Kindle type device info?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
My wife really likes to read and has expressed a desire for a Kindle like device and as much as I think that Valentines day is a total horse droppings, Hallmark, Avoid restaurants like the plauge holiday I'm thinking about getting here one or something like it. I'm not really up on all these tablet devices, Kindle, Nook, and probably a zillion others. She is not technologically saavy but I can figure out how stuff works.

Soooo any recomendations as to one product or the other or why? Does one have better batterylife, Quicker charging, easier to download books? Readable in the sun on the beach??? I also don't want to spend crazy $$ .BTW how do you back these things up so you don't loose what you purchase? Flash Drive?

Kindle is great for book readers. Good interface, terrific battery life. Not color, so not so great for magazine readers. My mom has it and it requires no tech support from me which is a HUGE endorsement.

PC and smartphone software too for free.

My wife really likes to read and has expressed a desire for a Kindle like device and as much as I think that Valentines day is a total horse droppings, Hallmark, Avoid restaurants like the plauge holiday I'm thinking about getting here one or something like it. I'm not really up on all these tablet devices, Kindle, Nook, and probably a zillion others. She is not technologically saavy but I can figure out how stuff works.

Soooo any recomendations as to one product or the other or why? Does one have better batterylife, Quicker charging, easier to download books? Readable in the sun on the beach??? I also don't want to spend crazy $$ .BTW how do you back these things up so you don't loose what you purchase? Flash Drive?
I've got a Kindle, and like it. It's basically readable in the same circumstances a print book is...you can't read in the dark (like you can with an LCD-screen tablet) but there are no screen glare problems so you can sit outside with it as well. Other readers, like the Nook, have this "E-Ink" feature.

If you turn off the wi-fi, the battery seems to last forever. I read an hour or two every night, and charge it every two to three weeks. I've never taken it down far enough to get the battery warning. When I've plugged it it, it seems to be back at 100% in an hour or so (I haven't had it below ~33%, though). One cool thing is that the E-ink books only use power when you push a button, like to turn a page.

The one complaint you'll get about some readers is slow page turning. This seems to be dependent upon the book itself. My Kindle was nice and quick, but one recent book (a Project Gutenberg freebie) really seemed to bog it down.

Operation is pretty straightforward. I got the Kindle 3 with 3G, and it worked right out of the box. I helped my sister-in-law set up hers with just straight wi-fit; a bit more work to get the MAC registered with the local wireless server.

I waffled over the standard Kindle and the Kindle DX (the big one). In retrospect, I think I'm happier with the smaller one. It tucks quite nicely into pockets...I have a rain jacket with an external zipper pocket that could have been MADE for it. The DX, like the tablets, is a bit larger and takes a bit more management.

The cool thing is, there are a lot of free books available in most e-reader (and tablet) formats. I especially like Baen Books, they've got a ton of free SF novels, by current authors. I have bought a number of books via Amazon, they make it (all too) painless.

The Kindle 3 has some "experimental" features. It does include a web browser, for instance. When we lost power for a couple of days, I used my 3G Kindle to keep updated on the news.

I don't have "brand loyalty" to the point where I'd tell you to get a Kindle over a Nook. They're probably pretty equal. I'll probably get a tablet some day for other reasons, but I've generally been dismayed with the amount of screen reflections (I *am* picky about this sort of thing, though). The E-ink systems are probably the closest equivalent to a print copy.

How do you use the browser? I haven't played with my Kindle all that much yet. I've DLd a lot of free books, and have uploaded PDFs to it, but that is it.

My wife has a Nook. Its great. You can read books for free at any Barnes and Noble location, you can trade books with others for free, and the device is cheaper than the Kindle.

It also supports epub format, which the Kindle does not (as far as I know). That's going to be the standard of e-books, so its a good idea to get a device that handles them soon.

I'm a reader and have had a Kindle since November 30th.

I love it and read more with it (less time wasted: "Where's the Washington Biography I left on the nightstand..?")

I got my wife a Kindle for Christmas. Lack of color limits what you can read somewhat but for black and white books it's great.

I agree with Tim, it being easy enough for her to use without tech support and that is a big endorsement.

Joe

attachment.php

I saw a Nook Color recently. Pretty nice looking.

But it's not an
attachment.php

:D

Attachments

• male31-male-smiley-whistle-smiley-emoticon-000073-design.gif
    male31-male-smiley-whistle-smiley-emoticon-000073-design.gif
    5 KB · Views: 113
  • cover-mouth.png
    cover-mouth.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 114
A buddy handed me his the other day to read a bit on, and I must say, reading on it is a lot easier on the eyes than a laptop...

