What to do in Boston?

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
I suddenly find myself in Boston on a dreary Monday afternoon with nothing on my calendar. What's an aviation-minded traveler to do? I've never been in the area, and would like to do a little sightseeing.

M

First, it is always dreary in Boston, so just pretend like that is normal.
I took the Freedom walk with my wife but I don't think that would have been much fun alone. The tour of "Old Ironsides" was quite interesting.

Other than that, the seafood is always good.

Not sure about aviation related, but the tour of the Sam Adams brewery was pretty cool. It's accessible by train, so you can safely partake in the free samples at the end of the tour. :D And/or you can visit the 'Cheers' bar/restaurant. Pretty touristy, but oh well...

One nice thing about Boston is that walking from one end of the city to the other isn't too much of a problem. Of course, we were there in May, so the weather was more suitable for street tours at that time. The city bus and subway system was surprisingly clean and 'safe' compared to NYC. We took a train to Harvard (now I can say I went to Harvard :)) and a bus back in to town easily and pretty inexpensively.

I like the way you think, Chris.

Looks like the Constitution isn't open for tours on Mondays, but i caught a glimpse of it. Now I'm off for a quick drive past MIT (my "coulda woulda shoulda" school of choice) and then maybe a stop at Fenway and Sam Adams before checking out the downtown area.

Thanks to all for the quick recommendations!

Btw, I know some pilots would argue that Sam Adams and flying are related, as long as they're always enjoyed in the right order!

M

I brought the family with me one week when I was working in Boston. They took the trolley tour around town and did the ducks on the Charles - they said they really enjoyed it. Not aviation related, however.

We did Bunker Hill and Old Ironsides - they were both interesting. Legal Seafood was ok but I didn't think lived up to its billing - found a restaurant down on the harbor that was good - advertised lobster and that's all I needed! Of course, that probably covers 80% of the dining there, so probably doesn't help much ...

If in the mood for food, walk to the North End, and pick any of the dozens of awesome family Italian restaurants. Get dessert at Mike's Pastries in the North End.

Or, go to the Union Oyster House, near Faneuil Hall. I think the natives will call it touristy, but I really love the place.

If in the mood for food, walk to the North End, and pick any of the dozens of awesome family Italian restaurants. Get dessert at Mike's Pastries in the North End.

Is that the place near Paul Revere's house? We walked around the city, but I got so turned around I don't know which direction we were going.

The "Cheers" bar only looks like the "Cheers" days from the outside. The inside is of no comparison to what you might expect from the TV program.

In the North End(Italian District) a really good restaurant is Villa Francesca, at 150 Richmond Street/corner of Hanover Street. I've been going there for over 30 years, though I don't get back to Boston often enough.

HR

Oh; and don't miss Union Oyster House(near Quincy Market) and Fan. Hall.

(Pictures from Nov. 27, 2010)

Attachments

• Villa Francesca_1.jpg
    Villa Francesca_1.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Villa Francesca_2.jpg
    Villa Francesca_2.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Union Oyster House_1.jpg
    Union Oyster House_1.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 5
  • Union Oyster House_2.jpg
    Union Oyster House_2.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Call me and get dinner tonight!

Boston is my hometown, and I'd second lots of what has been mentioned. Here's a different one: if you go to the top of Summit Ave (in Brookline, not Winthrop) at night, you get a great view of some of Boston and across the river. When I was a grad student, I often went there to look out at the lights, and calm myself down!

If it weren't so damn cold you could go to Winthrop or Revere and walk along the beach. Do that now, and you will cry.

I always enjoy walking around Faneuil Hall.

And while you're there, have a bite at Durgin Park.

I enjoyed the freedom trail, and being a geek and having read Steven Levy's "Hackers," I had to go visit MIT just to look at the TMRC and such.

I also ate at the Bull and Finch Pub (better known as "Cheers" but it only looks like Cheers from the outside). Sure, it's a tourist attraction now, but the food was actually pretty decent too.

Is that the place near Paul Revere's house? We walked around the city, but I got so turned around I don't know which direction we were going.

It is - as well as the Old North Church (One if by land, two if by sea, etc. etc.) I love that area of Boston. I hope you had fun.

It is - as well as the Old North Church (One if by land, two if by sea, etc. etc.) I love that area of Boston. I hope you had fun.

Yeah, that was a really cool area.

I was impressed with Boston overall as far as remaining old architecture. Some cities have 'old areas' that really aren't very functional. It looked like Boston had figured out how to use the 'old' stuff for new purposes.

main.php

And those pastries were AWESOME!!!

main.php

MIT? You definitely don't go there for the campus. Ugh.

Boston is a great place. Easy to walk around, fun to explore. Traffic, and traffic patterns, scuk. Shudda caught a Bruins game at the WhateverBank Center.

Shudda caught a Bruins game at the WhateverBank Center.

It's the TD Garden now. I am so sick of them changing names.

Late to the thread, as usual, but there are so many things to see and do in Boston.

My personal choice, if pressed for time, is a walk up the waterfront to the North End, dinner at Maurizio's, and a cannoli from Modern' Pastry (Mike's is for tourist pikers) eaten at Christopher Columbus park.

Alternatively, there are always the breweries (I recommend Harpoon over Sam Adams) and bars (one of the top bars in America is in Brookline -- The Publick House).

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back