FAQ for other site names?

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
From all the "secrecy" surrounding other forum names, it's confusing to newcomers as to what they actually are.

Understandably, PoA doesn't want to have folks "advertising" other Internet places, or perhaps they're hiding the names when they say something disparaging about the other sites out of courtesy, etc.

But it seems like a separate FAQ listing here of what a "red board", "purple board", etc. is... Would be appropriate to avoid having to ask in individual threads. (Or just feel stupid.)

"A list of commonly used terms", so to speak. With a description of the reasons folks use these pseudonymns instead of the actual site name. (For those wondering, "Is it a rule? Or just a social norm here on PoA? Or just polite for some reason?"

Wouldn't have to actually link to them or anything... I do understand the dilemma...

Thanks for your consideration.

The colors are based on the basic color scheme of the site.

• "Red" = AOPA's wild, wild west populated with just enough angry mutants to make it Not Fun.
  • "Purple" = another privately owned forum with a select few High Priests who disdain anyone who doesn't share their lard-a$$ ways of sitting on the computer as opposed to actually working and flying.
Hope this helps. :D

• "Red" = AOPA's wild, wild west populated with just enough angry mutants to make it Not Fun.
  • "Purple" = another privately owned forum with a select few High Priests who disdain anyone who doesn't share their lard-a$$ ways of sitting on the computer as opposed to actually working and flying.

Wow. Has somebody had too much coffee this morning? :dunno:

Wow. I don't believe I've ever been called a lard-a$$ so early in the morning before. :D (Truth be told, I've never been called a lard-a$$ -- at least to my knowledge -- and so publicly. Ouch!)

Dan, your post hurts my feelings. Any particular reason you feel the need to be so unkind? :confused:

Or just a social norm here on PoA? Or just polite for some reason?"

Nate, as you can see from Dan's post, *polite* is not one of his attributes.

Dan, would you please clarify what you mean by "Purple" = another privately owned forum with a select few High Priests who disdain anyone who doesn't share their lard-a$$ ways of sitting on the computer as opposed to actually working and flying."

I am getting ready to respond to your unenlightened comment, but don't want to waste my time on you if I don't need to.

No secrecy at all just the way things developed I suspect. folks on all the board do the same thing its not just here on POA. Since the template for each respective board is varying shades of one color thats is how they got their moniker. IIRC this got started when AOPA shut down their board which buy the way used to be Yellow. Then Chuck "Geebo" Haberle developed this board so many who were on the board could stay in touch.

We, Pilots of America aka POA is obviously blue

AOPAs board which actually came back after POA started is Red

The Pruple Board for Pilots ( thats actually what its called) started with some folks who left the newer AOPA board.

Some folks are members of one or two or all three. Not sure if it still exsits but some folk who were unhappy at the Purple board and formed the Orange Board.

Each board has its own personality. AOPA tolerates zero non aviation talk that means no talk about your new years eve plans or politics. It can also get pretty testy.

Purple seems to follow the rule if you don't have anything nice to say about someone don't say anything. They once discouraged conversation regarding a member that had an accident. If you do something bone headed you will rarely if ever see a comment calling you to task on your error. Thats the way the owner of the board wants it and it is her board so its ok. Doesn't make it a bad board or better board just different thats all.

POA or Blue tends to be a combination of the two. We have a political type forum and permit criticism of participants and calling someone to the mat so to speak but we don't let it get too far. One of the big differences that I see between the boards is that POA has several organized flyins per year when we get to meet other POAers as we call ourselvs. I think Purple may have one or two up in Vermont that I'd love to get too. but don't think Red /AOPA has any probably because they are so big it would be impractical.

We've had purple folks at blue board flyins and visa versa. For the most part folks just tend to hang out where their personality fits best. A chocolate / Vanilla kind of thing.

Last edited:

Wow. Nice.

Andy
(PB lard ass high priest)

P.S. Very well said, Adam.

