Scary takeoff and landings at Newhalem Bay State at Manzanita, OR

Looking at the windsock in the first video... What wind..?

The wind is coming over and around 1,800ft terrain to the north, it gets turbulent on the leeward side of that hill, and you get rotor off of the tree line at the threshold of 33.

The windsock shouldn't be relied on for accurate wind info, it's sheltered. The winds just over the trees can be substantially different to those at ground level.

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking as much about wind, but what about how heavily he was loaded and the elevation he was dealing with? Is it a high airport or what?

No, not high, just 22ft elevation (feels lower than that).

Really? In the video, I thought it looked high haha whoops!

So, Chris, what is your technique for getting in and out of the place?

The only thing that comes to my mind is to try and keep it low to let the plane accelerate in ground effect, then zoom to try and pierce the rotor quickly. But then I'm a student, I don't know any tricks.

Maybe there's a suggested turn?

Looks to be slow and a high angle of attack. About midway he appears to sink and he suddenly pulls up, making it worse. For a second there, I thought he was going to mush it into the ground like the crash in Columbia.

Seems to me it would have been better to keep the nose down to get the speed up.

The first thing to do is try and avoid flying at times when the winds are up, on the Coast they usually start 11-12:00am.

If you need to take-off build up speed on the runway or in ground effect, the guy in the video looked like he did a short-field with flaps. As has been said he was slow with a high AOA, he was really at the mercy of the wind and gusts. I think people get intimidated with the trees and mountain at Nehalem and feel they need to get up as soon as they can, it's a 2300ft+ runway so it's not THAT short. We have no way of knowing what the loading was on the Cessna that may have played it's part in the near miss as well.

It's obviously easier getting an idea of the winds and fog conditions flying into Nehalem than getting out, although you may not be experiencing any turbulence at approach altitude. However, seeing the terrain to the north and the treelines you should be aware of the potential for turbulence and rotors at the threshold of 33 if the wind is significant. I've experienced them at a windspeed as low as approx. 10kts, prevailing winds in the area are from the north/northwest so they are pretty predictable.

Last edited:
Holy crap! I cannot believe either of those vids. My wife would swear off flying with me forever if either the takeoff or landing had happened to us.

Needs a lower approach. You're coming in over the water landing to the north, get under the rotor, don't go through it.

Needs a lower approach. You're coming in over the water landing to the north, get under the rotor, don't go through it.

There's a public footpath 20 yards from the threshold, and there is a drop-off down to the beach just before that. I came in pretty low one time and still felt some roll from the trees. Another option would be to do a steep approach over the rotors and land a third of the way down the runway.

Back