Gaston's Drive In Film Selection

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So I am already starting to collect film snippets, shorts, etc., for showing at the Gaston's Drive In (movies under the stars, by the runway). Lots of short and fun "intermission" bits, but I am accepting recommendations for the main event.

Obvious possibilities:

The High and the Mighty
Fate is the Hunter (anyone got that?)
Pushing Tin
The Ed Frederick Story (How one man overcame inertia and apathy, and secured re-opening of a piece of Vital National Aviation Infrastructure)
One Six Right (I haven't bought it yet...)

The suggestion box is (ding) open.

SCCutler said:
So I am already starting to collect film snippets, shorts, etc., for showing at the Gaston's Drive In (movies under the stars, by the runway). Lots of short and fun "intermission" bits, but I am accepting recommendations for the main event.

Obvious possibilities:

The High and the Mighty
Pushing Tin
The Ed Frederick Story (How one man overcame inertia and apathy, and secured re-opening of a piece of Vital National Aviation Infrastructure)

I suggest Top Gun.

Can we sit in our airplanes, clip little speaker boxes over the windows, and run get Milk Duds between shorts?

Bill Jennings said:
Airplane!

I sure picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue!

SCCutler said:
I sure picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue!

We should keep track of how many threads wind up with Airplane! quotes... :)

Over Macho Grande?

Try HOT SHOTS (one) and of course AIRPLANE
plus, all other flying films ever made with only the flight scenes snipped and looped together. It works well for pilots.

I have got to go with Nick on this one,

Top Gun!! (even though i have seen it close to a thousand times.)

HPNFlyGirl said:
John Cuzack is such a hottie. I think we should watch Pushing Tin.

Although I won't be attending, Pushing Tin is a great movie and surprisingly the set is fairly identical to the real NY TRACON. They even placed the EWR area correctly, although it's MUCH darker in the real TRACON and it the radar room is on the 2nd floor.

The writer did a fairly good job with all the terminology and the only thing that wasn't accurate (without being real picky) was the actual scope.

Have fun @ Gaston's, and maybe I'll be able to attend next year!

"Delta, make the turn or I'll spin ya...you'll land nice and easy sometime before Christmas.......090 Delta XXXX"

Jason

"The Rocketeer"!!! :goofy:

"The Great Race"!!! :rofl:

Cloud Dancer! Cornball plot, but the best flying scenes ever.

What? No calls for Iron Eagle I-IV ? :rofl:

Wel i have )ne Six Right, and The Avaitor, if you want me to bring them along.

Dave G:blueplane:

How about this short movie from last year titled: One for the Mooney-Two for the Show, starring Micheal Driggs.

Gary Miesch said:
How about this short movie from last year titled: One for the Mooney-Two for the Show, starring Micheal Driggs.

ACK, Nobody wants to see that again...

Toby said:
Can we sit in our airplanes, clip little speaker boxes over the windows, and run get Milk Duds between shorts?

Milk Duds and beer :D

Toby said:

Um..hello. Broadcast with a < 1 W transmitter on Gaston's CTAF!!!

SCCutler said:

Obvious possibilities:

The High and the Mighty
Pushing Tin

"Repo Man" has a flying chevy.

I've got a complete set of "Aileron" videos. And "Wide World of Flying" :)

How bout some "Flying" movies

Flying Deuces
Flying Down to Rio
Flying Cadets
Flying Leathernecks
Flying Tigers
Keep'em Flying
Flying Fortress

If you want to make this an "educational" program I could bring "How to Fly the P-38, P-47, B-25, A-26, P-61" videos. Or the history of EDW AFB...

Toby said:
Cloud Dancer! Cornball plot, but the best flying scenes ever.

I have Cloud Dancer on VHS, bootlegged over to DVD. I'll bring it along in case it gets a favorable vote score.

I still have the original Michael Driggs and his Mooney-Gaston takeoff on VHS if anyone is interested. I won't be there but the video could be. :yes:

gibbons said:
Hey Spike, is movie night Friday or Saturday night?

Chip, way, way ahead of me there. I intend on arriving Friday, and I guess it all depends upon what else gloms into the schedule. As far as I am concerned, it can be both nights. Hey, who's gonna stop me?

It occurs to me that, if someone with the equipment and tech-savvy-ness is there, we could even pick a few choice moments from the arrival parade / judging to slip in for a fun reel.

Whatever, my plan is to bring along a computer and a projector (have to buy one, but plan on getting one for the firm some day anyway, so bound to have it by then anyway...), and have some content along (either stored on HD or on DVD/CD).

Yeah, I know, too much complication, but it combines my two passiosn: flying and tech toys. Plus, good opportunity to get somewhat up to speed on storing and manipulating video on 'puters.

By that time Serenity will be for sale. Good flying in that, DC3 controls and all.

Eamon said:
Rocky Horror Picture Show

:blowingkisses:

Eraserhead

:hairraise:

Oh, YEAH!

Everybody has to dress as their favorite character....

wsuffa said:
Oh, YEAH!

Everybody has to dress as their favorite character....

Dammit, Janet!

How about Folks! if anybody has a copy. (I haven't seen it yet, but parts were filmed at my local airport, and I'd love to see it). I also vote for (and can bring) One Six Right or Island in the Sky. I can also bring a few episodes of Sky King on DVD, or The Aviator or The High and the Mighty.

Back