[n/a] - Political post (I should know better but I have faith in the blue board)

What do you think of the Alito hearings?

• I'm right of center - he should be confirmed

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • I'm right of center - he should not be confirmed

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I'm left of center - he should be confirmed

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • I'm left of center - he should not be confirmed

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
Just curious. I intentionally forced folks to either claim "right wing" or "left wing". I do know that it's not that simple.

gibbons said:
Just curious. I intentionally forced folks to either claim "right wing" or "left wing". I do know that it's not that simple.
Oh, man - politics AND abortion? Why didn't you throw a prayer in there, too! :eek:

I'll vote later...

etsisk said:
Oh, man - politics AND abortion? Why didn't you throw a prayer in there, too! :eek:

I'll vote later...

Don't forget evolution vs. creationism and we will have a big bonfire.

Sorry, I don't want to vote in this poll. I like have the blue board being an apoltical zone. I'll fight those battles on the red board where the daily headset, when did you solo, and other stale topics are the only other order of business . There is too much usefull aviation info here to allow it to get mudled in the quagmire of political discourse.

I suppose you want to initiate dialog too. The man has integrity, is deliberate, is skilled in the law, and possesses a sound understanding of the intent of the judiciary as spelled out in the constitution. He also has an understanding of the historical context of the issues. His character and proficiency is enough for me.

Any debate against his appointment is purely political and is without merit in the confines of the qualities for the nomination.

I've said my piece, I probabaly won't be coming back to this thread.

Our school is Hot Hot Hot.......Oh man please help me get this freakin song out of my head!!!!!!! I vote for no more school promo videos that have HOT HOT HOT in them.....Help me:rofl:

Richard said:
I suppose you want to initiate dialog too. The man has integrity, is deliberate, is skilled in the law, and possesses a sound understanding of the intent of the judiciary as spelled out in the constitution. He also has an understanding of the historical context of the issues. His character and proficiency is enough for me.

Any debate against his appointment is purely political and is without merit in the confines of the qualities for the nomination.

I've said my piece, I probabaly won't be coming back to this thread.
Well put. He should be confirmed for the same reasons that Bader-Ginsberg was confirmed -- as an accomplished jurist, not as an ideologue.

Doug R said:
Our school is Hot Hot Hot.......Oh man please help me get this freakin song out of my head!!!!!!! I vote for no more school promo videos that have HOT HOT HOT in them.....Help me:rofl:

That song could've used a little more cowbell if you ask me.

saint_walken.gif

gibbons said:
Honestly, I can't even vote, Chip - really, maybe you get a reasonable discourse, but usually - at it's worst - it's a slippery slope that ends up in cesspools like the Soapbox on the red board. But to have discourse, we would have to deal in opinions, not pronouncements - which just irritate the folks of a different point of view, and then it all starts. Ack.

I really like this board. It's a breath of fresh air - I'm staying apolitical here, just like I quit on Soapbox.

etsisk said:
...but usually - at it's worst - it's a slippery slope that ends up in cesspools like the Soapbox on the red board.

Tom,

I thought about that quite a bit before I posted the poll. Like the title says, I have faith in the blue board, that we can discuss politics occasionally without it degrading into name calling. I guess we'll see. There is, after all, a reason my total post count on the red board is zero.

It wasn't my intention to use the poll or post as a bully pulpit (unlike Soap Box). You'll notice I haven't offered an option. I am genuinely interested in what a group if reasonably informed and intelligent people thought of the hearings and of Judge Alito.

gibbons said:
Tom,

I thought about that quite a bit before I posted the poll. Like the title says, I have faith in the blue board, that we can discuss politics occasionally without it degrading into name calling. I guess we'll see. There is, after all, a reason my total post count on the red board is zero.

It wasn't my intention to use the poll or post as a bully pulpit (unlike Soap Box). You'll notice I haven't offered an option. I am genuinely interested in what a group if reasonably informed and intelligent people thought of the hearings and of Judge Alito.
Seems to me that there are two very distinct questions in there:

1. The process.

2. Alito.

IMO, the process was a joke. Senators on both sides acted like buffoons, and there was no serious inquiry into Alito's qualifications. Schumer (sp?) may be right -- maybe nominations should go directly to the full Senate.

I saw nothing in the hearings that undermined Alito's qualifications. Some may not like his political tilt, but nobody can say he's not qualified.

YMMV ;)

RotaryWingBob said:
. Some may not like his political tilt, but nobody can say he's not qualified.

His political tilt is to uphold the Constitution, not legislate from the bench to cure societies perceived ills and undermine the legislative process.

Anthony said:
His political tilt is to uphold the Constitution, not legislate from the bench to cure societies perceived ills and undermine the legislative process.
No arguement from me, Anthony :yes:

But there's lots of folks who seem to think that a justice should have a political tilt. In their direction, of course :rolleyes:

RotaryWingBob said:
Well put. He should be confirmed for the same reasons that Bader-Ginsberg was confirmed -- as an accomplished jurist, not as an ideologue.

Yup!!

gibbons said:

Correct. Not everyone fits those two categories.

tom. said:
Correct. Not everyone fits those two categories.
And everyone knows you need both wings to fly. :D

OK, that was bad. :rolleyes:

Back