I graduated on Saturday

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
After almost 30 yrs of working and saving, 10 months of training, 101.5 hrs of flying, 60 flights, 21 airports, 255 landings, and 1 CFI, I passed my PP-ASEL checkride Saturday morning.

Just figured I'd pass along the news.

Matt

Matthew said:
After almost 30 yrs of working and saving, 10 months of training, 101.5 hrs of flying, 60 flights, 21 airports, 255 landings, and 1 CFI, I passed my PP-ASEL checkride Saturday morning.

Just figured I'd pass along the news.

Matt

Matt, congrats! Fly long and prosper!

Congratulations. I guess you're now in aviation "grad school".

what a great feeling huh :) .. congratulations! tell us how the checkride went.

I'll add my congratulations too, for your success in passing but particularly for sticking with it. Well done.

Ahh, the checkride: It had to be rescheduled several times because of weather. I ended up taking the oral Friday, then the flight Saturday because the ceilings never lifted Friday as predicted. This gave me one more day to get nervous all over again. Add that stress to the fact that the only time the plane was available was at 7AM and I think I only got a couple hours of sleep.

I'm sure I made a very good first impression. Just as soon as we closed the door, I had that deer in the headlights look when I realized I'd forgotten the chocks. Being a Warrior, the DPE had to get out. DPE was understanding and was trying very hard to calm me down. I will forever be grateful for his attitude throughout the checkride.

We started with soft and short takeoffs and landings. I was so concerned with 'don't screw this up' that I ended up bungling my way through the sorriest landings I can remember. My CFI had pounded into my head that I should recite the procedures out loud for all of the manuevers I was about to do. That way I could at least show that I knew the elements of what I was supposed to do, even if I messed them up while doing them.

The XC and diversion were almost no-brainers. Navigation has always come very easily for me.

The hoodwork, slow flight, stalls, steep turns, engine out, slip, turns about a point were perfect. I'm one of those students that is very hard on himself and can always find something wrong with something I have done, but not this time.

Headed home and finished up with a short field landing that I nailed - aimed for the start of the second stripe, touched down on the end of the second stripe, full stall, smooth, stable, everything.

I think he kept trying to distract me during the taxi back to parking, but I wasn't having any of that.

During the postflight, while the DPE kept telling me everything I did well, I kept thinking about all the rookie mistakes I made at the start.

Part of me wants to do it over again just to show that I really CAN remember the chocks, that I really CAN make good landings the first time.

Now, I just have to get over the fact that my savings account is nothing but a smoking hole, and get back out and have FUN.

Matt

It's fun to read the details of your ride. Congrats!!!

Congrats. That's outstanding.

Hooray! I can look up to you as my inspiration, since your time-span just about matches mine as far as start to...well, hoping I get finished now, too! Congratulations!

Awesome Matt,
Doesn't it feel great!

:yes: Great job Matt!
Just keep on smilin'
Make everybody else who hasn't tried, wonder what it's like. tel 'em to get in and try it!

w00t! Congrats!

You, sir, are now the Win!

Doesn't it feel great to shed the "student" part of your title? Time to add PP/ASEL to your signature!

Well done! Congratulations. :happydance:

Hey, thanks all.

Rudy, I'll probably ease my wife into getting used to flying, then try her out on an easy XC. PTS is just about the right distance from OJC for that. I'll be sure to give you a heads-up if/when we go.

Matt

(oh, yeah - PP/ASEL)

Matthew said:
Hey, thanks all.

Rudy, I'll probably ease my wife into getting used to flying, then try her out on an easy XC. PTS is just about the right distance from OJC for that. I'll be sure to give you a heads-up if/when we go.

Matt

(oh, yeah - PP/ASEL)
Let me know Matt, I will be there in a heartbeat!

Now try to top this!

Follow up:

#$))*(#!!!

Because of the rescheduled checkride at the last minute and bad weather the last couple of days, I haven't been able to take my 'first passenger', my wife, for a ride.

Then, to top it off, I just finished spending the night in the ER with a kidney stone and am now grounded until it's out of my system. I'm working with AOPA and have asked Dr. Bruce for advice, but this really sucks.

Patience, grasshopper.

Back