POA Roll-Call, Airventure 2011

Tony, we REALLY need to work on getting you out of that cubicle. :frown2:

if only i was a trust fund baby. then i'd probably just spend oshkosh week in my glider somewhere.

My son and I will arrive on Wednesday and leave on Sunday morning. We plan to fly the Bonanza and park in the Vintage section. The night show on Saturday was too good last year to pass up again. We plan to camp with friends in Waupaca, WI and drive back and forth to the show.

John

Have you thought about working for EAA? :D

well i don't think i'm qualified to be VP of HR. That's the only opening they show. Maybe I need to convince them to fund some "atmospheric research" in experimental sailplanes. :D

Our group now has all of our camping/party gear pre-positioned in a trailer (that I own, but have never seen) near OSH, so all we've got to do is jump in Atlas and GO!

Of course, we will have to find and train someone to run the motel again. We pulled that rabbit out of our, er, hat in '10 -- dunno if we can do it again. But we are sure gonna try! Can't break the chain now...

We've decided to make a week of it, and I have the plane from 8am Saturday the 23rd til 9pm Sunday the 31st! Weather permitting, we'll be pitching a tent in the north 40 on Saturday afternoon. Another friend is flying into Minneapolis from Florida on Sunday, so I might get to do the same favor for him that Kent did for me, and fly down to MWC and give him the "official arrival experience".

Flying the Lancair into a nearby airport. Will be working a booth supporting a product launch.

First time ever going to OSH...and it's likely that I won't see a single aircraft display *face palm*

I'll see if we can't get some signage encouraging blue/red/purple boarders to identify themselves for VIP treatment :)

Last edited:
I'll probably only get a couple days. If all goes according to plan I'll have my brother in tow.

Flying the Lancair into a nearby airport. Will be working a booth supporting a product launch.

First time ever going to OSH...and it's likely that I won't see a single aircraft display *face palm*

I'll see if we can't get some signage encouraging blue/red/purple boarders to identify themselves for VIP treatment :)

Keith,

The booths are 8 to 5... But the experience is 24x7! There'll be an hour of airshow remaining after you close up shop for the day, and most of the airplanes can still be seen whenever the sun's still up. There just won't be anyone to talk to about them. ;)

Enjoy!

If I can get my IR done by then I might do it this year. I wouldn't be flying into OSH itself, but to a nearby field, either ATW or even GRB, and renting a car.

Make sure you let us know what booth you're working!

Keith,

The booths are 8 to 5... But the experience is 24x7! There'll be an hour of airshow remaining after you close up shop for the day, and most of the airplanes can still be seen whenever the sun's still up. There just won't be anyone to talk to about them. ;)

I figured there might be some fun to be had in the evenings, but I didn't know there'd still be an hour of show left, awesome!

I'll be at the Precision Flight Controls booth supporting the PilotEdge demonstrations (they're going to have 3 sims running for people to fly).

I figured there might be some fun to be had in the evenings, but I didn't know there'd still be an hour of show left, awesome!

I'll be at the Precision Flight Controls booth supporting the PilotEdge demonstrations (they're going to have 3 sims running for people to fly).

In the evening after the airshow is when you can REALLY drool over airplanes - all the local townfolk head home. Of course, the exhibitors have locked up shop, so you can't sit in the fancy new planes, but you can get a close look without having to wait in line.

OR... You can watch the BEST airshow by setting up a chair next to the flightline and watch the arrivals and departures in the 1-2hrs that the field is open after the show.

In the evening after the airshow is when you can REALLY drool over airplanes - all the local townfolk head home. Of course, the exhibitors have locked up shop, so you can't sit in the fancy new planes, but you can get a close look without having to wait in line.

OR... You can watch the BEST airshow by setting up a chair next to the flightline and watch the arrivals and departures in the 1-2hrs that the field is open after the show.

THAT is the best airshow to be had anywhere on Earth, and half the reason I go to Oshkosh year after year.

THAT is the best airshow to be had anywhere on Earth, and half the reason I go to Oshkosh year after year.

You ain't kidding. And watching from a shady spot with a beer in your hand makes it even better.

You ain't kidding. And watching from a shady spot with a beer in your hand makes it even better.

You bet. One of the reasons I camp with the airplane every year. Well, until this year, that is.

