renting in Palo Alto

Say what again? The airport is on the IKEA side of the 101, is it not? They actually changed pattern rules at PAO because locals were taking potshots at airplanes (there was some fake reason given, like noise abatement or something). In late 1990s the town took the crown in murders per capita from Oakland for a year or two. Of course Oakland weren't one to lose for long, but nonetheless... Is the whole area razed and gentrified now?

I don't know where the IKEA is, but yes, I do have to cross 101 to get to it. It's a bit of a long walk, but none of it was through neighborhoods that I bothered me. Living in New Haven might skew my view of things somewhat, but nowhere did it even occur to me to be concerned for my security. From what I understand, East Palo Alto has improved a great deal in the past decade.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SF_resize.JPG
    SF_resize.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 60
Oh nice, they're still plugging at that bridge. Also, I see someone is not afraid of Class B.

Oh nice, they're still plugging at that bridge. Also, I see someone is not afraid of Class B.

Yes they are, and no, not in the slightest.:D Though I was in class E airspace at that particular moment.

Also, I see someone is not afraid of Class B.

Norcal Approach is AWESOME about letting people play around in the SFO airspace for the "Bay Tour." If you know the area (they will say things like "Remain west of the 101") it's a great first exposure to class B.

Norcal Approach is AWESOME about letting people play around in the SFO airspace for the "Bay Tour." If you know the area (they will say things like "Remain west of the 101") it's a great first exposure to class B.

Lately they've been denying Bay Tours (over SFO) after the close encounter last year-ish :(

Lately they've been denying Bay Tours (over SFO) after the close encounter last year-ish :(

Yeah, Palo Alto told us they weren't allowing bay tours, so we went across the Bay, through Haward's airspace, Okaland's, then across to San Fransisco, over the bridge, then through the Bravo, straight over SFO (and a landing 777 - so cool!) and then back to PAO.

Another way to get to the north bay, which often works in winter because of the weather patterns here, is to fly off the Pacific shoreline below the class B. There's only a short stretch where you might have trouble finding a survivable emergency landing site.

Going over the top of the class B is a nice sightseeing flight too, and you don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to. It's fun because you can fly routes that you wouldn't ordinarily get. I did monitor the frequency and tried not to interfere with SFO's STARs. At one point I heard some fairly bitter complaining about a military plane that was maneuvering near a STAR without talking to anyone. (I double checked my position relative to the STAR they were talking about, although I figured there wasn't much chance of the plane I was in being mistaken for military!)

I am based at class C field, which really is a village by comparison w/ SFO, and the approach control sometimes complain about airplanes squeezing under the outer area. Then they ask airliner crews to look out for the traffic in a worried tones, despite the large altitude difference. I heard about people going under B all the time back when I lived in SFBA (I did not fly myself back then), and nobody was concerned apparently.

I am based at class C field, which really is a village by comparison w/ SFO, and the approach control sometimes complain about airplanes squeezing under the outer area. Then they ask airliner crews to look out for the traffic in a worried tones, despite the large altitude difference. I heard about people going under B all the time back when I lived in SFBA (I did not fly myself back then), and nobody was concerned apparently.

There are so many GA airports under the class B, I am sure they're used to it.

Hi Chris.

Flying from Petaluma, I feel that I've done the Bay Tour about 10 times but I'm sure it is only a handful. I pick up flight following (though not required) around San Quentin / Richmond San Rafael Bridge and state my request and intentions. They always say to stay clear of the Bravo and sometimes Charlie - or they'll say to stay North and West of the Bay Bridge. Not once have I been "denied" and in fact a few weekends ago in the 172 they warned me of "traffic - 8 planes around the arches - suggest 2500". I love the Nor Cal Approach controllers and have never had a problem.

Back