Last edited:
Purple seems to follow the rule if you don't have anything nice to say about someone don't say anything. They once discouraged conversation regarding a member that had an accident. If you do something bone headed you will rarely if ever see a comment calling you to task on your error. Thats the way the owner of the board wants it and it is her board so its ok. Doesn't make it a bad board or better board just different thats all.

We've had purple folks at blue board flyins and visa versa. For the most part folks just tend to hang out where their personality fits best. A chocolate / Vanilla kind of thing.

I did do that once. But was shown the error of my ways and opened it back up. I have a tendency to want to protect the youngsters. (Mother hen syndrome -- it's a curse I tell you.)

Truth be told, I have a minimum amount of control over there -- I sort of count on everyone to moderate one another. Sometimes that doesn't work too well. :dunno:

I think all the boards have their good and bad qualities. I visit all three regularly -- happen to really like Jesse, Jason, Spike, you (Adam), and many of the other people who hang out here. I like the red board because it is a great source of information for pilots and pretty well run considering the personality of many pilots and the number of members.

No reason really to be nasty about any of them -- unless, of course, you have a nasty streak and just need to say unkind things. :confused:

And I don't mean you, Adam. I think you're a great guy and so appreciate what you contribute on all the boards. ;)

Dan, I'd also like to hear you expand upon your comments. My impression is that PB pilots fly the same amount as pilots on other boards...in fact, there's a lot of overlap as you found out when Kim posted a reply to your insult.

It's pretty easy just to type that kind of stuff into your computer and then get a cup of coffee isn't it? It would probably be a lot harder to say that to somebody's face though.

I think Purple may have one or two up in Vermont that I'd love to get too. but don't think Red /AOPA has any probably because they are so big it would be impractical.

Sometimes I hang out where the closest fly-in is located. :D

Actually, the red board does have fly-ins. The California group tries to get together often. Sometimes I post about fly-ins and the red people come.

I'm kind of a rainbow person. :D

To add one other important comment: there is no policy or rule precluding folks using the full name of other aviation boards here; the Rules of Conduct regulate how you behave at PoA, and that (as they say) is that. The Rules of Conduct are found here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_faq_rules_of_conduct

Key there, is the preclusion of solicitations and advertisements, except in the designated areas. That does not mean you cannot identify another web board where you find good conversation - these are, after all communities of like-minded people, not warring nation-states! So, if you pop up saying, "I was reading over on the Purple Board about some awesome toenail-painting," well, that's fine.

But, if you write a post advertising your new pilot shop and love toy emporium, it had better be in The Classifieds, or it will be subject to moving or deletion.

The use of terms like "Purple Board" and "Red Board" are not hiding anything - it's folks who spend a lot of time on the Great Global Interwebz using shorthand to (1) save keystrokes," and (2) show how cool they are. For example, I am among the very coolest.

Lastly, anyone who wonders what we're about, needs to re-read the Rules of Conduct; the most important concept is - don't be a jerk. We here in general aviation have enough mutts barking at us, without snapping at our compadres, too. Different styles, at different places, for different purposes, but think carefully about the effect of what you might say on someone else, before you post it, because it is easy to misinterpret what someone writes, and as one participant (whose name escapes me because I am getting old and stupid) likes to point out - "You can't unring a bell."

And, by the way, anyone who calls Purple Board administration "Lard A$$," has clearly never met Kim Pardon, who (in point of fact) is a babe.

Last edited:
And, by the way, anyone who calls Purple Board administration "Lard A$$," has clearly never met Kim Pardon, who (in point of fact) is a babe.

Thank you. I have some pretty handsome partners over there, too. ;)

And, as you know, I'm pretty crazy about you, too, Spike. ;)

See, Dan -- it really is kind of a mutual admiration society if you know how to play it just right. B)

p.s. Spike, spending most of March in F'burg -- maybe we'll catch you down there. :thumbsup:

p.s. Spike, spending most of March in F'burg -- maybe we'll catch you down there. :thumbsup:

:cornut: :thumbsup: :D :cheerswine: :ihih: :crazy: :goofy: :fcross:

We'll for sure be there at least once, I hope!