OK my plans are a little firmer - just bought my Scholler pass. I'll be arriving on Monday (25th) and staying through Sunday. If folks are camping in a compound earlier (hint hint Grant) I'd appreciate you staking out a spot for me. I'll be happy to do the same for folks arriving later. I think I'll be towing a tiny trailer so I'll have more room for camping gear.

OK my plans are a little firmer - just bought my Scholler pass. I'll be arriving on Monday (25th) and staying through Sunday. If folks are camping in a compound earlier (hint hint Grant) I'd appreciate you staking out a spot for me. I'll be happy to do the same for folks arriving later. I think I'll be towing a tiny trailer so I'll have more room for camping gear.
We haven't bought any of our stuff for AirVenture yet. We need to coordinate with the MIL, because she'll be camping with us. Presuming we get there before you, we'll do the same thing we did in 2009 and stake out some space.

Both of these statements are very true. The warbirds area is particularly gorgeous after the show. The sun is low in the west, the crowds are largely gone, and the light is incredibly warm. The Antique/Classic area can be nice too, but the trees block the golden light earlier in the evening, so the photo opportunities are not as good.

And after shooting a bunch of pictures, you just walk to the beer/brat place under the balloon just outside the EAA Museum. Best prices and best food anywhere within walking distance of the field, IMO.

I'll be sleeping in a bed in a house.

I'll be sleeping in a bed in a house.

Wimp. ;)

Personally, I don't think you get the true Airventure experience without camping, be it with your airplane or in Scholler. Complete, 24x7 aviation immersion! Eating, drinking, and being merry with other pilots, going to sleep with the smell of 100LL on the wind, and waking up to the roar of three wooden props spinning at 3000 RPM when the Trimotor takes off at 7 AM. Heaven!

I'm going to try again this year. The last few haven't worked out too well. Camping under water ain't my idea of a good time. :nonod: Hope to meet up with the campers in the nort' 40 :D I gotta figure out where to get a camping bike though.

Ill be "camping" in my house, 15 minutes South of the Field. :goofy:

If the weather gets really bad, Ill have room for a few.

I'm going to try again this year. The last few haven't worked out too well. Camping under water ain't my idea of a good time. :nonod: Hope to meet up with the campers in the nort' 40 :D I gotta figure out where to get a camping bike though.

The hot ticket for a bike is to go over the salvation army store just outside the north 40 gate. They stock up on cheap ( 20.00 ) bikes. You buy the bike at the start of the week for 20.00 and if you reutrn it at the end of the week you can get a 10.00 donation voucher for your taxes. A lot of bikes just get abandoned on the grounds as people don't want to bother. I'm part of a group that has a big gathering every year and we rent a storage locker and we have stocked up on the abandoned bikes so we're covered.

I should be attending as well. Still looking for others who wish to depart from KLOM.

I should be attending as well. Still looking for others who wish to depart from KLOM.

How about IPT? It's on the way. I've thought about flying in for some time but would rather do it with anouther pilot.

The hot ticket for a bike is to go over the salvation army store just outside the north 40 gate. They stock up on cheap ( 20.00 ) bikes. You buy the bike at the start of the week for 20.00 and if you reutrn it at the end of the week you can get a 10.00 donation voucher for your taxes. A lot of bikes just get abandoned on the grounds as people don't want to bother. I'm part of a group that has a big gathering every year and we rent a storage locker and we have stocked up on the abandoned bikes so we're covered.

Save bike for me, I'll even pay in advance in case I can't make it. I never know when I'll show up.

Save bike for me, I'll even pay in advance in case I can't make it. I never know when I'll show up.

Where are you allowed to use the bike? Just on the camping side, right? I used the trams to get from North 40 to the gates / exhibit side, and everybody (except Kent, who had a media pass and a cart) :rofl: was walking after that.

Just kidding about Kent (mostly he walked, too). Just used the cart when necessary to move equipment, and I bummed a ride when that coincided with where I needed to be. :yes:

If you take the wheels off a regular bike will fit in an archer.

I'll be there. I'll be wearing a bright pink shirt most of the time.

If anyone is going in the first couple days, and is willing to stop at KBQR (Buffalo-Lancaster) I'll chip in for gas, fuel is reasonable at BQR.

Anyone remember the airport that's midway between DEN and OSH that was serving free lunches? I can't remember the town or the identifier.

Anyone remember the airport that's midway between DEN and OSH that was serving free lunches? I can't remember the town or the identifier.
Dubuque, Iowa, DBQ, has also offered lunch a few years. Not in the specified location however.

Back