Phoenix Places To See

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
We decided to head over to Phoenix area due to weather. Any sites that we should not miss while we are in the Scottsdale, Chandler, Gilbert area?

Chandler has a huge GA friendly airport, very busy with a nice resturant right on the field, open til 2PM. Anyone hangar there?

Numerous hiking trails that are pretty neat,also some airplane boneyards.

The Firefighting museum near KPHX is pretty nifty. "Hall of Flame" I believe it's called. And there's a town a way north of PHX that has a cowboy museum. Neat artwork. I can't recall the name of, right now.

Wife and I flew into KGEU though, other side of town. Family lives in Sun City.

http://www.ci.glendale.az.us/Airport/documents/Pilot-Info.pdf

KDVT (Deer Valley) is wicked busy on the north side of town... keep an eye out around there for massive amounts of student activity. There's a number of flight schools catering to Chinese students there.

That's true all over PHX, but DVT is the epicenter of the activity by far. Number 8 to land is common there, I hear. And the pattern is full of folks struggling with English... it can be hair-raising.

I transitioned their airspace well above pattern altitude VFR talking to them, on the way out of PHX, and wish I'd just have gone around it... and I don't mind talkin' on the radio to anyone... Vegas, Los Angeles, whatever's busy... but those didn't even come close to comparison to the frequency congestion overflying KDVT on the way out of PHX on a weekday morning.

Generally the PHX Class B was good to work with, but coming from the north I was talking to Center from clear back over Colorado and New Mexico doing Flight Following, and as we got in closer to PHX, over the ridgelines to the north, they wanted us lower ASAP on the way in.

They had an IFR C-210 3000' above us in the clouds that had slowly crept up on us from behind, same route, all the way down, basically matching our speed in the descent -- or close enough to it that the controller was having difficulty figuring out how to get him down for his approach to some airport on the north side, while letting us scoot past him over the KDVT area over to KGEU.

Once he got a lower altitude that got him out of the clouds overhead, my "traffic in sight" call helped the nice controller out immensely, of course...

Hope you enjoy your trip down there. If you're from anywhere cold, you'll get a kick out of them wearing parkas and looking like they're freezing to death when it gets below 70F. I've sat outside and had dinner at the outdoor mexican food places with margarita in-hand on 60F nights there (they crank up those giant propane heaters! Ha!) in shirt-sleeved comfort, while giggling at the locals hiding under the heat lamps and looking like skiiers in the Rockies huddled for warmth! :D

If you have a car and are not looking for aviation themes:

I enjoyed the botanical gardens there, lots of cacti and other desert flora I've never seen.

Then there's the Pinnacle Peak Restaurant (I'm pretty sure it's still open) with Cowboy food. Big steaks, beans, salad, corn for reasonable price. If you walk in wearing a tie a waitress comes up behind you and cuts it off with scissors and nails it to the ceiling. If you order your steak well-done they bring you an old cowboy boot and ask if you'd like something else. It works for me because two of the things I like the least in this world are ties and well-done steaks.

Joe

The "boneyard" is much further south in Tucson.
If you're into Native American art, there are superb galleries in the area.
Sedona is a nice drive if the weather isn't flyable.
Expensive shopping and typical malls in Scottsburg (what us locals call Scottsdale - well, I'm not a local anymore so I better call it Scottsdale...)
Pick up a Sunday paper and see what's going on.
Drive to Tempe and take a look at Gammage Auditorium. If you're in Scottsdale, just keep taking the main road south, you can't miss it. It's one of the last buildings Frank Lloyd Wright designed. In fact, there are a number of FLW buildings in the state. It's an incredible facilty. I don't know if there are tours, but there's three galleries open to the public.
Scottsdale airport (KSDL) used to be a major training center for Lufthansa, don't know if it still is. It really doesn't like us spamcans all that much.
Got a car? Drive out to Apache Junction (which is now considered in town the area's grown so much) and keep going to find the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine.

Pinnacle Peak is "way north" from Chandler, but with a car and not being on the 101 during peak traffic, it's doable. North on the 101, follow the curve west, hang a right at Scottsdale road, you'll see it a couple miles north. We'd take the relatives from back east whenever they came in (usually Jan - March for 2-3 months to get out of the Buffalo, NY weather).

It's a tourist thing. Personally, there are much better restaurants in Tempe & Scottsdale unless you really want to take the drive.

I vaguely remember hiking up the Pinnacle Peak trail. We also went to an outdoor Cowboy/Biker bar/restaurant which I'm pretty sure was this one.

http://greasewoodflat.net/

I'm not sure what the temperatures are like down there right now but all the seating was outdoor.

I enjoyed the botanical gardens there, lots of cacti and other desert flora I've never seen.

Joe

We loved the Desert Botanical Gardens, stayed there 4 hours! That place is amazing if you like catus and plants. A MUST see!

Thanks for all the tips! Keep them coming! We are headed to Sondona today for a nice drive.

We are from Nebraska so this is like heaven! Just might move here!

Last edited:
Frank Lloyd Wright's house has already been mentioned.
I drove north a bit and did my first soaring at Turf Soaring School.
We also rented a T182T at Deer Valley and flew up to the Grand Canyon, overflying Meteor Crater on the way back.

Commerative Air Force at Falcon Field FFZ (Decent Italian on field too).
Boyce Thompson Arboretum southeast toward Superior
Saint Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery - sse toware Florence.

Frank Lloyd Wright's house has already been mentioned.

Change of plans and we went to his house. Amazing man!

Sodona in the AM, and the train ride to the canyon!

We heard on the weather the rest of the country is having bad weather. Sure is nice here! 72 today, 80f by the weekend.

Last edited:
Change of plans and we went to his house. Amazing man!

Sodona in the AM, and the train ride to the canyon!

We heard on the weather the rest of the country is having bad weather. Sure is nice here! 72 today, 80f by the weekend.

Yup - Phoenix and Tucson and such is fantastic right now. Just wait until May, June, July, August....

Back