you care to check it out: www.climbureverest.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Yes, you are right, trying to get forward with full extension of the yoke has been a problem...I am originally from SW MO btw, live in STL now and fly out of KFES--Festus, MO.Thanks for the great advice and insight...

Ugggh... hated that song back then... still hate it now. :rolleyes2:

Thanks Flygirl! great advice! I appreciate the encouragement! I fly out of KFES (Festus, MO) just south of STL, not too far from you I think. The weather has slowed my anticipated solo, but maybe this coming weekend I am hoping! Also, I am posting my progress on my blog if you care to check it out: www.climbureverest.blogspot.com

Thanks for the link, Alan! :) This weekend is supposed to be better though... clear and a tropical heat wave compared to what we have been getting lately so I am hopeful for you! I was working on my private in December/January of 1997/8 and I know just how you feel about the weather being a problem for us private pilots getting off the ground. :incazzato:

I fly into KSUS (Spirit) a lot... my in-laws live in St. Peters, MO and Chesterfield is just a short distance away. I would be willing to bet that after you solo, Paul will take you there to practice flying to/departing a towered field, so have fun with that! :) And definitely let us know about your solo this weekend. I have a good feeling about it! :cheerswine:

Ugggh... hated that song back then... still hate it now. :rolleyes2:

Thanks for the link, Alan! :) This weekend is supposed to be better though... clear and a tropical heat wave compared to what we have been getting lately so I am hopeful for you! I was working on my private in December/January of 1997/8 and I know just how you feel about the weather being a problem for us private pilots getting off the ground. :incazzato:

I fly into KSUS (Spirit) a lot... my in-laws live in St. Peters, MO and Chesterfield is just a short distance away. I would be willing to bet that after you solo, Paul will take you there to practice flying to/departing a towered field, so have fun with that! :) And definitely let us know about your solo this weekend. I have a good feeling about it! :cheerswine:

Y'all don't forget to fly into Creve Couer now, some interesting airplanes and friendly people there.

If you can find someplace that rents out Piper Cherokees, it will probably fit you much better. I'm a tall guy, and could barely get my legs inside the plane (older hershey bar wing cherokee). A shorter person would probably fit the thing like a glove.

An update on Alan's visibility issues...he ended up switching to a Cherokee, and passed his checkride yesterday. Congratulations, Alan!!! :thumbsup:

A center stick with rudder and brake extentioins are available on any RV! ;)

When I first started flying, in a c-150, I had the same problem. One day I received a shipment of some delicate equipment and part of the packing was an inflated cushion(of sorts). It was pretty rugged and would hold my weight. So, you're ahead of me. And it worked very well - - - - - - - - - - - until.

I left it in the c-150, thinking others might be able to use it. One day I went to use it and recovering it from the back seat I saw that it was deflated via having been sliced.
???????????? It seems a CFI had taken someone for a flight. Passenger began feeling not well, and worse. For lack of a barf bag the CFI sliced the valveless cushion and said, "Here, use this."

My Skyhawk has the interpolating seat on the pilot side.

HR

Back