The price point on the Kindle is 139 (wifi) which pretty much makes it a "well I don't even really need it but I may as well buy it" price.

The price point on the Kindle is 139 (wifi) which pretty much makes it a "well I don't even really need it but I may as well buy it" price.

Very true -- couple that with significant savings on books and the thing pays for itself in a few months (or weeks, if you buy big, expensive history hardcovers :D)

I have the 3G version and it is neat to be able to connect from virtually anywhere (browsed the Kindle store last weekend driving back from Lancaster)

Very true -- couple that with significant savings on books and the thing pays for itself in a few months (or weeks, if you buy big, expensive history hardcovers :D)

I have the 3G version and it is neat to be able to connect from virtually anywhere (browsed the Kindle store last weekend driving back from Lancaster)

You're supposed to be paying attention to the road....:incazzato::incazzato::wink2:

There are oodles of free books out there. I have 60 on my kindle right now. Figure 5-10 bucks a book had I bought them (mostly classics) and there you go.

I have the 3G version and it is neat to be able to connect from virtually anywhere (browsed the Kindle store last weekend riding back from Lancaster)

Fixed that for ya

Aren't the downloads for the new releases pretty expensive?

Aren't the downloads for the new releases pretty expensive?

From what I can tell, they are a little cheaper than buying the actual book - a few dollars. However, for me, it would have to be A LOT cheaper for me to want to get the Kindle version over the book - so far anyway.

Hence filling up on freebies.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, they are a little cheaper than buying the actual book - a few dollars. However, for me, it would have to be A LOT cheaper for me to want to get the Kindle version over the book - so far anyway.

Hence filling up on freebies.

The new books used to be a substantial amount less-costly than the paper books (as they should be, because you are in essence licensing the book to read, and not securing a permanent copy which you can keep and, for example, loan to others), but there was litigation not too long after the Kindle's release which caused Kindle book pricing to be increased to something fairly close to physical book pricing.

Still has not stopped us from buying books though. It is especially handy when you are on the road, change in plans, whatever, and want to get something new to read. We love our Kindle.

Tommy got a Nook for Christmas, seems to like it, but I have not played with it yet, so no comparisons from me yet.

How do you use the browser? I haven't played with my Kindle all that much yet. I've DLd a lot of free books, and have uploaded PDFs to it, but that is it.
Assuming Kindle 3: Press the "Home" button, press the "Menu" button, and scroll down to "Experimental." Hit "Web Browser" and you're there...

It also has the two other experimental features, the MP3 player and the "text to voice" function. The MP3 player works, but of course a typical MP3 file is going to take far more space than an entire book. Text to voice works, too, but it's a typical artificial-sounding thing.

Ron Wanttaja

I'm really happy with my Kindle. DL'd most of the free classic's. Read Christmas Carol & Wizard of Oz yesterday. I usually have four or five books going at one time, and the Kindle is perfect for this, especially when I'm traveling on the bike.
Spouse talked me into getting the 'big screen' model. I stuck all the maintenance manuals for the various motorcycles on it. Pictures are clear and easy to see, and in the manuals, they're b&w anyway, so no color is no problem.

The new books used to be a substantial amount less-costly than the paper books (as they should be, because you are in essence licensing the book to read, and not securing a permanent copy which you can keep and, for example, loan to others), but there was litigation not too long after the Kindle's release which caused Kindle book pricing to be increased to something fairly close to physical book pricing.

Still has not stopped us from buying books though. It is especially handy when you are on the road, change in plans, whatever, and want to get something new to read. We love our Kindle.

Tommy got a Nook for Christmas, seems to like it, but I have not played with it yet, so no comparisons from me yet.

Interesting.. I'd like to know more. Why?

Another thing: I went to the National Gallery of Art today. I DLd a few PDFs from their site which had information about artwork to see. Had I more time, I would have actually DLd info from wiki (or the like) about said artwork and then while there read about the paintings.

I think in the above case, specifically, an iPAD would have been better though. Color, bigger screen (less scrolling) and backlit means you can read it in the dim-mish museum rooms.

Does the 3G version really make that much of a difference over just the one with WiFi?

Does the 3G version really make that much of a difference over just the one with WiFi?

Yep.

With the 3G, there's no need to ever connect it to a computer to get content. You just connect to the store (it's on Verizon's network), shop, click "Buy," and in about 15 seconds, you got yo' book.