BTW you will also note folks just saying things like

" Over on Purple or over on Blue or over on Red" or POA or PB

Pilots just love to shorten things.

Last edited:
"Blue" = POA = Pilots of America we talk about whether or not you should put ketchup on hot dogs
"Purple" = The Purple Board for Pilots they talk about Pancakes alot.
"Red" = AOPA Can not talk about food becuase it is not aviation related

I'm sure Kim is as nice as can be.

I was on the PB about two weeks after being invited there by someone on here.

Someone asked a question and I responded and then a couple (two, IIRC) of the "lard a$$" types decided to school me in all things aviation.

I figured I'd had enough of that nonsense on rec.piloting.

I've had my share of disagreements and debates on here but I would and have (last year was my first PoA fly in at WV62) gladly meet anyone here in person (even Scott! :D )

My initial post on here was an over-broad denunciation of the whole board -- my apologies. It was meant to be facetious but was unkind.

Anyway, I've confined my internet board presence to here and the Aeronca board because there are only so many hours in a day.

I'm sure Kim is as nice as can be.

I try to use good manners. :wink2:

dmccormack said:
I was on the PB about two weeks after being invited there by someone on here.

Someone asked a question and I responded and then a couple (two, IIRC) of the "lard a$$" types decided to school me in all things aviation.

I hate it when that happens. Seems to be a universal problem on internet message boards. Life is too short to have to prove oneself to everyone everywhere. And if we could all just agree to respect one another and the opinions of others -- well, so much of that flaming one another stuff would go away. Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience there. Truly. I hate that.

dmccormack said:
I've had my share of disagreements and debates on here but I would and have (last year was my first PoA fly in at WV62) gladly meet anyone here in person (even Scott! :D )

I've met folks from all boards and, trust me, we're all the same in real life. Pretty nice people. Next time I breeze through western PA (was just there on my way to Av Shiloh's last October) I'd love to meet you. I'd like to make the Wings Fly-in this year, too. Sounds like a great event.

dmccormack said:
My initial post on here was an over-broad denunciation of the whole board -- my apologies. It was meant to be facetious but was unkind.

Don't you EVER call me a lard-a$$ again!!! :incazzato:

:D:D:D:D

sorry you caught us on a bad day, Dan - but two weeks isn't a very long time to really understand a burgeoning new board, such as ours. We've been going for a few years now and I think we've got a personality that's gelling, but that wasn't always the case as we wrangled things out and were deciding what and how to do things.

That said, I appreciate the clarification that you insult wasn't intended as such.

I've seen it, and there is definitely no lard involved there. :ihih:

don't tell flip

I've seen it, and there is definitely no lard involved there. :ihih:

don't tell flip

You're too sweet, Steve. :wink2:

Hey, we need to visit about the Ada air show. I want to bring the Bird Dog down. I'll send you a PM in a few days.

You're too sweet, Steve. :wink2:

Hey, we need to visit about the Ada air show. I want to bring the Bird Dog down. I'll send you a PM in a few days.

will be watching for it

too bad you couldn't make the 2010 edition, it was all about "women in aviation" if you can believe such a thing :crazy:

"Blue" = POA = Pilots of America we talk about whether or not you should put ketchup on hot dogs
Ron that is an excellent summary.

Did you know Tony Condon puts ketchup on bratwurst?? :frown2:

That's just wrong!!!! :rolleyes2:

hmmm i disagree. i love ketchup, and ketchup only, on my brats and hot dogs. every time i eat a hotdog with ketchup only on it i send a picture to scott migaldi to show him the error of his ways

Wow. I don't believe I've ever been called a lard-a$$ so early in the morning before. :D (Truth be told, I've never been called a lard-a$$ -- at least to my knowledge -- and so publicly. Ouch!)

