High Wing vs. Low Wing

Where do you prefer the wing?

• Total voters

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
For airplane drivers, a pointless little poll: do you prefer to fly high wing or low wing airplanes?

Yes. Both, even. Next topic? :)

I actually thought about adding a "both" option, but I also hate wafflers, though I do enjoy eating waffles.

(Good thing I didn't asked which was better! Just which one pilots prefer. :wink2:)

I actually thought about adding a "both" option, but I also hate wafflers, though I do enjoy eating waffles.

(Good thing I didn't asked which was better! Just which one pilots prefer. :wink2:)
How about biplanes? Should rotary wing and powered parachute go with high wing? :)

NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnimatedGIF-SmileyHittingSelfwBat.gif

How about biplanes? Should rotary wing and powered parachute go with high wing? :)

:dunno:

Pick your least favorite wing on a bi-plane and vote for the other one. :wink2:
Poll is about "airplanes" so the answer to the second question is "42".
Airship, gliders, and powered lift polls that way -->>
:D

:dunno:

Pick your least favorite wing on a bi-plane and vote for the other one. :wink2:
Poll is about "airplanes" so the answer to the second question is "42".
Airship, gliders, and powered lift polls that way -->>
:D
Well, if you're bringing in Adams, I'll bring in Python:
KEEPER: What is your favorite color?
GALAHAD: Blue. No yel-- Auuuuuuuugh!
Might as well have a poll about that! I suspect you were in a troublemaking mood with this poll. :)

I suspect you were in a troublemaking mood with this poll. :)

I have this d*mn technical document I have to complete and was having writer's block. While putzing about waiting for inspiration (or work ethic) to strike, the devil came along and made me start this poll. I suggest you blame society for yet another needless tragedy.

Sure Jim, blame it on the Devil. You just wanted to start trouble.

Extra has a low wing. It is below the pilot's eye level. There is no such thing as a mid-wing.

They both make pretty, almost identical, holes when spiraled into the ground so it doesn't matter.

Extra has a low wing. It is below the pilot's eye level. There is no such thing as a mid-wing.
Sorry, but per that bastion of research WikiPedia:
Types of monoplane

The main distinction between types of monoplane is where the wings attach to the fuselage:

• low-wing, the wing lower surface is level with (or below) the bottom of the fuselage
  • mid-wing, the wing is mounted mid-way up the fuselage
  • shoulder-wing, the wing is mounted above the fuselage middle
  • high-wing, the wing upper surface is level with or above the top of the fuselage
  • parasol-wing, the wing is located above the fuselage and is not directly connected to it, structural support being typically provided by a system of struts, and, especially in the case of older aircraft, wire bracing.

Sorry, but per that bastion of research WikiPedia:
How about a plane with a high wing, a low wing and a fuselage that contributes 30% to the overall lift (both upright and inverted)?

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 28
  • calander 08-3.jpg
    calander 08-3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 27
Now that we have all agreed that the plane cannot take off from the treadmill, right? :devil:

Naah. If you think the plane can't take off from the treadmill, you just get banned. I'm sure it's in the RoC somewhere... (and if it's not, it oughtta be! :D)

Naah. If you think the plane can't take off from the treadmill, you just get banned. I'm sure it's in the RoC somewhere... (and if it's not, it oughtta be! :D)

Well if it is a downhill treadmill then, yup, the plane will take off. If'n the treadmill is uphill then there's not a chance...and if the DA is over 5576.2 then the plane must be 11.25432% under max gross.

How about a plane with a high wing, a low wing and a fuselage that contributes 30% to the overall lift (both upright and inverted)?
Nice, but in what way is that a "monoplane"? But it's yet another example of the inadequacy of the poll! :)

That is not a half bad idea, Kent. I will bring it up with the MC next time we meet.:D

Depends on the mission, in general, I don't care, they all fly the same. The plane that met my mission and budget was a low wing, if I was going to spend more, I may have bought a high wing (AC-500 Shrike) or even more a mid wing Aerostar/Superstar 700. If I had a buttload of money I would have bought a shoulder wing A-26. If I'm flying into unimproved areas I'll take a high wing for damage aversion.

This poll needs a "no preference" third option. I really don't care where the wing is, though I'm partial to airplanes with two doors so most of the low-wing singles out there have a strike against them going in as far as I'm concerned.

But that notwithstanding, I was seriously looking at Mooneys before I found my Cardinal.

I like the Red Barons tri plane, I think it covers the parasol mid wing and low wing all in one. It's missing the shoulder wing though, I think.
I have a low wing thought, because:
I like looking up.
One door seal to worry about.
No wing struts.( to slow me down) I know, I know I could buy a 210
More solid ground effect. ( Imho)
No diamond scars in my forehead
Wider gear stance. (Cherokee vs. 172/182)
And cause they just look faster:thumbsup:
Can you imagine a P-51 with a parasol or a high wing, pa- leeeeze.
OK then you started this -----again:goofy:

Nice, but in what way is that a "monoplane"? But it's yet another example of the inadequacy of the poll! :)

The OP asked "high wing or low wing airplane"...in lieu of a "both" answer I submit my biplane.:ihih:

I didn't see the word monoplane anywhere (except by inference). I don't trust monoplanes...not enough parts on the airframe. Not partial to split-tailed Bo's either for the same reason...:goofy:

Chris
from snowy icy SHV

Put me firmly in the low wing camp. As my instructor put it, "Where would you rather be, sitting on top of the truck bed or hanging underneath of it."

There seems to be more than a few naysayers as to the topic of this thread. I'm thinking perhaps it is because no one seems to take this subject seriously. Perhaps if more of us would make some honest, in depth, contributions about the issue, more would come on board.

Myself, I like low wing for several reasons, I own one, and they are much better.

John

High wing, because the wings clear obstacles like snowbanks and brush and airport signs and docks (when on floats) and so on. The airframe of a strut-braced high wing is simpler and lighter than any cantilevered setup, and weight in any airplane hurts its performance and can make a real dog of it.

Dan

High wing, because the wings clear obstacles like snowbanks and brush and airport signs and docks (when on floats) and so on. The airframe of a strut-braced high wing is simpler and lighter than any cantilevered setup, and weight in any airplane hurts its performance and can make a real dog of it.

Dan

Then why do you have a low wing in your avatar?

I like the way high wings let you see in the pattern better. I just like how the handle. I trained in Cessnas then flew a Piper and I was sold. Had a Cherokee then 10 years ago bought the Tiger. So I put my money were my mouth is. :D

There seems to be more than a few naysayers as to the topic of this thread. I'm thinking perhaps it is because no one seems to take this subject seriously. Perhaps if more of us would make some honest, in depth, contributions about the issue, more would come on board.

Myself, I like low wing for several reasons, I own one, and they are much better.

John

I'm fortunate enough to have a hangar. The high wing allows a man cave.

High wing, but not a big pref. I just appreciate the reduced fear of striking the tip on x-wind landings. x-wind landings are scary in low wings.

Back