No data charges.

Yep.

With the 3G, there's no need to ever connect it to a computer to get content. You just connect to the store (it's on Verizon's network), shop, click "Buy," and in about 15 seconds, you got yo' book.

No data charges.

True -- unless you already have Wifi at home and don't plan to travel with the Kindle. I asked for a non-3G one but am glad they got it.

:D

It would personally be worth the extra ~$50 to me, in retrospect, but the stock WiFi version would work for me, too...I do most of my shopping at home, where I could just use the home wireless network.

However, if you're planning on traveling at lot with it, I'd spring for the 3G. Makes things SO much easier....

Ron Wanttaja

It would personally be worth the extra ~$50 to me, in retrospect, but the stock WiFi version would work for me, too...I do most of my shopping at home, where I could just use the home wireless network.

However, if you're planning on traveling at lot with it, I'd spring for the 3G. Makes things SO much easier....

Ron Wanttaja

Had I known about the primitive browser... I would have gotten the 3G as well because the no roaming charges sounds fantastic.

My choice was the Nook, for many of the reasons that Nick mentioned. The local presence of B&N is good, too. B&N lets you use gift cards (purchase in-store) with the Nook, easy gift for people to get.... use the gift cards locally or online. B&N has recently released a color Nook.

I saw no need to do 3G. I have an Android phone that can work as a mobile hot-spot, and I have wifi installed in the house. And there are some open hot-spot locations that will work without having to pay. I've not needed the Android wifi system. YMMV.

I have always been a book purist. One of my prized possessions is a 1911 hardback copy of The Count of Monte Cristo.

I got a Kindle for Christmas. My first download was, of course, a free copy of the Count of Monte Cristo (along with about 15 other free classics).

I like it far more than I expected I would. It makes it very easy to pick up a book and read for short snippets. It's easy on the eyes. It's easy to carry around.

I like it far more than I expected I would. It makes it very easy to pick up a book and read for short snippets. It's easy on the eyes. It's easy to carry around.

And smaller/lighter for those occasions where you have to cram into the crowded metal mailing tube with 200 of your closest travelers.

And smaller/lighter for those occasions where you have to cram into the crowded metal mailing tube with 200 of your closest travelers.
I also noticed that it fits neatly into the book holder on my recumbent exercise bike whereas a book that is much thicker than about 3/4" won't.

I also noticed that it fits neatly into the book holder on my recumbent exercise bike whereas a book that is much thicker than about 3/4" won't.

I don't understand how anyone can read while on the exercise bike. I sure can't - I lose concentration.....

I don't understand how anyone can read while on the exercise bike. I sure can't - I lose concentration.....
Riding an exercise bike is so distracting? Keep in mind that I'm not the hard-driving type that spends every ounce of concentration on my performance. I take a relaxed approach to exercising. :D

Anyone still looking for a Nook? 1saleaday has a refurb model for $80

https://1saleaday.com/

I've purchased one thing from them (a real cheap copy of iWork) and it arrived no problem and was the real thing. Use an email address you don't mind getting additional "advertisements" from, though...

It used to be (up to about a year ago) that anyone technically inclined bought Sony reader. It's the same screen as early Kindle, but lighter, much better design (e.g. can hold in one hand for real and flip pages), and most importantly - a solid PDF application that worked. Kindle was for the free cellphone deal, but otherwise it was pretty terrible.

However, with the new slim Kindles and software updates they provide a stiff competition to Sony. You get the same features, passable design, keyboard - for 1/2 of the price. Unless Sony do something, they are done for.

Nook initially was for people who did not know better. The software was horrendous, especially compared to Sony. It may be improving gradually.

And finally, there's iPad or android tablets with readers. So far I am not too impressed with those, due to LCD screen. But they have a lot of CPU power to play with, and they are full application platforms. It's a whole new world though. iPad is 5 times as expensive as Kindle. It's like we're arguing if Cherokee or Musketeer is a better buy then someone says that his King Air is better than either of those. Well, daa.

The Kindle is cheap but wait til you start getting the download fees on your credit card bill; O.M.G.

The Kindle is cheap but wait til you start getting the download fees on your credit card bill; O.M.G.
But how fast can you read books? Not as fast as you can have dinner, and a $10 dinner is cheap!

I've recently been converting my hotel points to Amazon gift cards to get around that problem anyway.

But how fast can you read books? Not as fast as you can have dinner, and a $10 dinner is cheap!

Yes but how many dinners can one have in a week? Apparently some can go through books about 2x that fast!

Back