Where to stay in NYC?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I am trying to book business travel to NYC for a class at Columbia University, and I need to find a good place to stay.

I'd like to stay somewhat close to times square, so that I have something to do in my off time. Anyone have any suggestions? Price is not important, niceness is, however.

Edit: I'm looking at the Marriott Marquis....advice?

Last edited:
The Hilton at 6th Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) is a good business hotel. You may spend close to 500 bucks a night, but I usually manage to get a room for around 300. I get corporate discounts when I've gone, though. There are a number of nice hotels in that general area. How much is your company willing to spend?

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/NYCNHHH-Hilton-New-York-New-York/index.do

Nick you don't need to stay in Times Square to find something to do in NYC. I wouldn't stay near Columbia as last I was there it was a bit dicey. The Village is a lot of fun but certainly a long cab ride or subway ride to Columbia. I'm sure some of the local guys like Danos or Ted who lived in NY will check in and give you good info.

I loved the Affinia Dumont. The rooms are quite spacious (including a full kitchen) and the on-site restaurant is great. You can take the 4 or 6 from the station that's 1 block away down to 14th/Lexington/Union Square and you'll be a block from Columbia.

No budget? How about the Pierre? Or the Peninsula? I like 'em both. :wink2:

I've stayed at any number of places in NYC. The Marquis is a great hotel - IMHO, it's fare better than the nearby Hilton properties - and it's right on Times Square. The only complaint I had was the elevators were slow, but I understand they've done something about that. Ask for a higher floor on the south side.

I like the Algonquin for it's history. Then again, I love jazz. It's now a Westin property. Near Grand Central Terminal, but convenient.

Waldorf: decent, but a bit tired last time I stayed there. Have a Waldorf Salad in the cafe downstairs.

Nick. When are you coming and how long are you staying?

I always like the Plaza. Not a fan of the Pierre.

Sheraton Manhattan and the one around the corner from it, can't recall the name, used to be the Sheraton City Squire - decent hotels far enough up from TS to be quiet but still close to the action.

I like the Sheraton near Time Square. If that's the part of town you really want. $270.00 per night is what I paid. Clean, Quiet, and Smoke Free.

I like the Sheraton near Time Square. If that's the part of town you really want. $270.00 per night is what I paid. Clean, Quiet, and Smoke Free.

Yeah Tim. I can't imagine you'd be much of a smoker B)

I wound up just booking the Marriott Marquis. I get points, and I know that as a Marriott, it can't be that bad.

I'll be in NYC from October 31 to November 4th, but I'll be busy every day except the evening of the 3rd/morning of the 4th. If anyone wants to hang out, let me know.

I wound up just booking the Marriott Marquis. I get points, and I know that as a Marriott, it can't be that bad.

I'll be in NYC from October 31 to November 4th, but I'll be busy every day except the evening of the 3rd/morning of the 4th. If anyone wants to hang out, let me know.

Lets try to get together

Back