Dan, your post hurts my feelings. Any particular reason you feel the need to be so unkind? :confused:

And since she can't whip me for it here... It's pretty much lard-free!

Edit - I see I'm preaching to the choir - and glad the fire self-extinguished. The dialogue here I think does credit to all involved.

And since she can't whip me for it here... It's pretty much lard-free!

Edit - I see I'm preaching to the choir - and glad the fire self-extinguished. The dialogue here I think does credit to all involved.

Thanks, Tim. And it didn't actually SELF-extinguish. Sensible people said lovely things to one another and we all lived happily ever after.

I love it when that happens. :)

hmmm i disagree. i love ketchup, and ketchup only, on my brats and hot dogs. every time i eat a hotdog with ketchup only on it i send a picture to scott migaldi to show him the error of his ways
When I get those pictures all I do is shake my head and remind myself that it is expected, after all he drinks water and calls it beer too. The man apparently has no taste buds and has not had his pallet glorified in the splendor of Chicago Style Hot Dogs! :D

The pics btw make me LOL!!! That's 'Tony fashion LOL' too! :D:D

Well... I am ordained and overweight, so that actually pegged me perfectly. :cheerswine: :D

Now that one is right on. :cornut:

And there are student pilot groups somewhere. And...

Used to call it the Green Board when I was a student over there...both from the color at the time, and the topic. I thought it was cute, but some folks considered it an insult. Anyway, the current color scheme is different... http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/forum.php

And Van's Air Force, or "VAF" is the other place I hang out: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php

Tons of other forums out there for different aviation niches though.

One historical item of note -- the "Yellow Board", the predecessor to all things "web board" in these parts. AOPA's original webboard.

Horrible software and you had to have thick skin and a Nomex firesuit to wade into Hangar Talk. But, in all reality, I get nostalgic for the old days. *sniff*

EDIT: Holy crap. It dawned on me, after posting this post, that I've been talking with some of you online for over a decade. 11 years since I first joined AOPA. Yikes.

Cheers,

-Andrew

When did the yellow board go down? I have been doing this for almost 9 now, I think.

One historical item of note -- the "Yellow Board", the predecessor to all things "web board" in these parts. AOPA's original webboard.

Horrible software and you had to have thick skin and a Nomex firesuit to wade into Hangar Talk. But, in all reality, I get nostalgic for the old days. *sniff*

EDIT: Holy crap. It dawned on me, after posting this post, that I've been talking with some of you online for over a decade. 11 years since I first joined AOPA. Yikes.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Some of the rec.aviation... refugees have been around since the '80s...

Geoff '[EMAIL="'AQ533@detroit.freenet.org"]AQ533@detroit.freenet.org'[/EMAIL] Thorpe

Two pages an no one really answered the question (at least not with a link). But we did get into ketchup...

LOL

Blue - right here www.pilotsofameraica.com
Purple - http://www.purpleboard.net/
Red - http://forums.aopa.org/

Others not mentioned:
http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/forum.php

And Oshkosh365 (don't have the link handy) (EAA board).

And there are student pilot groups somewhere.

And...

Nice summary - one important addition (IMHO):

A large bunch of pilots were terrorized on the Usenet rec.aviation.piloting newsgroup and fled hither and yon, this hither being one of those places. So if you ever see references to it, "rec.aviation," "r.a.p," or even "rap," you'll now know it means Usenet rec.aviation.piloting. Never heard of Usenet? It predates most of the Internet (originally distributed using serial modems via directed paths using the UUCP protocol) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Google has a web interface to Usenet, here is a link to r.a.p:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.piloting/topics?hl=en&lnk

Cheers,

-Andrew
I remember those days. :) I got on about 2002. Still have copies of many of those old threads that I printed off at the time. Ran across them not long ago. It was fun reading them again.

All of the above: Erroneous nay-saying on whether an airplane on a treadmill runway will take off.

Back